CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What header size (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=71030)

nhrasa 09-18-2018 11:51 PM

What header size

I'am turning my 63 Plymouth max wedge bracket car into a class car. I was wondering if TTI 1/78inch mild steel headers would be adequate or do I need to switch to a larger diameter stainless steel header from one of the current header builders. Thanks for the responses in advance.

rod butcher 09-19-2018 06:35 AM

Re: What header size

Call Performance Welding Headers 530-367-4124 Best header guy in the business, the Indy qualifying sheet doesn't lie.

nhramnl 09-19-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhrasa (Post 573170)
I'am turning my 63 Plymouth max wedge bracket car into a class car. I was wondering if TTI 1/78inch mild steel headers would be adequate or do I need to switch to a larger diameter stainless steel header from one of the current header builders. Thanks for the responses in advance.

Try this explanation instead: "I'm turning myself, currently a sane, solvent individual who has a great deal of fun bracket racing, into an insane, insolvent maniac, who will pour seemingly endless amounts of money into a car that will never be quite fast enough for me, and which I will only on very few occasions, actually enjoy". Now we can all relate to what you're asking, because you've identified yourself as one of us. :D

jmcarter 09-19-2018 07:53 AM

xxx double posted

jmcarter 09-19-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod butcher (Post 573172)
Call Performance Welding Headers 530-367-4124 Best header guy in the business, the Indy qualifying sheet doesn't lie.

X2. Mark Lelchook is a absolute master craftsman. Based on his experience he can tell you power curve on different styles and diameters. Guarantee his stuff will fit too.

quickford1 09-19-2018 09:41 AM

Give Robbie McDonald a call @ outlaw headers 704-230-6429 located in Mooresville ,NC Does only stainless makes everything in house flanges,tube bending and the best collector out there.

Race Clean 09-21-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhramnl (Post 573174)
Try this explanation instead: "I'm turning myself, currently a sane, solvent individual who has a great deal of fun bracket racing, into an insane, insolvent maniac, who will pour seemingly endless amounts of money into a car that will never be quite fast enough for me, and which I will only on very few occasions, actually enjoy". Now we can all relate to what you're asking, because you've identified yourself as one of us. :D

I think this may be an answer along the way that you want :
For what you are trying to do it's probably a good way to start with TTI or similar priced Headers and spend the $2500 that you save on other things to make the Car faster and better,..that said....I already have 2 sets from Mark and may buy another set in the future, because I REALLY LIKE this type of ART!!!:D

RonP 09-21-2018 07:39 AM

I would try KromerKaft in Youngstown, OH (330-539-5053). Engine size and expected peak HP rpm are required to determine tube size and length. When it comes to Stock/Super Stock/Comp, the header needs tailored to the specific engine. I used to do most all the computer simulation for Kromer to determine header sizing back in the late 1990's & early 2000's . Mild steel + GOOD ceramic coating (inside & outside) will save you money over stainless.
Thanks, Ron

pfordamx 09-21-2018 11:31 PM

i've heard several people have had good results with REF unlimited in arizona. if you buy a shelf header you might look into a program like pipemax to help determine primary size.

GTX JOHN 09-22-2018 02:39 AM

I have raced a bunch of these cars.

At least 2 inch tubes = Hooker has made Thousands and they
are cheap used. Even their 2 x 32 street header is fine.

2 1/8 inch are marginally faster on a quicker car.

Steps/Merged are certainly a bit better = Cost is three
Thousand VS three or four Hundred bucks

I have several sets of Hookers laying around the shop (Clarification: The Headers
NOT the girls).

4406mopar 10-01-2018 08:53 PM

TTI is priced double what they are worth. Throw your money at something better.

Plyguy63 10-14-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhrasa (Post 573170)

I am working on my 63 Max Wedge. Hasn't been down the track since 1992. Stored since. Back then used 2" Hookers. Went 11.14 back then. Was told by a guy who has run his 64 car forever that he has best results with Davis stepped headers, but $$$. Not sure what I will do for headers right now.

Alan Roehrich 10-15-2018 07:00 PM

Another option is Gregg Stump, who is at Stahl Headers by ACP, Kerry Hitt of ACP bought almost everything Jere had, and Gregg was Jere's master fabricator. Gregg is only building stepped headers. Yes, they're mild steel. But you can get them coated by M&R. You can start with his collectors, and buy/build merged collectors later. They're great people, affordable, reliable, and reasonable on price.