Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #21
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Stocker Crankshaft Heavy Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Question:
How is it going to be "determined", proof beyond any doubt, that you have a 305 crank in a 350 when the casting numbers are identical?
I know an identifiable difference, but I'm asking the question for legal tech purposes.
Not being a tech man, I neither know or care about the procedure to determine if the crank is legal or not. The fact that someone would go the expense and effort needed to convert a 305 crank to a 350 application, when 350 cranks are a dime a dozen, leads one to believe that there is an advantage to doing so. A similar advantage could be had by using a lightweight aftermarket crank for the 350, a huge variety of which are also a dime a dozen. In either case, their use is ILLEGAL and that is THE POINT. The rules are there, they are clear enough and anyone who ignores them or thinks they are just "bending" them to gain an advantage is a CHEAT. PERIOD.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 694 Times in 270 Posts

Sorry Bill, but I think you are a little too anal about the rules. Yes, we can all read and like you can quote the rule book. Before bashing someone on being legal or illegal you need to know something about the components they are talking about. By your logic a rod that came in a 305 and was put in a 350 would be illegal when in fact they are the very same. The ONLY difference in a 350 and 305 crank is in the depth and location of the factory balancing holes. That is due to the slight (grams) weight difference in the 350 and 305 pistons. They both come out of the very same casting molds at the foundry. They are the same weight, casting number and dimensions. There is a BIG FAT "0" performance advantge. The only advantage is to the machinest that does the balancing with the approved NHRA component weights. Makes it easier Lighten up! No need insuating or calling a person a cheat!

Last edited by Adger Smith; 02-04-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #23
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

To add to Adjer's post sbc 267-305-350 all have the same cranks the counterweights stroke all are the same like Adjer said only difference is 305 has deeper holes in countrweight then 267 has more holes,you can swap them without doing anything if you don't like your teeth or think you can hold a steering wheel that gets a 3'' thick when you rev engine,it would be like riding a bull can you hang on long enough or will it fly apart first.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Reed Granrt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Sorry Bill, but I think you are a little too anal about the rules. Yes, we can all read and like you can quote the rule book. Before bashing someone on being legal or illegal you need to know something about the components they are talking about. By your logic a rod that came in a 305 and was put in a 350 would be illegal when in fact they are the very same. The ONLY difference in a 350 and 305 crank is in the depth and location of the factory balancing holes. That is due to the slight (grams) weight difference in the 350 and 305 pistons. They both come out of the very same casting molds at the foundry. They are the same weight, casting number and dimensions. There is a BIG FAT "0" performance advantge. The only advantage is to the machinest that does the balancing with the approved NHRA component weights. Makes it easier Lighten up! No need insuating or calling a person a cheat!

Adger
You are correct in saying that all these cranks are basically the same although came in different engines and by the rule book would be illegal to use in any application other than their own. A good example is using a 427 Chevy truck crank put into a 396 Chevy BB but I reread Charles Rainey's thread and I think what he is asking is, if you add heavy metal to a crank that is not changing from external to internal--is it legal to do so and let it be seen or do you need to hide it by welding over it. I have always welded over mine just to stay pot of problems with NHra, but is it ok just to add one slug of say 1/2" heavy metal and go own or should we hide it cosmetically. I think that his is a good question that we can answer.
reed
Reed Granrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #25
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Adger is correct.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #26
Bill Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Texas Rangers View Post
ATT. BILL HARRIS, You obviously know nothing about CRANKS in SBC MOTORS, ADGER speaks the TRUTH. THE TEXAS RANGERS
Go F yourself Mr no name Texas Ranger asswipe.

Adgers analogy of the rods is BS. If I go to the parts counter for a 350 rod, or a 305 rod, they will give me the same part. NOT true of the crank.

The statement "or should we hide it cosmetically" says it ALL. WHY would you have to HIDE it if if were LEGAL??????

Last edited by Bill Harris; 02-05-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #27
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 694 Times in 270 Posts

Just what I expected,
You didn't even answer my first question. All you spouted was your usual retoric.
When I had to answer it you come back with more of your retoric to meet your own agenda.
Bill, I've picked up and handled, (ground and balanced and resized) more 305 cranks and 350 cranks and 305 rods and 350 rods than you have ever seen. If 305 rods are different then why is it listed in the NHRA accepted products list on page 9 under Chevrolet that both 350 and 305 rods weigh 550 grams? Just an unfortunate coincidence, I guess.
Just keep on telling people to F them selves and calling them cheats.
Thats real big of you & helps push your agendas, too.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #28
Bill Harris

Adger, you didn't read my post carefully. I agreed that the rods are the same.
" If I go to the parts counter for a 350 rod, or a 305 rod, they will give me the same part." I said the cranks were different... and they are.

I have no agenda other than to participate in an organization where the rules are followed. I wouldn't think that is too much to ask, but obviously I am wrong about that.

I'm done with this thread. Have a nice day.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 726 Times in 177 Posts

Bill - Take your meds.

Since the specs for piston-rod weights is a bit on the shy side from what reality weights are for factory pieces, sometimes it is easier to start with a 305 crank for a 350 application since it was balanced at the factory for lighter pistons. Less work that way, you know.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote