HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #31
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel check question

I've seen Sunoco, Rocket, Torco, and C12 all mixed in one jug pass as Sunoco Purple. Never personally had a problem myself either and I 50/50 mix pump gas and 110 when bracket racing. VP, Sunoco and Torco have all passed in my car when pours on top of whatever was in the cell.
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #32
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A couple of other items to keep in mind concerning race gas . One , the color does not and can not determine whether a race gas is legal . A perfectly legal fuel can be off slightly in color due to small variations in batch production . And the color blue or purple can describe many brands and octanes . I know of a blue race gasoline that's 100 unleaded . The color is merely a guide , if the fuel you're claiming to have is supposed to be red but the sample you're submitting is blue , there's a problem . Renegade 110 is purple , Renegade 112 is blue , Renegade 114 is turquoise , Renegade 116 is red , Renegade 120 is rose .
Race gasoline kept under ideal conditions has a shelf life of approx. 1 1/2 to 2 years . Once it's been opened , about half that long . Fuel that's stored incorrectly can go off in far less time . Race gas stored in metal drums or cans lasts the longest , race gas in tanks less so , and race gas in tanks that are open to the atmosphere much less so . Plastic jugs are actually the worst way to store race gas .
And lastly , there is race gas tech and then there is race gas tech . A local track may miss a fuel sample that should be thrown out . Fuel tech at a national event rarely if ever misses one .

Last edited by Mike Croley; 07-03-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #33
Ryan Horensky

Liked 109 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
There is nothing wrong with Sunoco Race fuel.
Purple can be a little inconsistent due to wide tolerance in processing. Blue and up are very consistent in production.

Some say other brand fuel is faster but that depends on number of things.

Have run Sunoco purple in my cars for years, blue last season becuase of ease of availability to me and cost. Have had issues with fuel check on and off for years. Had a big deal at Englishtown points meet 2011 have had enough of that.

As I said the fuel is good, the culprit is how the fuel is handled before getting in the hands of the racer. It's not a national problem.

The safe way is to install a fuel cell (PIA), buy fresh fuel at the track when racing NHRA. If the fuel being sold during the race is bad it's not the racers' problem.
I agree. There is nothing wrong with Sunoco Race Fuel. I would prefer to honestly use it over VP for a variety of reasons, but it still won't pass for me. We ran purple for many years and it simply stopped checking. If it did check I was told it was borderline. It didn't matter if it was from a sealed drum or out of the pump at the track. I also think an exception should be made if you buy it at the track and it doesn't pass. That is not the racer's fault.
Ryan Horensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #34
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Last edited by Andys dad; 07-03-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Andys dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #35
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Horensky View Post
I agree. There is nothing wrong with Sunoco Race Fuel. I would prefer to honestly use it over VP for a variety of reasons, but it still won't pass for me. We ran purple for many years and it simply stopped checking. If it did check I was told it was borderline. It didn't matter if it was from a sealed drum or out of the pump at the track. I also think an exception should be made if you buy it at the track and it doesn't pass. That is not the racer's fault.

Ryan
Know for a fact that you and I get our product from the same source and i know what the problem is. PM me.

VP is a pain with having to fog down the engine so it doesn't pit the valves and rust up the exhaust ports. PIA
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #36
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

When I raced my Friebrid Stocker...

First race I went to I brought my own feul Sunoco Purple right from the supplier that sold to the local tracks....it failed....I bought a fresg jug and fuel from the VP truck....C-11 it passed....Others told me it was the fastest fuel...

After that I bought fuel at the track the first day of the event...

Bought C-12 from the tracks fuel supplier at Cecil....Palmer Fuels...

there was something wrong with that fuel and I was not the only one who had issues. There seemed to be a concerted effort to let it slide, that was my opinion at that race....

After that race I cleaned out my fuel cell before any NHRA race I went to. I still have the little hand siphon I used to do it. I would wipe out the cell and let it air dry.....I bought a fresh jug and never put anything but good fresh fuel in it. I bought only C-11 and hated the stuff but it always passed....I ran anything I could get my hands on for non NHRA races and the car never went any slower or faster with any of the fuels....

I raced that same car last year and bought C-12 after having used Purple at my local track.......The C-12 passed 2 times at the Dutch......

I think the fuel check deal should be dropped except for heads up runs or at events where there is class runoffs. Way to many issues with fuel failing when it should be fine and other times it should fail but it doesn't......Almost any jug will leak if you turn it upside down......They all leak......Junk plastic.......I have spent time on the edges at the top trying to clean them up so the rubber o-ring will seal....You can make it better but probably not air tight.....

No one is trying to run stuff like Q-16 unless they are nuts........The fumes alone would kill your opponent.....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 07-03-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #37
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Lang View Post
Travis, since paying attention to where my fuel tests I've never seen it in the upper half of the spectrum. For the most part it will usually be slightly below the halfway point.

I am at a loss to why one half of the "window" is totally eliminated. With fuel going lower on the scale with exposure to air the lower part of the scale could be a bit wider. Maybe right on or perfect could be 3/4 of the way up the window instead of halfway?
Jody, I think this might be a div 7 thing. The year before last at Sonoma, the div 7 guy told me my fuel (C11) was "marginal" and he would let it go but don't come back with it next round. I took the jug down to fuel check and one of the div 6 guys was there and checked it, said it was ok. Just to be safe, I bought 5 gallons of fresh and used it the rest of the weekend.
Ran the rest of the season with what was left in the barrel, all div 6 races, and nobody complained.
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #38
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,543 Times in 1,727 Posts

Couple of years ago, I had some C12 in my fuel cell from the Fall Vegas race.

I brought the car home and left it on my open trailer, covered up, all Winter .
When I went to Firebird in March, I siphoned the old stuff out , wiped out the cell and put 5 gal. of fresh C12 in it.

After T.T. 's , I took the old stuff over to fuel check... Whatta ya know? ...It checked right in the middle..Exactly the same as the new stuff.

Needless to say, I added and burned up the old stuff all weekend.
FWIW, I never had a problem with C12 bought at NHRA races.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #39
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I never failed Fuel Check. I always bought my fuel at the track the day of the race. Whatever was sold at the track was what I used that weekend.
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #40
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: Fuel check question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Horensky View Post
Has anyone else had issues getting Sunoco purple or Blue to pass?
I've used Sunoco Purple since I started in IHRA Stock in 1999 with a short experiment with Blue. I never had a problem except for once when I ran out and couldn't get a drum in time. I bought "something" purple that a questionable local speed shop claimed to be Sunoco. But my fuel sits in the car in the off season also and goes through the hot and humid Florida weather with no issues.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote