HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
big blue galaxie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Question on head gasket and oil additive

The motor oil is now named Amsoil Signature Series 0W30. The also have a 0W20.
big blue galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 435 Times in 146 Posts

Castrol also frowns on using any additives with their oil. As the rep stated " why undo something that our chemists have engineered into our oil ?"
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: Question on head gasket and oil additive

Quote:
Originally Posted by big blue galaxie View Post
The motor oil is now named Amsoil Signature Series 0W30. The also have a 0W20.

Those are not the same oils. The Dominator Series is new as of last year and are fortiufied more for the racing environment. The Signature Series 0W-30 may have gotten reformulated a year or two ago. I'm only speculating, but it may have to do with newer model emission regulations and compatibility, similar to a new diesel formulation for 2007 & newer diesel trucks. I believe the zinc content has something to do with it. The race oils, older diesel, including the HDD 5w-30, and some of the others, still have a large amount of zinc and similar additives. It's all good stuff nonetheless.

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 01-21-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,225 Times in 250 Posts

I would have to agree with Alan on the head gaskets. I have used Cometics on our 283 and 327s and reuse them 3 times, then I take them off and save them. I probably could use them again. They get pretty reasonable when you get to use them more than once. You tell them the bore size and thickness and they take care of it.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #15
big blue galaxie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Piatek View Post
Those are not the same oils. The Dominator Series is new as of last year and are fortiufied more for the racing environment. The Signature Series 0W-30 may have gotten reformulated a year or two ago. I'm only speculating, but it may have to do with newer model emission regulations and compatibility, similar to a new diesel formulation for 2007 & newer diesel trucks. I believe the zinc content has something to do with it. The race oils, older diesel, including the HDD 5w-30, and some of the others, still have a large amount of zinc and similar additives. It's all good stuff nonetheless.
The product I was referring to was either the Series 2000 (or might be 3000) and they are a different product line from the Dominator series; it looks like they renamed it but I have to check with tech to verify it. And you know that the chemistry will work either way.
big blue galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
okieracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova4301 View Post
I was hoping someone could tell me what the bore size is on a GM part# 3995633...it is for a 283/307 engine. If I had to guess it would maybe be 4.100. And, I was curious on what the equivalent Fel-Pro gasket might be (maybe a 7733SH1).

One other question too...what is a good oil additive to run on a low volume oil pump setup. I haven't quite completed my engine yet, but I want to get a good guess on what weight oil and potential oil additive to run.

thanks,
I have head gaskets you are looking for if you are interested. email theshop@texomaonline.com
okieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
Nova4301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I appreciate it, but once I found out that the 7733SH1 was the replacement...I got it and I believe it is what I will use at this point. I am hoping to have her running in about a week...so as my normal price and time estimates go it will probably be about 2 weeks and twice the costs that I had orignially planned for.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #18
Bub Whitaker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova4301 View Post
I appreciate it, but once I found out that the 7733SH1 was the replacement...I got it and I believe it is what I will use at this point. I am hoping to have her running in about a week...so as my normal price and time estimates go it will probably be about 2 weeks and twice the costs that I had orignially planned for.
((I am building a 307...just trying to go a couple tenths under...hopefully. This engine will not turn over 6000rpm to speak of, the piston rock is approximately.005 and on the high end it sits about .002 in the hole. ))
7733SH1 aprox .015, with your .002 makes .017...gonna hit. let me know what you see when it comes appart...

Last edited by Bub Whitaker; 01-23-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Bub Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #19
Nova4301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I have been scared away from making the clearance that tight...I just am trying to get as much out of everything as possible and taking thousandths away from the piston to head clearance will definitely increase compression which is definitely a gain of some sort. I decided to go with a .028 thick gasket which will yield about .030 clearance.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:08 AM   #20
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Mobil/ Mobil 1 makes the base oils for all synthetic oils. I used to sell race oils. When you read the specs for synthetic motor oil and compare them all, this is what you will find: everyone has a hard one for additives that makes their oil different. When you look very close, many are only slightly different competitors to Mobil 1. They really only offer slight advantages. Most are only noticeable in lab reports. SAVE YOUR MONEY. Brad penn 0-30,10-30 semi synthetic and Valvolone VR1 are the best for the $ spent. Amsoil does offer a oil analisys that will answer any questions about the oil you are using. They contract with a private company. You can deal with this company direct. OH BY THE WAY, ask 50 racers about oil and you'll get 53 answers.
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote