HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts
Default Copo Camaros

How many of these cars were built? they are all aluminum motors right? Is there any of them running S/SS? I just saw one go for 137k on B-J

Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
RecordHolder
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts
Default Re: Copo Camaros

That was an iron block car. They built several hundred, There were 69 aluminum block cars.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Way too many Camaro experts out there??
But I'll try this one..
COPO #9560 was the All-Aluminum ZL-1 engine
COPO #9561 was the L-72 427/425HP
Cost for the COPO #9560 $7200 (Car $3100 + Engine $4100)
How many??? Numbers kind of gyrate all over the place. Possibly 69 ZL-1's.
How about the 69' Chevelle COPO L-72 427/425HP..(31 were built)
That one was easier.
PC
Does that sound right???
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stephen/Horace,

I don't claim to be a first generation Camaro expert, but I have heard and read that there might have been 900 or more 427/425hp COPO 1969camaros made. The Yenko SC COPOs were probably the most famous, and there were either 198 or 201 of the Yenkos made. There is some debate about that number officially.

Then there were other dealers getting in on the COPO 427/425 thing too...I think Baldwin Motion and Berger were a couple of them.

The 427/425 HP in a Camaro was -I think- option RPO L72 and was definately an iron block. The 427/425HP was also available in '69 chevelles.

The only aluminum block 427 available in the 69 camaro was the ZL-1 which was ordered by Fred Gibb if memory serves correct. There were 69 ZL-1 camaros produced. He had a heck of a time selling them and I think Chevrolet either bought some back or redistributed them to other dealers. I think the ZL-1 was about a $4000 option. This engine was I thin developed for CAN-AM racing back in the late 60's.

I do think there are several 427-425 HP cars in SS. I think but am not sure Brian Oakes runs that combo, and maybe Jack Sepanek and a few others, I think most of the 69 camaros running in SS/C would be the 427-425hp as that combo is a natural D, which was originally a Corvette engine package. The ZL-1 I think is a natural B car.

Like I said, I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I have read a fair amount about the COPO Camaros over the years and what I wrote should be kinda sorta close. Might not be exact.

And, I too saw the B-J auction for the COPO 69 camaro.....I have never heard of an RS COPO Camaro.Most if not all of the COPOS I recall were basically base model type cars.

COPO stood for Central Office Production Order...GM had a ban on all cars besides the Corvette getting the real high HP engines. Some dealers found a loophole for lack of a better term with the COPO thing....the real job of the COPO deal was for fleet vehicles. I am thinking Vince Piggins at Chevrolet kinda worked things for some dealers to get Vette engines in non Vette cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen & Horace Johnson View Post
How many of these cars were built? they are all aluminum motors right? Is there any of them running S/SS? I just saw one go for 137k on B-J

Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
RecordHolder

Last edited by Michael Kilduff; 01-24-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: added on
Michael Kilduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kilduff View Post
Stephen/Horace,

I don't claim to be a first generation Camaro expert, but I have heard and read that there might have been 900 or more 427/425hp COPO 1969camaros made. The Yenko SC COPOs were probably the most famous, and there were either 198 or 201 of the Yenkos made. There is some debate about that number officially.

Then there were other dealers getting in on the COPO 427/425 thing too...I think Baldwin Motion and Berger were a couple of them.

The 427/425 HP in a Camaro was -I think- option RPO L72 and was definately an iron block. The 427/425HP was also available in '69 chevelles.

The only aluminum block 427 available in the 69 camaro was the ZL-1 which was ordered by Fred Gibb if memory serves correct. There were 69 ZL-1 camaros produced. He had a heck of a time selling them and I think Chevrolet either bought some back or redistributed them to other dealers. I think the ZL-1 was about a $4000 option. This engine was I thin developed for CAN-AM racing back in the late 60's.

I do think there are several 427-425 HP cars in SS. I think but am not sure Brian Oakes runs that combo, and maybe Jack Sepanek and a few others, I think most of the 69 camaros running in SS/C would be the 427-425hp as that combo is a natural D, which was originally a Corvette engine package. The ZL-1 I think is a natural B car.

Like I said, I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I have read a fair amount about the COPO Camaros over the years and what I wrote should be kinda sorta close. Might not be exact.

And, I too saw the B-J auction for the COPO 69 camaro.....I have never heard of an RS COPO Camaro.Most if not all of the COPOS I recall were basically base model type cars.

COPO stood for Central Office Production Order...GM had a ban on all cars besides the Corvette getting the real high HP engines. Some dealers found a loophole for lack of a better term with the COPO thing....the real job of the COPO deal was for fleet vehicles. I am thinking Vince Piggins at Chevrolet kinda worked things for some dealers to get Vette engines in non Vette cars.

So was Dick Ogle's old 69 Camaro that he used to run in SS/B a COPO version before he went to the vette? thanks for the info

Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
RecordHolder
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stephen/Horace,

Yes, that would have been a COPO. I'm not sure how the combos fit in the class guides back in the old days, so I can't say for sure what combo Olges may have actually ran. But I feel rather sure it would have to have been the ZL-1. I don't think the 427/425 can make it to B. The last time I checked-about a year ago-the 427/425 '69 Camaro is a natural D car. The ZL-1 is a natural B, I think it breaks at 6.56.

Also, I do recall reading in the engine specs at NHRA's site that the ZL-1 as used in SS can be either iron or aluminum block.

Last edited by Michael Kilduff; 01-24-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: add on
Michael Kilduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
RJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Also, I do recall reading in the engine specs at NHRA's site that the ZL-1 as used in SS can be either iron or aluminum block.
The iron block in the ZL-1 combo is being used in stock also.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Steve Koppien's blue Camaro that he won Stock Eliminator at Brainerd with last season is a honest-to-Gawd COPO 9561.

Alan Nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

All posted info correct...
But #'s say,,822 of the COPO 9561 L-72 units were built, all 4-speeds.
Then, an additional 193 automatic units were built, for a total of 1015.
Since I was at New York National Speedway on Long Island numerous times, home base for Motion Performance, I did get to see a couple of them. AHRA-based track..Most of them ran 11.80's or so. Would be
NHRA-classed SS/C then SS/D.
First race for a ZL-1,,,AHRA Winternationals, January 69' in Arizona.
PC
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #10
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow....Im not a Chevy guy, nice explanation, I always wondered what certain acronyms meant (COPO) etc....I saw a "Paint Delete" car on Ebay a while back, Camaro .... Paint Delete....strange.....

Nice history, I know 300% more about the COPO than before I read it.

Cheers

Chris

Quote:
Stephen/Horace,

Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote