CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Roller cam bearings (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=76252)

Mark Ugrich 05-15-2020 10:37 AM

Roller cam bearings

Are there any real advantages to using a roller vs. a Babbitt bearing? I’ve never had any personal experience using them.

FED 387 05-15-2020 01:49 PM

Re: Roller cam bearings

depends on the application--

nhramnl 05-15-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ugrich (Post 614722)
Are there any real advantages to using a roller vs. a Babbitt bearing? I’ve never had any personal experience using them.

Really interesting question. A person's intuitive reaction would be "of course, look at things like roller lifters and rockers", but I'll bet there aren't many engine builders who have actually done an A-B-A comparison of cam bearings.

SSDiv6 05-15-2020 04:46 PM

Babbitt is the only way to go.

Roller bearings, when turning the camshaft on the engine stand, the camshaft feels drag free and it turns easily. However, during engine operation and load, there is more drag while turning. When using high spring pressures, the loading may cause the needle bearings to fail.

Todd Gross 05-15-2020 06:27 PM

The biggest advantage of roller bearings are that they do not need pressurized oiling. So in most V8's you are blocking off 5 oil leaks inside an engine.

HP HUNTER 05-15-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Gross (Post 614754)
The biggest advantage of roller bearings are that they do not need pressurized oiling. So in most V8's you are blocking off 5 oil leaks inside an engine.

YES

Mark Ugrich 05-15-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

So the advantage would relate to less oil coming from the cam journals, reducing windage in the crankcase?

BILL TAYLOR 05-15-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ugrich (Post 614722)

My engine guy told me that Jesel experimented with roller cam bearings and the negative harmonics were real bad. That was quite a few years ago, maybe someone found a way to correct?

SSDiv6 05-16-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

The roller bearings still need some pressurized oiling; they do not oil by themselves and although there are claims oil splash is enough, I have seen enough damaged roller bearings due to lack of oiling especially on endurance engines.
If you have the right cam journal an lifter bore clearance, you will not have to worry.
Yes, they are known to create harmonics issues and it shows in Spintron testing.

Jim Bailey 05-16-2020 05:56 PM

Not Legal in Stock ,,, correct ?