HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
TS310C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default No Nat Event at St Louis?

Did anyone else notice that there is no National Event shown for St Louis. I read in our local paper that they are not going to have the truck race or the Nationwide race next year either. Are they just simply going to close that track down? What a shame, that is a great facility! I just wish they would have kept having the Division race there, it is close for me. We race at tracks that aren't HALF as nice as this place and for some reason they just don't want to race there. I think it has a lot to do with the owners.

Anyone have any insight into this situation?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Carl Juliano

Liked 63 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: No Nat Event at St Louis?

Check this out, it dont sound good.

Dover Motorsports, Inc. (NYSE: DVD) announced today that its wholly owned subsidiary, Gateway International Raceway has notified NASCAR that it will not seek 2011 sanctions for its two Nationwide Series and one Camping World Truck Series races.

Vice President and General Manager of Gateway, Terry Harmeson stated, “This was a difficult decision in light of the many years of earnest and continued efforts on everyone’s part to develop a viable market for these events in one of our nation’s greatest cities. We remain committed to fulfill the balance of our 2010 schedule including our October 23rd NASCAR Nationwide race which will provide our fans the opportunity to see Danica Patrick compete here for the first time. We also plan to explore various ways to change the economics at Gateway both from the revenue and expense side.”

Denis McGlynn, President & CEO of Dover Motorsports, stated, “We have a group of extremely dedicated and talented employees who make Gateway a great destination and we deeply appreciate all the support we have had from the racing community over the years – from racing fans and drivers to sponsors, team owners and sanctioning bodies. However, economics dictate that we evaluate all of our options for this facility, including its possible sale.”
Carl Juliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
TS310C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Isn't this the same owner that closed Memphis? I think they are headed in the same direction with this track. Hopefully someone will purchase it that will actually make good use of this great facility!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Carl Juliano

Liked 63 Times in 23 Posts

Yes, Dover owns Memphis as well. That place is abandoned, sitting there all intact. I heard the selling price is 6 million. If it was a profitable venture, someone would have snatched it up for that price.These giant facilities have huge operating expenses, and although you may think the car counts are good in the weekly programs,it is still not enough income to make a sizeable profit. A smaller div/bracket type track has a better chance of surviving than these giant motorplexes. Im sure the economic situation in Madison Ill, and Memphis Tenn have alot to do with this as well. Hate to see this stuff happen.
Carl Juliano is offline   Reply With Quote