HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
denny harvey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default camaro master cylinder

I just put wilwood 4-wheel heavy duty disc brakes on my 67 camaro,i run the car at muscle car drags and would like to use a stock type master cylinder.does anyone know of a stock style i can use ?i know i have to run a wilwood proportioning valve for the back brakes.i have heard you can use a 68-72 vette non power one.any info will help..thanks
denny harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
bob gonier

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: camaro master cylinder

Yup, you got it...........68-72 Manual brake corvette. All vettes had 4 wheel disc so you'll be good to go. I just put one on a car myself.

bob
bob gonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
denny harvey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the reply bob.the local napa store has one waiting on me..i see alot of guys use the wilwood master cylinder,so i hope this stock one will work as good..its no big deal but the more stock the car looks the better..hopefully i wont have to drag my feet anymore to stop this thing...lol...
Old 08-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
Arnold Greene

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: camaro master cylinder

Unless your caliper pistons are the same size, F & R, you will not need a proportioning valve. The Corvettes used a brake block from 67 forward, but it was only to turn on a warning light if you lost fluid. It did not incorporate a proportioning valve because the front pistons were larger than the rear. Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
denny harvey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arnold,never gave that a thought..i will call wilwood about piston size.i dont mind using the wilwood master cylinder if it will work better, but i prefer the stock look.what brake set up do you use on that bad stocker of yours?i have seen your car before [ it is bad ] lol..thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Arnold Greene

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Denny, I used the same Corvette m/c that you are going to install, for years. I've used it with stock GM disc/drum brakes(with a residual pressure valve in the rear, to prevent lock up with the drum brakes) and I have used it with Lamb disc/GM drum brakes and it performed flawlessly. It is now on a 65 vette that I converted to a dual m/c brake system. I changed to a Wilwood m/c last winter, strictly for the weight (8 or 9#)reduction. I cannot get to class minimum wt. If you decide to go that route, you will have to modify it so it will bolt on. Good luck. Let me know if I can help.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
denny harvey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arnold,thanks for your reply.I picked up the vette M/C and a wilwood prop valve [the guy at jegs said pistons are the same size ]also a hurst line-loc,will get new lines this weekend,so i hope that will finish off the brakes.I hope to get the car out soon and work on my big pain [ my clutch set-up ]..wish i could afford youngblood..lol..i have a soft-loc & jerico deal..i have seen this clutch problem on this forum too many times to bring it up again.thanks for your help guys...denny