HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 06-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
cmallory96

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Just another 4th gen F-body

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
I do not think they check VIN for sure but many of these cars are so close from year to year in looks that you. Ant tell one from another. Better check with somebody that can "guarantee " that you can do this but I'm sure many are or have been claiming it as year other than what it really is--- of course it has to look like the year you are claiming can't just say it's a 97 when it looks like a 1979 Okay
Definitely, I belong to a few Stock/Super Stock pages on Facebook, I will ask around on there too. Would be really awesome to be able to get a 98 or newer LS1, but at the same time I don't want to get DQ'd because of tech inspection.
cmallory96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts

They do not check VIN numbers on anything. If they did, half of the cars out there would be disqualified for not being what they claimed to be. If the car looks right and has the correct external pieces (headlights, taillights, trim, etc., sometimes interior pieces) you are good to go.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
cmallory96

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
They do not check VIN numbers on anything. If they did, half of the cars out there would be disqualified for not being what they claimed to be. If the car looks right and has the correct external pieces (headlights, taillights, trim, etc., sometimes interior pieces) you are good to go.
Oh man, that is a HUGE sigh of relief! I was afraid I was just going to be confined to just 1997 year power plants.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

I you can make it look like a 1998 you will be able to run a lt1 as a 1998 or you can claim 1999-2002 and run LS1 power. Everyone knows GM did not make a LT1 in 1998 but NHRA says they did and that is all that counts. I don't know how much expense it will be but it will give you flexibility.

The Cuda/Barracuda has some flexibility from slant six to 426 Hemi. I run it as a six pack.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #15
cmallory96

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
I you can make it look like a 1998 you will be able to run a lt1 as a 1998 or you can claim 1999-2002 and run LS1 power. Everyone knows GM did not make a LT1 in 1998 but NHRA says they did and that is all that counts. I don't know how much expense it will be but it will give you flexibility.

The Cuda/Barracuda has some flexibility from slant six to 426 Hemi. I run it as a six pack.
That shouldn't be too big of an issue, whoever had this car before me transplanted literally everything over from an 00' SS. The front clip, front crossmember, fuel tank, and rear end. I'll probably have to change hoods though since I have a fiberglass VFN sunoco. I was reading that you have to have the stock hood.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #16
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

If you decide to go the stocker route get an NHRA rule book.There's limitations what can legally be done to the car ie;engine/drivetrain mods,suspension,weight etc.It's better/cheaper to do it right the first time.Good luck on the build,whichever way you choose to go. gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 PM   #17
cmallory96

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsa612 View Post
If you decide to go the stocker route get an NHRA rule book.There's limitations what can legally be done to the car ie;engine/drivetrain mods,suspension,weight etc.It's better/cheaper to do it right the first time.Good luck on the build,whichever way you choose to go. gsa612
For sure, I definitely have one that I picked up from the national event earlier this month. However, theres a few things I don't understand within the rules.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #18
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmallory96 View Post
For sure, I definitely have one that I picked up from the national event earlier this month. However, theres a few things I don't understand within the rules.
Lots of help here on this site for us newbs.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #19
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

How much money do you want to spend? Cheaper to buy a complete car then building it. I've built one Gen3 and one gen 4 Camaro and after the build, both cars still weren't competitive.Doing all the work ourselves and building motor,trans,rear end,roll cage, way over $35k 3/10 th under. Go super Street, much cheaper and this way, you can keep the cage you have and rear end. You'll have more fun and you can use it for bracket racing at your local track.Jok Nicholson did a build up in online Bracket racing article.Good luck.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote