CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Woodfin's 4th gen Camaro no-box package (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=60348)

Dragsinger 11-25-2015 10:12 PM

Woodfin's 4th gen Camaro no-box package

5 Attachment(s)
I will begin with some background and the basic setup.

Some of you may have followed my Super 10 , super stocker buildup. That project completed and we ran three NHRA Lucas races this season. At the third race the engine broke an intake valve and suffered considerable damage.

Such things happen, I have licked my wounds and began the repair process. The Super 10 is race ready except for engine repair and that is under way. For the 2016 season we have four Lucas races scheduled in super stock.

Because the super stocker is a high RPM, high maintenance package it is not the best choice for local bracket racing.

Team Woodfin has a strong bracket racing background, and because we sold both our bracket race packages, it is time to build another bracket racer.

My favorite bracket package from a few seasons ago was a 1990 Firebird. That car was dead-on consistent, always went rounds and won several finals.

At first I planned to do another 3rd generation combination and was looking for a good core car. Then after more consideration I decided to move up to the 4th generation platform.

The basic plan outline is;

*Everything will be built in house with only a few exceptions
*408 SBC with carb on race gas for initial outings. I have experience with Methanol and like it as a bracket fuel so changing to it may happen later.
*Powerglide w/trans brake
*shop built back half
*32 x 14 tire
*lot's of weight removal, everything unnecessary removed yet retain a neat appearance.
*I expect it to weight about 2900 pounds with driver
*It will run 6.0's 1/8 mile

So as we begin stay tuned and let me hear your thoughts.

Here is the "core" car, 1995 Camaro for $700.00

Jon Sarrett 11-25-2015 10:48 PM

Re: Woodfin's 4th gen Camaro no-box package

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished a 95 myself but didn't get a chance to get it out before the season ended up here. This was the first car I built that I didn't have much fun doing. It was a real PITA. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Dragsinger 11-25-2015 10:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I like the appearance of this 95 Camaro and the "newer" bodies are easier to find in good condition. Plus, the pricing for a core car is very reasonable. In addition, the engine set back and 101" wheel base makes for excellent drag weight bias. Plus they have a good aero shape.

Yet, even with all those advantages I fretted and fretted over the poor access at the rear of the engine. Some for you may have experienced this same fretting with other situations.

I have good news! It is a big advantage to build a dedicated, trailered race car because the street equipment is no longer and issue. Some creative "carving" around the wiper linkage and cowl area will be a big help with engine access.

This photos shows the V/6 still in place and you can get an idea of what it will look like with the cowl trimmed back to the windshield. Then under the windshield trimmed back to the firewall.

Stand by for more.

Dragsinger 11-25-2015 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was just watching a piece on Nova about Einstein's theory of general relativity. During his lifetime he conceived mathematical formulas that describe the relationship between, time, space, light and gravity.

You are hearing it here first, I now present a formula that describes the relationship between tearing down a "core" car and rebuilding it to a finished package.

The formula is [HT x IH + M = C] {Hours Teardown x Infinite Hours + Money = Completion}

Today one of my mechanics, Flash, took a few mins to remove the dash. Although I warned him to be careful, I think he has cut the racing wire. Theory indicates that the racing wire is necessary to bend time.

Bill Diehl 11-25-2015 11:20 PM

You are correct, working with the late model sheetmetal is a breeze compared to the 45 year old "worn" cars..not to high jack your thread but this ones been cut back to the firewall.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...pszm1isiy7.jpg

Dragsinger 11-25-2015 11:30 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the photo. Cutting the cowl back will transform the working room to an acceptable situation.

Bill Diehl 11-25-2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragsinger (Post 488761)
Bill,

Thanks for the photo. Cutting the cowl back will transform the working room to an acceptable situation.

You are welcome, I used the stock windshield for a "template" to fab the half round section from firewall up to the windshield, and then elected to use the plastic windshield because the owner need the 5" to 6" more room as the glass overhangs.

I will be interested to see how you do it

cool project, have fun...lol, I will be following along

cicero819 11-26-2015 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Sarrett (Post 488755)
I just finished a 95 myself but didn't get a chance to get it out before the season ended up here. This was the first car I built that I didn't have much fun doing. It was a real PITA. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Nice job Jon.

Dragsinger 12-11-2015 05:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Progress report;

The first stage of tear down is completed. At this point I can visualize the completed package and for a while this build will be simmering on the back burner while other project take my time.

I now understand that the 4th gen is an excellent package and I look forward to it's construction and racing.

Dave Noll 12-14-2015 12:14 AM

Wow !! Your an animal for getting things done quick. :D