HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
Tom Broome

Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts
Default Re: How about severely limiting "Super" class entries?

If I had my way, I'd make the "Super" Classes more performance based. Maybe limit the engine sizes. Why do you "need" 600 or 700 inches to go 8.90 or 9.90. I know why they do it, but they don't need to do it. Making them "cruise" a little less can't hurt, can it? If done correctly, wouldn't it look a little more like a race, not a practice tree/timer competition?
Tom Broome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Broome View Post
If I had my way, I'd make the "Super" Classes more performance based. Maybe limit the engine sizes. Why do you "need" 600 or 700 inches to go 8.90 or 9.90. I know why they do it, but they don't need to do it. Making them "cruise" a little less can't hurt, can it? If done correctly, wouldn't it look a little more like a race, not a practice tree/timer competition?
No motivation for NHRA to change the classes, limiting engine sizes is just more rules for tech officials to enforce which is contrary to the direction they’re going. They are a “cash cow” more so than us because they don’t require much tech and they fill their quotas. The cow is already out of the barn on this one. But do think no burnouts across the line in SC would be a start.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #13
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Broome View Post
Was Super Comp more of a spectator draw 20 years ago when they were mostly 8.30 cars and not the 7.50 cars of today? No, the cruise time doesn't matter. The spectators don't watch Pro Stock either.

Lowering the indexes will push out the slow cars, and maybe that would be fine if there were some sort of benefit on the other end but I can't think of any.
Liked
Old 01-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #14
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

From someone who got their start in the Super classes and still have alot of friends racing there I can't think of anything more offensive as to what was said here. I can't think of any of them that has ever said anything similar to what was suggested here either. Every racer chooses their style of racing and what interest some may not interest someone else but it doesn't make it any less important as far as the sport goes.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
From someone who got their start in the Super classes and still have alot of friends racing there I can't think of anything more offensive as to what was said here. I can't think of any of them that has ever said anything similar to what was suggested here either. Every racer chooses their style of racing and what interest some may not interest someone else but it doesn't make it any less important as far as the sport goes.
Well said.
I continue to compete in Super Gas because it affords me the time to spend working on all the Stock and Super Stock cars I build, both at the track and the shop.
That said ,I would love to see the Index lowered a substantial amount ,NHRA made a huge mistake by not lowering them as Horse Power became easier to build or buy We arent running TRW pistons and Factory castings and cranks any more. my choice would be by more than a second . I believe the classes should be 7.90 -8.90 -9.90 . or maybe even .60's !
Old 01-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #16
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
Well said.
That said ,I would love to see the Index lowered a substantial amount ,NHRA made a huge mistake by not lowering them as Horse Power became easier to build or buy We arent running TRW pistons and Factory castings and cranks any more. my choice would be by more than a second . I believe the classes should be 7.90 -8.90 -9.90 . or maybe even .60's !
What would be accomplished by doing that, Tom? Just making the club more exclusive?

The people who can afford to would just buy bigger stuff, although they probably have enough horsepower already.

At least with Stock/Super Stock, the rules force a little more innovation and smarts to run the index. Can't just throw in a bigger bullet.

For me, there is no difference in the amount of fun between a wide open pass and a throttle stop pass. Sure, the number on the slip isn't impressive but it's just a target. I don't see why we'd want to lower the index just to push people out.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #17
Wayne Scraba

Liked 147 Times in 42 Posts
Smile Re: How about severely limiting "Super" class entries?

I might catch some flak over this, but I always thought one of the Super categories should be a "no electronics" eliminator (just like the original Pro Gas series from way back when that started all of this). I think it would be interesting, but what do I know?

Wayne
Wayne Scraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #18
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Scraba View Post
I might catch some flak over this, but I always thought one of the Super categories should be a "no electronics" eliminator (just like the original Pro Gas series from way back when that started all of this). I think it would be interesting, but what do I know?

Wayne
They included some of the no electronics index classes 8.50. 10.00 and 1150 at some division one races not a big turn out
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #19
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Scraba View Post

Wayne
Wayne , I'd love to see them follow the Nostalga Gasser rules . 2 step and air shifter . dead bolt restrictor plate or weight to hit the number
Old 01-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #20
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts

I would love for a .90 guy or gal to post a thread about “let’s limit the Stock & SS cars” at National Events. This site would explode and people would be throwing rocks at each other. Seriously, does it matter what we race? Unless it’s Indy the stands are empty for pretty much all Sportsman racing except maybe the Factory Stock guys. We honestly need to support each other no matter what you run, just be glad we have places to race and cars to race with. In the past week here on the EC we’ve had one track close and another discontinue its bracket program. Did NHRA drop the ball on limiting the et’s and speeds on the .90 cars...yes but, it’s too little, too late. You put sponsor dollars in front of NHRA and they grab it, so when you have a throttle stop company who wants to give cash for running their products, they go for it because when that cash isn’t used...where does it go (I know where it goes). We’re a product of our own demise, people forget that the goal of what we do is 8.90, 9.90 or 10.90...the win light doesn’t come on if you go 180mph in SG, we’ve just made that the “norm” if you want to win in the .90 classes and in the process have forced people out of the sport and out of .90 racing because of the cost.

I know one thing, don’t take a boat ride with Bob, because if the ship is sinking, he’s bailing and leaving us all to drown!

Rob K.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote