HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 05-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #4601
dc1320Fan

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
S&K speed Shop LO23. Sold to The Mutt Bros. Beside the Dart is the ex S&M BO29. Photo from Allen Coard

liteweight

The S&M Barracuda is the 69 lightweight match race car that was also run in B/G at Indy Nationals in Sept 69. Last raced by S&M at Pomona Feb 70 and OCIR P/S race 2 weeks later with Don Carlton driving at Pomona and I think Butch Leal at OCIR. The Mutt Brothers had a deposit on the car at the time. It is one of two unaccounted for S&M "Racecars" today. (DC)
dc1320Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #4602
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Just a "GREAT" picture!

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #4603
modelman1960

Liked 55 Times in 22 Posts
Smile Re: Original hemi dart information

Great photo with a young Jim, James, Jimmy Daniels at the helm.
Don't know which name he likes to go by now. When he was younger(early teens) he asked me to build a replica of his Dad's car.
Attached pic. This was before Slixx Decal Co. started producing the decal sheet for this Dart. Mine were custom made to the tune of $300.00.
Hope he still likes the replica now that he's got the 1:1 scale car to drive.
Walt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim Daniels 147.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	39712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim Daniels 148.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	39713  
modelman1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #4604
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

So word has it there was a loud HemiDart out stretching its legs last weekend

Charlie A tells me he can't see the pics I'm posting. Anyone else seeing an X in a small box rather than a picture I'm posting.

The above pic is from a Photo hosting site.The below pic is from my phone

liteweight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_163509_006[1].jpg
Views:	218
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	39714  
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #4605
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO23 View Post
Um, yeah... we're gonna need some video. :-)
Tried loading a video, but this forum won't allow that size to be added.

liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #4606
Charlie A
VIP Member

This picture shows fine but some of the previous ones are still voided.

Hmm?

Last edited by Charlie A; 05-24-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #4607
TheDane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All, I'm the new guy here.

WOW! This thread must be a world record, if not by the number of posts, then by the time it has been alive - and it certainly IS alive, and will probably be, until the whole world know everything about the full history of Daryl's car.

I was inspired by reading the HotRod article (http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...ight-side-view) about the Landy car, and wanted to know more details about LO23's, so I googled myself right into this thread, where I have been trapped for the last 2 weeks of great, great history lessons.

It is not much I can add to the research, from my position in Denmark, except from coming up with a few ideas, so here is my first:

As far as I can see, there is only one known color picture of car, namely the on with the unique dent on the quarter panel, which by 99.99% certainty links the identy to Daryl's car.

As I rebember (after reading 4.000+ posts ... can have missed a few ), it has always been described as "the silver Dart" with "Manhattan Speed Parts (or Shop)" lettering on the front fenders.

1) I'm not convinced that the car was actually silver, when that photo was taken. The reflections indicate that it is most likely a metallic, but the color is actullay light purple or light blue on the pic, rather than plain silver.

Every color picture has it's level of mis-coloring, especially when the picture is from the 60'es, printed in an almost 50 years old magazine, and eventually scanned and shown on a computer screen - which are all different - so this could easily make a silver car looking light purple or blue.

But if you compare the red/silver Coronet in the foreground, which is almost certainly a plain silver, there is actually a clear color difference between the silver faces of that car and the Dart.

The Dart's color looks much closer to this one, on the picture:

(source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5087d27429.jpg)

... wich, when you see it in real, could be a much more destinct purple, like this:

(source: http://blog.consumerguide.com/photo-...hardtop-coupe/)

Not a bad color, if you want some attention to your race car and your sponsors, given the fact at all your competitors already use all the signal colors, for the same purpose, right?

(And maybe it could distinguish Daryl's car from all the other red LO23's too, even in a historically authentic way )

This is not an evidence, that it was actually purpe or blue, but if everybody ask for a silver car, which was actually purple or blue, it could have mislead the whole research.

I'm sure that If sombody ask me if I remember a yellow Nova on our local strip, when I was young, I would'nt have a clue. But if you ask me if I remember an orange one, I could tell you a lot about one particular Nova and its owner.

2) It has been descriped in many posts here, that "Manhattan Speed Parts (or Shop)" was letted on the front fenders, but none of the pictures, here in the thread (color as well as B&W), actually show such lettering. I only see the shop mentioned in the caption.

It seems like there might be some white lettering on the upper part of the doors, but it is far too blurred to read it, if it is a lettering at all.

So this could be another potential mislead, if there never - or only by a single/few occasions - was such a lettering, and never shown in the press.

But if there actually were a white lettering on the doors, or anywhere else, its actually another indication that the car was not silver .... cause who would ever paint white letters on a silver background?

Don't give up!

TheDane
TheDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #4608
beekool

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hey Daryl, Dane might be onto something!
beekool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #4609
LO23

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
Tried loading a video, but this forum won't allow that size to be added.

liteweight
If you care to, upload your video to an offsite photo-hosting site like photobucket, snapfish, Flickr, etc, and then just post the link here.

It would be great if we had a gallery of LO23 photos and videos to view easily, without having to go through years and years of posts.
LO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #4610
Charlie A
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO23 View Post
If you care to, upload your video to an offsite photo-hosting site like photobucket, snapfish, Flickr, etc, and then just post the link here.

It would be great if we had a gallery of LO23 photos and videos to view easily, without having to go through years and years of posts.

The pictures drop off after an unknown ( to me anyway) period of time. That is why we keep reposting them. They would do the same thing in another topic. Actually I enjoy going back through the older posts looking for more pictures. So many stories here that are forgotten with time.