HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts
Default Re: Bellhousing Breakage

Jody: I have stock rubber mounts on the motor and trans. I place a pair of jackstands on the front frame rails and a pair under the rear axle when I jack it up to change trans., etc. It has an H&R Parts 'n' Stuff anti-roll bar in the rear which stiffened up the car quite a bit. For example, if you jack up the left front under the lower control arm, a little bit after the left front wheel is off the ground, the right front comes off shortly after. Prior to the installation of the anti-roll bar, the left front, for example, would have to be way off the ground before the right front tire would raise off the ground, so the anti-roll bar definitely stiffened up the chassis. PS- Tell Toby I said "Hi"
Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
dennis dunlap

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jim ,We had tranny case problems when we brought out the chevelle travis races,broke one on the chassis dyno, got to asking around and another racer with a similer combination suggested leaving the bolts on the cross member with a little bit of movement room between the cross member and tranny mount .... worked for us !! Kenny shawver makes a neat brace for the turbo 350 also . Dennis Rocketworks racecars
dennis dunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
glen myers

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Buy Shawver's brace it solved my problems after 3 broken cases in the 71 455 lo compression F/SA car after going from TH400 to TH350
glen myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
BillK

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Jim,

When I first built by 67 Camaro bracket car many years ago, I had the same problem with the TH400 behind a fairly decent small block. First time I just wrote it off as a fluke, second time six months later, my trans builder said "the drive shaft is out of balance" I could not feel any vibration going down track, small block turning around 7k rpm but . . I had a new shaft built and never had the problem again.

Might be at least worth checking.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Thank you very much for the responses. I'm installing a brace on it.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
Monte Howard

Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts

Jim, I had rubber motor mounts and rubber trans mount and a turn buckle on the pass. Side of motor for years no problems. Moved the turn buckle (engine brace) to the driver side and broke two cases. Removed the rubber motor mounts and put solid mounts on the engine, left the rubber trans mount and put the turn buckle back on the pass side and problem solved.

For some reason I think the problem was when I moved my turn buckle to the driver side.