Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 1960 and newer in stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgould View Post
only the first year bud. We flat towed from virginia to amarillo for the 72 world finals. We were expecting to have to unhook at the gate. But, they waved us on thru. The requirement was deleted in 73. Btw, i seem to recall i got $300 tow money (div 2 champ). I wonder what that would be in todays dollars.
$400, lol.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
John Quinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGould View Post
Only the first year Bud. We flat towed from Virginia to Amarillo for the 72 World Finals. We were expecting to have to unhook at the gate. But, they waved us on thru. The requirement was deleted in 73. BTW, I seem to recall I got $300 tow money (Div 2 Champ). I wonder what that would be in todays dollars.
AT that years points meet they made all the cars unload outside the gate and leave the trailer by the road. If you did that now the trailers would all be gone at the end of the day.

I drove my race car to the track from Denver. Not just to keep in spirit with the rules but because I only owned one car. I got zero tow money as I was the Div 4 champ and it was my "home" division. If you look me up on NHRA's list of division champs, the last time I looked they had my old partner Ken Luebbe listed as the champ even though he abandoned our partnership half way through the season. If I thought NHRA cared about sportsmen at all I would have them correct it. But I have the trophy and the jacket so I don't really care what NHRA says.
John Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Smile Re: 1960 and newer in stock?

Does there need to be an age rule in Stock? With the current Nostalgia movement in some ways it would be nice to see a 55 chevy in stock again.Probably as expensive as a newer camaro but some would like to see them again...Only one or two currently active in SS maybe they have outlived Drag Racing as we know it.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
TGould

Liked 32 Times in 6 Posts

I flat towed 15,000 miles in 1972. Except for the trip to Amarillo, I was always by myself. So, I had to unhook outside the gate, drive the Corvair to the pits, walk back out to the gate, and get my tow car.
TGould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
John Quinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGould View Post
I flat towed 15,000 miles in 1972. Except for the trip to Amarillo, I was always by myself. So, I had to unhook outside the gate, drive the Corvair to the pits, walk back out to the gate, and get my tow car.
Fun wasn't it.
John Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #16
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: 1960 and newer in stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Butler View Post
Does there need to be an age rule in Stock?
Darn Dick,,,,,you scared me for a moment....I thought you were talking about the DRIVERS there for a moment....LOL
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #17
dlee

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

NHRA should eliminate the age rule, bring back the older cars, it would give the newer spectators a look at how the racing was back in the 60's & 70's.
dlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #18
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Chuck and Tony,

Thanks for the CORRECT information. I guess that forty years has destroyed more of my brain cells than I realized.

"Paul" Rossi was the guy with the wheelstanding 440 Challenger, wasn't he? Time has done bad things to my so-called mental proceses...

Before they got around to banning the Hydra-Matics, I had sold my interest in that car to my partner, Harry Sparks, who in turn sold the whole thing to some guy who wanted to restore it, I believe.

Harry still races a Division V Stocker, today (a Chevy 305 station wagon in something like N/SA, I think.)

I thought those '58 Chevy 3-speeds were 2.54:1 first gear trannies... See how my mind works (NOT!) LOL!

Bill

Last edited by bill dedman; 01-16-2009 at 10:39 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote