CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Racepak short record (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=66978)

drgrcr1156 07-24-2017 12:31 PM

Racepak short record

I have a Racepak sportsman that would not complete recording most of the run last year. On occasion I would get a complete record. Racepack could not explain the issue except possible EMI interference. I replaced plug wires and the Racepak SD card this year and I started getting complete recordings. Problem solved? This past weekend, out of 5 runs, two were not complete. Anyone experience this same issue?

Bob

jim hensley 07-24-2017 08:48 PM

Re: Racepak short record

are you shutting off the power to kill the engine at the end of the run?

drgrcr1156 07-25-2017 12:22 PM

No, The power is on until half way down return road.

Bob

voltdr 07-31-2017 06:00 PM

Are the incomplete runs missing the beginning or the end of the run?
Dan

drgrcr1156 08-01-2017 12:31 PM

The incomplete runs are missing the end of the run.

Bob

voltdr 08-03-2017 05:02 PM

Double check that the record time didn't get reset to a shorter amount of time. Also, when do you start your recording? during the burnout or just before the staging?
Dan

drgrcr1156 08-04-2017 12:26 PM

Have checked the record time and it has not changed. I Start recording just before staging. So far about 50% of my recordings have been short and not by the same amount. I compared the MB amounts.

Bob

voltdr 08-04-2017 05:10 PM

Does the logger voltage also stop at the same time as the RPM stuff? If so, that means that the logger is losing power at that point. Where are you getting the power for the logger? Main battery switch, separate switch????? Does the recording stop at the same time on each of the incomplete runs?
Dan

drgrcr1156 08-07-2017 12:28 PM

I get the logger power off of the ignition on switch. The recordings do not stop at the same place. I check the file details for the size of the file and they are different. I check this to rule out the time I start the recording as different.

Bob

voltdr 08-08-2017 09:05 AM

Are you saying that the ignition switch powers the logger or a switch that gets it's power from the ignition switch?
Dan

Bill Grubbs 08-08-2017 09:19 AM

When do you shut off your ignition switch? are you running an alternator? How is the unit set to stop recording? RP will truncate the file backwards several seconds if the power is lost to the "black box".

On our SS car with the Smartwire system. I have the RP wire latched on for 10 seconds past ignition and/or record cutoff. This way if the driver cuts power because of a problem the full event is recorded as opposed to losing the last 5-10 seconds of the run where the event happened.

Without using the Smartwire, the RP draws so little power if there is no O2 sensors. One could wire it directly to the Master Cutoff switch. Then the record button could be tied to the ignition switch. This way the RP always has power(so long as the MC switch is on), and will record only when the ignition is on and the record button is pushed. Best of both worlds!

Also the recording may shut off at the same event...not time. For instance, (example only) the RP may stop recording when oil pressure is less than 30 psi. In this instance the RP will record an entire run and all the way back to the pits during qualifying. However during eliminations if you dump your opponent really hard at the line, the oil pressure may drop to 25 psi and the RP will stop recording in this case. As you see in this example the RP stops recording at the same place (loss of oil pressure), but not at the same time or spot on the track.

Bill

drgrcr1156 08-09-2017 08:04 PM

The ignition switch supplies the 12V when it is on. The problem occurs about 50% of the time so far. It is better than last year since I replaced the SD card.
Bob

drgrcr1156 08-09-2017 08:06 PM

The ignition switch supplies the 12V when it is on. The problem occurs about 50% of the time so far. It is better than last year since I replaced the SD card. If it makes a difference, the O2 drops off first.

Bob

Bill Grubbs 08-10-2017 11:29 AM

Does the O2 always drop off at the same point prior to the end of recording?

Are you using a switch panel, or a stock key switch?

Are the O2 heater wires wired through the switch? The wires that power the heaters should be connected to a buss or "hot" stud. the heaters are turned on by the "black box when it receives power; not when the record button is pushed.

Are you using relays on any wires?

Any circuit breakers?

It really sounds like the "Black Box" and maybe more are loosing power from a bad connection/switch/relay/wire.

I did have a friend recently track the same problem down to a bad main cable. He swapped in a spare cable and all was right in the universe again. this is the only instance I know of or even heard of where this was the problem. RP just makes a great product.

Any problems I have had have been due self induced programing issues, or sensors themselves going bad.

Sensors will occasionally go bad (4 sensors in 15 years) but I consider them to be expendable for our applications.

If you wish to discuss this quicker give me a call @ 716.nine.nine.seven.916oh

Bill

voltdr 09-12-2017 06:04 PM

Did you ever resolve this issue? What is the battery voltage as it quits recording?
Dan

drgrcr1156 09-17-2017 10:53 AM

Still have not resolved the issue. It can not be duplicated in the garage. The logger registers 13.6 volts when it cuts our. The O2 cuts out 3 seconds earlier. Going through the wiring and grounding next.

Bob

voltdr 09-19-2017 09:45 AM

Have you tried not connecting the O2 sensors?

drgrcr1156 09-19-2017 12:33 PM

I will try that the next outing.

Bob

drgrcr1156 07-17-2018 12:31 PM

I believe the problem is corrected. During the winter I change the push button switch that came with the Racepak with a momentary toggle. I also moved it from the delay box mount at the shifter to the switch panel over my head. I have 11 runs so far, all full recordings.

Bob