HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bryan Phillips not at indy?

Just wondered if Bryan Phillips made it to Indy and how his Bird was runnin...
I couldnt make it out there...my band FLynnville Train performed at the WFMS Country Music Expo today... between Casey James(American Idol)and Heidi Newfield from Trick Pony... it was the first nice day weve had in awhile and i couldnt make it to Indy or Muncie. Good news is, Im takin the Bird to Muncie next Saturday to blow the cobwebs out of it...
Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Toby Lang
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Bryan Phillips not at indy?

No, Bryan is not at Indy. As far as I know, he doesn't go to the Indy points meet. He does go to the Indy Nationals once in a while though. Now that he lives a lot closer he'll probably go a lot more often.

As far as how the car is running, it looks like it's a solid eight tenths under the index in bracket mode. It's definitely one of the fastest cars in his class (not counting the DPs.)

This year he has been to the Gainesville and Charlotte nationals and the Gainesville and Cecil points races. Maybe Bryan will post and let you know how it's going. I know the new paint job looks good though.

Here's the qualifying from the Gainesville national:
http://dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=222482

Charlotte national:
http://dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=224726

Gainesville LODRS:
http://dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=221416

Cecil LODRS:
http://dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=222193

Have fun at Muncie!

-Toby
Toby Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the info...hopefully he will post on here...would like to pick his brain... this is me from Muncie, 2005

68bird smaller.bmp
Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just figured out you can copy and paste on here... this is the pic i was tryin to post... thanks

Old 05-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Bryan Phillips

Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts

Hi Brent-
just read the previous thread about your 68 Bird. Great looking car. Wish that we had the chance to chat at Indy last year. Toby is right, I live in the Atlanta area so Indy is far enough that going there is a "special" trip. Next event for me will be the Atlanta National and my son will be driving the car at his 1st big race the following weekeng at the Divisional.
As mentioned on the other thread there are a few Gen I Firebird racers out here that have been beating on these cars for a while. When my Dad and I built my car my we were fortunate enough that John Schloe (69 Bird in So. Cal) was super friendly and willing to share with us. He is a great guy and one of my closest friends 20 years later. A few other names of Gen I Stocker Bird hitters: Leo Glassbrenner (68), Bobby Aceves (68), Ron Prince (68), Adam Strang (68 Stick-way cool), Bo Butner/Randi Lynn Shipp (67). I believe the James Treola 68 was sold but I do not know where it went. As mentioned Truman has been running these cars longer than anyone that I am aware of. I am sure that he would be a wealth of information. There might be others that I missed. I will send you a PM with my contact info. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Toby-thanks for the shout out! Congrats to both you and Jody on your wins at Vegas. Very cool stuff! Keep up the great work on the race reports and photos/videos. I really enjoy the coverage.

Bryan
Bryan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Bob Wibright

Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Bryan...... Just to let you know, the Firebird that Jack Treola owned is now owned by Larry Slone in Shelby, Ohio. He is painting the car and getting ready to race after doing some updating.

Bob
Bob Wibright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wibright View Post
Bryan...... Just to let you know, the Firebird that Jack Treola owned is now owned by Larry Slone in Shelby, Ohio. He is painting the car and getting ready to race after doing some updating.

Bob
Was this the Bill Hoy car as well?

Thanks Bryan... its cool that there are still guys out there runnin these cars... You may remember the car Truman sold/traded to The McKinney's in the later '70s? I believe he has it back now. They are good friends of mine(Roy, the father passed away 2009), Mike(the son) still has their 2nd car...its tubbed, as Roy ran it in SS/IA trim for a number of years. Mike drove the E/S(Truman's) car and won the Indy Nats in 1977 when he was 16-17yrs old. He is still an awesome bracket racer, and HIS son Marty too. Got your PM and will give you a call sometime....THanks
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Bob Wibright

Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent flynn View Post
Was this the Bill Hoy car as well?

Thanks Bryan... its cool that there are still guys out there runnin these cars... You may remember the car Truman sold/traded to The McKinney's in the later '70s? I believe he has it back now. They are good friends of mine(Roy, the father passed away 2009), Mike(the son) still has their 2nd car...its tubbed, as Roy ran it in SS/IA trim for a number of years. Mike drove the E/S(Truman's) car and won the Indy Nats in 1977 when he was 16-17yrs old. He is still an awesome bracket racer, and HIS son Marty too. Got your PM and will give you a call sometime....THanks

This is the Bill Hoy car
Bob Wibright is offline   Reply With Quote