HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #1
BOB KIRKBRIDE

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Default How about severely limiting "Super" class entries?

As an old racer who started racing in 1961 when there was mainly class racing, I would like to see an increase in Stock and Super Stock quotas and a drastic decrease in those damn throttle stop classes. I know a lot of great drivers come out of those classes but nobody wants to watch them except their competitors. I talk to a lot of old racers who will never go to a National event and for sure not a divisional race because of the hundreds of "stumble bum" cars, (my wife's word for them) Just the sound of them makes me sick to my stomach! Sorry for the rant but I would rather see Pro bracket and Super Pro bracket racers than those damn "Super?" things. Just think, with less of them we could have class eliminations at every event! I could dig that! Just an old racers thoughts who did race until 6 years ago at 70 years old.
BOB KIRKBRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:56 AM   #2
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: How about severely limiting "Super" class entries?

I try not to run near the end of Super Street, otherwise on the way back to the trailer I'm having to dodge all of the spectators rushing to the stands for Stock Eliminator.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:02 AM   #3
Tom P

Liked 213 Times in 85 Posts

I took my uncle to a race once, he'd been to sports car races before but not drags. He seemed interested in what was going on until SuperGas came out then was totally dumfounded at what was going on. "That seems like maybe the fuel pump was turned off" or "maybe the throttle cable broke".

I had already explained to him about the car getting there first breaking out and losing for being too fast.... which seemed a very strange concept to him but this launching hard them idling, then back on the gas thing was nothing he'd ever have understood.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

Liked 262 Times in 124 Posts

Super class (index) racing started out running flat out.Some where down the road throttle stops were introduces and allowed so we're just playing by the rules. I would rather run a super class with out a TS but that's not happening.
Robbie Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

There are many ways to slice that apple to .90. NHRA wants to do less work and the Super classes and Top classes allow them the luxury. There are fewer tech guys that know what is what on a stocker these days. When they shot Modified Elim. between the eyes, that was the beginning. Dam I am getting old.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #6
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Have run Super Street with some success over the years and for me the old pre-throttle stop days were more fun but pretty clear it’s hard to win without a throttle stop today. Years ago when Mike Coughlin won SG at Indy with essentially a throttled Pro Stock car it unfortunately started a seemingly irreversible trend. Still, I enjoy watching Super Street class, great variety of cars, with Vogelsang winning in a low MPH car (plus the amazing low MPH lenco Camaro of Tim Nicholson) so at least there is some variety. No, I don’t wish for our quota increases to be at their expense. The PRO entourage is what eats up pit space and they could run more class cars if they forego the tee shirt cannon stuff. If someone doesn’t want to see the Super classes run there’s plenty more ways to spend the time.

Last edited by jmcarter; 01-12-2020 at 09:50 AM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
CMcAllister

Liked 736 Times in 206 Posts

I like most kinds of drag racing - they are all challenging in their own way - and find the variety of things one can do on a simple dragstrip to be interesting. Some are about performance, some are about precision; both of which appeal to me.

I may think that some of what is being done is crap, but I mostly stay quiet about it and remain grateful that those folks show up and spend the money that keep the tracks, parts manufacturers, machine shops, chassis shops and anyone else involved gainfully employed - and keep butts in the seats.

No body gets here and gets to be successful at their chosen pursuit without paying some dues. Wishing for a certain group to disappear isn't helpful to anyone. It's bad enough that there are people sitting in boardrooms who have the power to keep people from participating and regardless the method or reasons that make sense to them, they're doing it.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

As much as I would like to see more quota in the stock and super stock classe the .90 cars have earned their place. They race hard and are dedicated to their type of racing. I do think that they need a pretty good index adjustment of at least .5 to get them off of the stop for such a long delay. Might make it less boring at least in SG. The SC dragster parade is terminally boring no matter what they do with that class.10:0, 9.0 and 8.0 might be some better indexes for those classes and be more in line with what they are actually capable of running.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,587 Times in 1,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB KIRKBRIDE View Post
As an old racer who started racing in 1961 when there was mainly class racing, I would like to see an increase in Stock and Super Stock quotas and a drastic decrease in those damn throttle stop classes. I know a lot of great drivers come out of those classes but nobody wants to watch them except their competitors. I talk to a lot of old racers who will never go to a National event and for sure not a divisional race because of the hundreds of "stumble bum" cars, (my wife's word for them) Just the sound of them makes me sick to my stomach! Sorry for the rant but I would rather see Pro bracket and Super Pro bracket racers than those damn "Super?" things. Just think, with less of them we could have class eliminations at every event! I could dig that! Just an old racers thoughts who did race until 6 years ago at 70 years old.
Nothing worse than ENTITLEMENT .....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
t.tosto

Liked 61 Times in 22 Posts

I'd like to think we are all in this together. To each their own, let's enjoy what's left for as long as we can. Participation at all levels helps us all, just my opinion.
t.tosto is offline   Reply With Quote