HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts
Default Ya know,

I just put a post on the Factory X thread regarding the cost to build a F/X program and the people who might do that.
Now, there are always all sorts of posts on this site about how the NHRA is "out of touch" and how they "don't care" about the "Sportsman Racers" (the backbone of the sport?) and the "Little Guys".
Well, right here I have a very graphic example of just that.
I was speaking to a well-known, long time Racer just the other day about the juggling of the FWD weight breaks in Stock and he wanted to let me know that he sent NHRA a letter requesting the addition of a Class (22lbs.) between DF/S (19lbs) and EF/S (25lbs). What we got is a change in the CF/S weight break (from 17.5lbs. to 19lbs.) and the DF/S weight break (from 19lbs. to 22lbs.) and an explanation that "NHRA didn't want to add any more classes".
NHRA can't add ONE class to Stock Eliminator to help out the "Little Guys" but they're willing to add an entire eliminator for the "Big $$$$ Guys" to play in!
Thanks a lot NHRA, we know where you're priorities are!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #2
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: Ya know,

Well stated Billy. I think the powers that be at NHRA need to get their heads out of their collective butts and see the real picture. Without the "little guy", where would they be?? A traveling circus and nothing more.

We all know it is all about the big show right now. Most fans leave the stands after the show and look for food, beer or photo opportunities in the pits.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Good post BN,

Also, NHRA seems to have a knack for taking the predictable and making it even worse by turning some categories into being virtually unwatchable.
Examples>
Stock Eliminator ..Combo classes where guys won't want to build a "one off" combo for a middle class because he will have to go a second under, right away, to have a chance of winning class.
Weight juggling so that a 67-69 Camaro fits in every possible class ,from AA to V /Stock.
Gone are the Chevelles and BBC Biscaynes , station wagons, etc.

Previously mentioned..They won't add a low, "slow" FWD class or even RWD X/Stock
for the variety if nothing else.. As a part time promoter, I notice that folks in the stands like big head start races, but there aren't many these days, the way everything is structured

Comp> Supposed to be flat out, handicap start, but way too complicated and confusing.
It takes more luck than horsepower these days.

.90's > NHRA knew the throttle stop deal was boring, and instead of of showing leader
ship and taking them away, they let the player vote on what they wanted...The easier, researched out method..They did not do that with Pro Stock.

Pro Stock > Everyone knows the deal here ..Rental BBC's in everything, funny , odd looking body shapes, cowl hoods, EFI that nobody sees but makes the qualifying sheet even narrower than before. So, exactly what has all this done to build Pro Stock?

Feel free to add more examples....
Old 12-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

How about combining sticks and autos to make room?
Liked
Old 12-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
Ernie Neal

Liked 301 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
who will this benefit, besides NHRA?

Ernie Neal
SS 354
Ernie Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #6
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
To make room for WHAT? FS/AAA? FS/AAAAA?
If they want to combine the sticks and autos then they should go for it! The F/S and FS/ classes are combined already. The factors are different * /S vs.* /SA anyway.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 12-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #7
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Neal View Post

Ernie Neal
SS 354
Ernie, I'm missing your point here. There SHOULD be more heads-up runs. Do you have a problem with that? How would it benefit NHRA? They have to give out a few less class Wallys? If you need Wallys that bad, give me your address and I'll send you a couple. I haven't learned how to eat them yet and NHRA won't just give me the $20 that they're worth.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 12-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Neal View Post
The fans?
Liked
Old 12-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #9
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,071 Times in 765 Posts

Fans? The majority of fans of sportsman racing are on this forum.
I love Comp but it's become so complicated I'm not sure many of us truly understand the dynamics of it.
The .90 classes are important to only those who compete within them.
Super Stock has become a "Crate Motor" eliminator with all the different GT combinations and very few true SS combinations.
Which brings me to Stock Eliminator, the original "Run What you Brung" (as long as it was in the book). If it's a mass produced car find a viable class for it to compete. If not it belongs in Super Stock with all of the other esoteric combinations.
You know who has fans? Southeast Gassers Association. Why? Because it's nostalgic and exciting.
The N.H.R.A Marketing Department has no clue what drag racing really is other than Top Fuel and Funny Car and never will. If you view old videos and photos from the '60 and '70 the stands are SRO. Why? Because it was about cars that they drove. Maybe just maybe if A/FX is done right ( Please Lonnie) drag racing has a chance to sustain the sport we all love.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #10
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Maybe just maybe if A/FX is done right ( Please Lonnie) drag racing has a chance to sustain the sport we all love.
Frank, the Sportsmen have been "sustaining" the sport since the 70s! Bracket racing has been "sustaining" local tracks since the 70s! Local bracket programs have been on the decline for at least the last decade! Big $$$ bracket racing has been declining recently because the price of poker has gotten too high for the average Racer! The pros have gotten down to maybe a dozen teams and maybe a dozen privateers keeping the whole dog-and-pony show alive! the only thing keeping up with participation as far as numbers is the NHRA Sportsman Racers!
Do you really think that "Comp" cars with "Stock" motors is the answer to sustaining the sport (which isn't a sport anymore, it's a hobby)?
When is the delivery date of your chassis scheduled for? Who's doing your motors?

Frank, just an FYI, I'm not picking on you I'm just trying to make a point. Where are all of the A/FX racers going to come from?

Make tech "TECH" again!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 12-05-2021 at 06:43 PM.