HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
js72mav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default EGT readings

I am wondering if there is a ball park reading for an EGT reading in my SBF 289, with an automatic trans. When comparing stick shift with automatic and just different engine combos there seems to be a difference in the finally reading. Thanks for your help!

Jamie
js72mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts
Default Re: EGT readings

No, not really. There is only a point at which the EGT is telling you that your temperatures are so high as to signal something dangerous is going on, or so low as to signal that little or no power is being produced.

One tool you can use is Larry Meaux's PipeMax software, found at maxracesoftware.com. Enter all of your information into that program, and it will provide you with a general target EGT. Those readings are general readings to compare to dyno pulls, based on Larry's decades of experience with dyno testing.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 280 Posts

Don't ever try to "target " an EGT as being your "Best". Too many Variables to make EGT what you tune by. BTY I've seen some real cold EGT's melt pistons. Heat in the chamber, not in the ex is what happened!! I have changed the Ex lash and lost power and got higher EGT's. I've added timing and cooled EGT's and lost power...Use EGT as a reference when you tune.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
CFMCNC

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

WE no longer use EGTs for dyno testing ,We have Wideband O2s on each cylinder and read spark plugs for tuning,EGTs will show high with a over rich condition burning fuel in the exhaust port,Easy to get lost with EGT numbers.Bill C.
CFMCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
James L Miller

Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts

I think that you would look for even EGT numbers in all the cylinders, not for an absolute value. This article is pretty much on target for EGT peaking around the stoichiometric A/F ratio, and then dropping off on either side of it. The wideband O2 sensors are probably the better solution except they get fouled by leaded fuels.

http://www.sdsefi.com/techegt.htm
Old 08-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
astikhossw

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Smile Re: EGT readings

Just a curious question I thought having EGT on the exhaust was to follow which way the air fuel mixtures were going like if you had a 2 or 3 cylinder that are high on one side of the engine and lower on the other side you could try to redirect some of the mixture to balance out the cylinders.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 280 Posts

"If" the mixture is what is causing the EGT difference, yes. There are many variables besides mixture that can cause EGT differences. To list just a few: Rocker ratio differences, cam twist, ignition timing variation, intake air flow & Ex air flow, Compression differences, cam/valve timing & even spark plug heat range differences. What I was trying to say is EGT and now O2's are only part of the tuning equation. Never base a complete tuneup on just an EGT reading & never let anyone tell you you have to have a certain EGT. Find the EGT# where your combination makes the most power. Then when the conditions change record the change and tune around it.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
js72mav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Jamie
js72mav is offline   Reply With Quote