HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #11
BadBanana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Indy 62 Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7423 View Post
Thanks for sharing Steve. I remember you showing my these pictures 25 or so years ago at Palmdale..............the El Camino and Penny Pincher days. Neat memories for you I am sure!!
Yes, "Christmas tree" starts were initiated in 1964 in most areas, as I recall.
BadBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #12
BadBanana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At the '62 Nationals the 409s, 413s and 406 (Fords - was it 406s or 390s with 401 hp, at that time?) and Big Pontiacs (389 tri-power???) ran in Super Super /Stock (SS/S). While the 413 (Ramchargers, Golden Commandos, Flying Dutchman, etc. ) might have been faster, the 409s took SS/S and Top Stock Eliminator as well as B/FX (in a '62 BelAir) version of the '63 Z-11) Hayden Proffitt, Dave Strickler, Dyno Don and Butch Leal were the fast 409s. I was also there with mine but was a young kid and way out to lunch at that time. If my memory serves me, I believe Hayden won SS/S with a 12.82; Dave Strickler won Top Stock and Dyno Don won B/FX - but don't hold me to it.
The Super Stockers; Gas Coupe and Sedans; and Top Fuelers were about equal in fan appeal at that time. There were no Funny Cars yet. The normally aspirated Gassers all ran Isky 505 Magnum cams ( I believe that was for .505 valve lift). Then Isky introduced the 555Magnum.
The Top Fuelers were, of course all front engined and the slicks were only about 11" wide and burned (smoked) almost the entire 1/4 mile. At that time, the "Engineers" predicted the Fuelers would never exceed 175 MPH because of the maximum possible tire to ashphalt coefficient of friction - but then " what do engineers know?" Flag starts, of course......... there was a way to trick most flagmen into lifting the flag but not the good ones !!!
The real reason the 409s beat the 413s (even though I am a Chevy man) was because they decided to run SS/S round-robin. Once the Class runoffs started they kept coming back to the line until it was over and noone was allowed to open their hood. The 413s were affected more than the 409s. "And THAT'S the rest of the story" !!!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #13
BadBanana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh yeah !! Everyone ran M&H slicks, out of Watertown, Mass. I think the owners name was Marv Rifken, or something like that. There were no Firestones or Goodyears yet - maybe some Hoosiers - can't remember, and, oh yes, some Casler slicks (I think out of CA).. If you couldn't afford M&Hs or Caslers you bought Butyl rubber street tires because they had a relatively soft compound for a street tire.

Someone complained because the Gassers were suppossed to be street drivable, so George Montgomery, noted Ohio A/Gas Supercharged, drove it to the track each day - or at least once !!
Ohio was the "Home of the Gassers", with National Records in most of the classes:
Otie Smith (forgot the class - something Roadster)
A/GS - George Montgomery
B/G - Ed Shartman
C/G - Ron Hassel
D/G Hrudka Bros. (founders of Mr. Gasket)
E/G - Wilber Tackett
F/G - The Flintestone Flyer - forgot his name right now but he became a big "Muckity Muck" at Chrysler Racing. Dave something. I will remember it !!
There were, also some great Left Coast gassers like Stone, Woods and Cook (A/GS) and more. I think KS Pitman ) A or B/GS) was an East Coast guy - not sure

Can't remember what I did yesterday, but these things were forever imprinted in my mind.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Indy 62 Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBanana View Post
At the '62 Nationals the 409s, 413s and 406 (Fords - was it 406s or 390s with 401 hp, at that time?) and Big Pontiacs (389 tri-power???) ran in Super Super /Stock (SS/S). While the 413 (Ramchargers, Golden Commandos, Flying Dutchman, etc. ) might have been faster, the 409s took SS/S and Top Stock Eliminator as well as B/FX (in a '62 BelAir) version of the '63 Z-11) Hayden Proffitt, Dave Strickler, Dyno Don and Butch Leal were the fast 409s. I was also there with mine but was a young kid and way out to lunch at that time. If my memory serves me, I believe Hayden won SS/S with a 12.82; Dave Strickler won Top Stock and Dyno Don won B/FX - but don't hold me to it.
The Super Stockers; Gas Coupe and Sedans; and Top Fuelers were about equal in fan appeal at that time. There were no Funny Cars yet. The normally aspirated Gassers all ran Isky 505 Magnum cams ( I believe that was for .505 valve lift). Then Isky introduced the 555Magnum.
The Top Fuelers were, of course all front engined and the slicks were only about 11" wide and burned (smoked) almost the entire 1/4 mile. At that time, the "Engineers" predicted the Fuelers would never exceed 175 MPH because of the maximum possible tire to ashphalt coefficient of friction - but then " what do engineers know?" Flag starts, of course......... there was a way to trick most flagmen into lifting the flag but not the good ones !!!
The real reason the 409s beat the 413s (even though I am a Chevy man) was because they decided to run SS/S round-robin. Once the Class runoffs started they kept coming back to the line until it was over and noone was allowed to open their hood. The 413s were affected more than the 409s. "And THAT'S the rest of the story" !!!
The Fords were 406's, the Pontiacs were dual quad 421 SD's at 405 HP, Strickler won SS/S class and Hayden won the overall eliminator on Monday with a 12.83 ET running against Jim Thortons 413 Dodge. Hayden paid Strickler back during the mondays run offs and flipped him "The Bird" in the traps. Pay backs for beating Hayden for class.....LOL. Hayden told me himself about the bird flpping incident.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
BadBanana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I guess I got those two backwards - but I knew they both won one of those categories and I even got the e.t. within .01. I was going off my memory from almost 50 years ago.
Dave Strickler was not very mechanical, but a great driver - in the mold of Ray Allen; or visa versa, as Dave was there first. Dave used to like to lay on the beach and tan while Jenkins was the mastermind. My favorite of all those guys was Dyno Don Nicholson, even after he switched over to the Comets. I almost bought his Comet Wagon from him; but I was in the service at the time and wouldn't have had the time - he eventually let "Fast" Ed Schartman drive it.

Those were the very BEST days in Super Stock - and the fans loved it !!!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Indy 62 Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBanana View Post
OK, I guess I got those two backwards - but I knew they both won one of those categories and I even got the e.t. within .01. I was going off my memory from almost 50 years ago.
Dave Strickler was not very mechanical, but a great driver - in the mold of Ray Allen; or visa versa, as Dave was there first. Dave used to like to lay on the beach and tan while Jenkins was the mastermind. My favorite of all those guys was Dyno Don Nicholson, even after he switched over to the Comets. I almost bought his Comet Wagon from him; but I was in the service at the time and wouldn't have had the time - he eventually let "Fast" Ed Schartman drive it.

Those were the very BEST days in Super Stock - and the fans loved it !!!
I agree....It WAS the best of times to be racing (super Stock) SS/S. It was the last year ever for all of the factories to be racing HEADS UP with a car you could buy right off the show room floor. 1963 was a Dodge, Plymouth, and Ford only show. The Dodge and Plymouths were approx 200 to 300 pounds liter than the fiberglass front end Fords yet still ran in the same wt. break for S/S so guess who won. The Z-11 Chevy's were pushed into A/FX and the Pontiacs ran B/FX.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
December 1962,
Has a good overview of the event,,,,,
Back then it was called,,,,,,
the 'NHRA Drag Nationals',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which does sound better,,,,
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #18
BadBanana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was one of about 36 who received Z-11s from the factory in late '62. I think they made about 50 or 60. I raced it at Niagara Dragway and Lancaster with a few match races in Canada and Central NY. Ran out of Glen campbell Chevrolet. Sold it in late '63 to someone form Quaker City Dragway. I believe his name was Roger Cunningham or something like that. Lost track of the car after that. Would love to have it back now, but couldn't afford it if I found it. I believe there is a picture of it in my profile pictures. If not, I will add it. White with red interior; and dented hand print on the front of the aluminum hood !!!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Does anyone here remember this car, it was Arlen Vanke's Tempest.

Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Yep.....Not a factory built car. He built it himself. Has a solid pontiac rear under it and set the record. There was some "stink" about it having a real rear end instead of those rubber bands in the factory cars.