HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts
Default No Tech Inspection

I may be a little late to the party on this one, but it has been on mind since it happened.

As such; something which lit up the internet; was the incident which took place at the OG Million Dollar Race in Georgia, whereby one competitor swerved over into his opponent’s lane after the finish line. Whatever the reasoning was behind it, it obviously drew the attention of the NHRA even though it wasn’t an NHRA national or divisional event yet simply was held at an NHRA-sanctioned track.

I would assume after careful consideration, the NHRA chose to pull said person’s racing license until January 1 of 2023. This person has run some NHRA events so we’ll assume he has an NHRA license, however, it begs to ask so many questions, the least of which is, “What would/could they have done has he not had a license?

We all assume (that’s sort of a bad word to use) that everyone who runs those high dollar bracket races has a license but… A fairly recent podcast of the popular Sportsman Drag Racing Podcast with hosts Luke Bogacki and Jared Pennington brought up this topic. Jared attends a lot of these type events and Luke posed the question, “What’s the percentage of racers at those events who have an NHRA license?” Surprisingly to both myself and Luke, the answer came back as only about five-percent.

As for me, I would have thought the number to be closer to 50-percent. But it also begs to ask another question, “How many of those cars could pass an NHRA inspection?”

It was quite a while ago at a high dollar race in Memphis where I clearly remember the promoter making the announcement on Day 1, “Tech inspection will begin at 9:00. Bring your tech card to the head of staging. I repeat, bring your tech card; not your car; to the head of staging.” No actual tech inspection.

Some may be alarmed at this, but it was several years ago when the NHRA did away with actual car inspection at national events. No tech inspection. And then that process was expanded last year to include no actual car inspection at divisional events as well, seemingly blamed on the pandemic (isn’t everything blamed on that today?). There are probably a number of other reasons for that and they do hold spot checks from time to time, so other than spot checks, what makes that any different than what happens at some of these high dollar bracket races? Although I’ve yet to see any “spot checks” at bracket events.

Now truthfully, I can almost understand no tech inspection at national events. It’s there where in order to attend a national, you must have attended a certain number of divisional events; events where there is; or was; an actual car inspection. So in most cases, a person attending a national event has had his or her car inspected numerous times. However, any one can attend a divisional event, fill out the online tech card and never have the car inspected by an NHRA official, albeit spot checks are supposed to occur.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion and with no disrespect to anyone, if you don’t want to wear the correct safety equipment, that’s on you. I see that all the time at some of the events I attend. It’s sort of like not wearing your seat belt in your street car. However, if your car itself is unsafe because it lacks one or more pieces of certified equipment or it’s generally not safe, then potentially you could be endangering your fellow competitors. I’m sure this may not find favor with some, but as I mentioned, it’s just my opinion.

I really don’t want to see anyone harmed and it does alarm me when I see loose seat belts, no neck collars, cut fingers off safety gloves and the like. I’ve advocated spot checks at the bigger events, not so much in any way as to disqualify a competitor, but rather to simply educate a person.

Once again, this is my opinion, what’s yours?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JD2_0146.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	61386  
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #2
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,190 Times in 589 Posts
Default Re: No Tech Inspection

Isn't SAFETY of the driver and all around him/her the most important thing??

The original NHRA decal said "Dedicated to Safety", what happened???

That being said, some of the rules don't make sense. How does a helmet wear out and why do belts need replacing in, I believe, 2 years??
Old 12-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post

That being said, some of the rules don't make sense. How does a helmet wear out and why do belts need replacing in, I believe, 2 years??
You're questioning the NHRA's commitment to safety while complaining that some of the safety-based rules are too rigorous?
Liked
Old 12-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,190 Times in 589 Posts

I guess I didn't say it right. I am wondering what the criteria is for replacement/update of equipment. Do helmets wear out or seat belts become frayed or what. Just looking for answers.

Thanks for your reply, just looking for info on the situation.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #5
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
If $300 for a helmet every 10 years, and $100 or so for belts every two years is breaking the bank, this isn't the hobby for you.

I was fortunate enough to walk away from a pretty nasty accident in 2010 without as much as a scratch or a headache. I am very thankful for SFI specifications.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
I guess I didn't say it right. I am wondering what the criteria is for replacement/update of equipment. Do helmets wear out or seat belts become frayed or what. Just looking for answers.

Thanks for your reply, just looking for info on the situation.
I question many of the same rules. I retire my belts looking almost new, but they need to write the rule to cover the car that sits on an open trailer in the southern sun all year. I asked my chassis cert guy about this and he gave me the number on how much the stitching can degrade over that time; it was a bunch.

The one that gets me are the trans shields; just inert metal pieces. I have two transmissions in the garage that need to be torn down and sent across the country just so someone can glance at the case and steel liner before sending it all back with a couple stickers.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #7
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:

Helmets don't wear out but helmet tech continues to advance. 10 years isn't unreasonable to me and I'm due for a new one. Nylon webbing does degrade with exposure to the environment and UV radiation. It's essentially a parachute harness used a couple of hundred times per year. What bugs me is the manufacture date instead of sale date. It's been sealed in a box for 4 months at Simpson and I get 20 months of use even it I buy a week before the bell. In a short season area like the NorthWest you could need a new belt every year is your timing is bad. There are two tech associations SFI and FIA, which is international. FIA has higher standards and 5 year belts. NHRA does not recognize FIA certification

EDIT: Ditto on trans shields. I have a $700 Lakewood SFI bellhousing on my C4. It's a frigging hunk of bullet proof

STEEL and I have to replace it? it dosen't even have a paint chip.

Last edited by FireSale; 12-01-2021 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Punched the wrong button.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #8
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

Or you buy a trans shield that will not bolt up and can’t make a band adjustment in the car without a modification. After the modification the shield won’t get recertification.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #9
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts

I just sent my trans case to Reid and my belts for re-web to Stroud.
The belts I can see however, the trans case is a waste of time and money for all involved.
It is NHRA's sand box we play in so we have to live by the rules they apply.
Some are nonsense and others need to be strengthened and tech is one of those.
I cringe sometimes when some competitors pull up alongside when I know they are not following all the safety rules and I am sure I am not alone in this.
I did purchase a new helmet this year. It was a Simpson and was the exact same make and model. The 2020 model fit totally different and when I brought it to the attention of the Simpson rep when I tried it on I was told it was a new safer design with a little different shape. I hope that was accurate as it did fit totally different. By the way I paid much more that $300 for a new helmet, in fact about 2 1/2 times that.
My only issue was it was marked Made In China! Not my preference.
Just My 2 Cents which is really 1 Cent after inflation.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX

Last edited by 63corvette; 12-01-2021 at 05:18 PM.
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #10
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

I kind of understand the belts, helmet, transmission cases and chassis inspections for same reasons already listed. The trans and flex plate shield is the one that gets me. It’s a chunk of metal. Unless something explodes. How could it possibly “wear out”? Never understood that. I will say I feel safer at NHRA/IHRA tracks. Ever been to an outlaw track? You see some stuff that’ll really make you question safety.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote