HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts
Default Travelin' Man

I’m thinking many of you may not know who Ricky Nelson was and if you do, then congratulations for making it this far in life. Ricky was part of the television show The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, airing from 1952 to 1966 with the family of Ozzie, Harriet and their two sons David and Ricky. It was Ricky who sung the song Travelin’ Man detailing the loves of a world traveler with an eye for beautiful women.

Maybe the same can be said for us as racers, traveling the country with an eye for beautiful cars and of course, race wins. For the better part of my adult life, I’ve done just that, although I found my “beautiful woman” (my wife – she’ll like that) over 40 years ago, with us both traveling the countryside in search of those race wins. It’s become part of our lives; a part I believe we share with so many more of us. Traveling is what we do.

When neighbors or non-race track friends speak of a long trip, oftentimes it’s a three- or four-hour excursion to some spot. Three or four hours? We hadn’t even gotten the engines in our tow vehicles warmed up yet. How many of us think nothing of making a long; by those neighbors or non-race track friends; eight-nine-ten- or even longer hour trip on a Wednesday-Thursday-whatever day and then rush back home on Sunday night to be back for Monday morning work? It becomes part of our DNA.

For those fortunate to have someone drive their rigs to a race and then just fly in, that was never me. In fact, while I do occasionally fly to a race; one in which I’m just covering and not racing, I do have an eight-hour rule. If it would take me only eight hours to drive to the event, I’ll drive rather than fly. This because in this day and age by the time you get to the airport early, check in and then make the flight even if it’s only a one hour or so of flying time, you’ve ate up the majority of eight hours. Then you have to worry about flights being cancelled or delayed… No thank you. Give me my truck.

I really can’t even imagine how many miles I’ve logged behind the wheel and I’m somewhat envious when I see the very few over-the-road truck drivers who belong to the million-mile club. I simply just enjoy driving.

It’s only been the past decade or so where I began to log how many days I spend not sleeping in my own bed. However, that’s a bit of a misnomer, as oftentimes I’m sleeping in my motorhome, which technically is my own bed, but you get the idea. Most years, I’m away from home about 150 days a year, which is still less than some of my colleagues, but it is a big number. There have been times when I’m away for three or four weeks and after about the second week, I just want to go home. Then after being home for a week or so, I’m ready to get the heck out of here; not that I don’t like being home, but rather it just goes back to that DNA thing; traveling is in our blood.

Due to last year’s pandemic, traveling was rather limited and then came 2021 for me. This “little health scare” I’ve been dealing with since April has severely limited my traveling schedule. As a side note or update, I’m about in the middle of treatments which are going well with a good outlook. Naturally there are good and bad days with the bad days really not all that bad, more annoying than anything else because it’s drained some of my energy level. But it’s also limited traveling because I have to be home to receive treatments. That part sucks. I don’t think I’ve been away from home more than 50 days so far this year, which even though I get regular blood work done, I don’t see a line item where it shows my traveling man DNA.

I like my home. I like working in my shop. But boy do I miss hopping in the motorhome and traveling the country. Anybody else relate to this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	61332  
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,680 Times in 852 Posts
Default Re: Travelin' Man

Amen John. Apparently the racing DNA and adventurer DNA share very similar coding and like you the pandemic and in my case family health issues have severely limited my travels. We live in such an amazing land rich with history and beautiful landscapes. I am so thankful for the opportunity to explore new places and yes, even tracks because there I can compete with like minded adventurers. Even when traveling by motorcycle or RV (my 13 year old grandson has much of the US state map colored in plus several provinces and a chest full of Jr Ranger Badges) I always feel the next horizon is a promise as much as a destination. My wife no longer travels with me to race but as a former track champion herself she is never surprised or disappointed when I start loading the trailer. Thankfully, she’s glad when I return rather in a gloomy mood or victorious one (and even a great package in an early losing round is the latter) so hoping to continue that cycle as long as I can muster the strength. Like you I’m concerned that tracks on my bucket list (Chicago in my case) will disappear before I stop and now it seems I need to hop on my least favorite interstate (I-95) or NED may slip away. But I have miles to go before I sleep, 1/4 mile at a time.

Wishing a great Thanksgiving to everyone.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:57 PM   #3
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts
Default Re: Travelin' Man

Good post John...Travelin' Man lifestyle is great.. always on a vacation.
Around our part of the country we will always remember Ricky Nelson. His plane crash landed and burned about 35 miles west of me in a pasture between DeKalb and New Boston Tx. RIP Ricky and all you Travelin' racers keep on moving on..