HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Default Upgrading fuel system need recommendations

Have a 69 Nova currently with a 500hp 396 and a 750 double pumper. My current setup works for this combination but now I'm building a mild 509 that will make somewhere in the 700hp range and have a Dominator.

Currently I'm running a single Holley black pump with #10 line to a y-block sends 2 #6 lines to 2 holley regulators and then feeds the front and rear bowls of the carburetor.
Below is a sketch of the system as it is now.
As you can see, I'm looking to step into the 21st century with my fuel system.

What are your recommendations for the new motor, I'm not sure that this setup will be enough to feed it. I searched around and it seemd like the magnafuel pumps are the way to go.
Could someone give me a good pump/regulator recommendation?

Also, do any of you route your fuel system this way?

Does anyone use return lines?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Ron Finney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading fuel system need recommendations

This won't be a popular answer, but it will be truthful. You have all the fuel system you need with the black pump and your combo. If you do the fuel consumption equations to calculate the pounds per hour, you will see you have enough. Most people run way more pump than needed. I have a 572 that runs S/C in my altered that uses a black pump. In fact I actually put on a Jeg's 105gal./hr. pump at the US nationals a year ago, because my pump starting getting noisy and that was all I had. There was absolutely no change in ET in S/C. What I do like aboout the smaller pumps is that they don't pull that much current. If you want to upgrade I would look at the holley HP pump. Its cost effective and rated to 950 hp. And before everyone starts the acceleration argument, yes, my fuel cell is on back and I am pumping against the G-force of acceleration.

However, if you want to upgrade, you can;t go wrong with the Magna fuel, Aeromotive A2000 or the Weldon pumps. They are the cadillacs so to speak. But, you will need to utilize a return line system to use these pumps.

One question I had on your drawing though, why two regulators? There are two outlets on a holley regulator and I run one to the front bowl and one to the rear. Just curious.

Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
bob gonier

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I went with all Aeromotive stuff on my '70 Nova. Their fuel log/return style regulator is awesome and really cleans up the engine compartment. A 2" throttle stop fits underneith nicely. I'm currently running the A1000 pump with great results and have been 9.80's @ 136 mph. After a full season, not even a hiccup.........

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828 resized.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	10356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1829 resized.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	10357  
bob gonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
sst1226

Thats a good question Bob. When I got the car, it always had 2 regulators on it, so I left it alone.

Does Aeromotive have routing instructions for plumbing a return system?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
sst1226

Never mind, found it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Chuck Westcott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Upgrading fuel system need recommendations

Just my opinion- The Filter should always be installed before the Pump.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

after talking to Aeromotive their recommendation regarding return line/by pass regulators is unless you are making about 900+ HP , have multiple carbs or running a Nitrous system it is not necessary---one thing that does happen tho is by using a return line you are A) heating the fuel B) aerating the fuel--- because of A&B most cars in their(Aero) opinion do not need a bypass/return line---Because you have the tank in the rear in order to hav ample fuel supply I would run a -12 line to the reg --eliminate the Y and then run a -10 or at the minimum a -8 to each float bowl---as for a pump a Aeromotive/Weldon/Magnafuel will work just fine---- watch the current(Amp) draw on the pump you decide on--- stay away from Barry Grant and some of the Holleys they draw lots of Amps!!!!!
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

that should be 900 HP OR Nitrous OR multiple carbs not all 3--just ONE of those situations then MAYBE a return/bypass line is called for
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Chuck Westcott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Upgrading fuel system need recommendations

Remember one thing ! Weldon is Guaranteed for Life and that means as long as you own it period ! Call Jim Craig @ Weldon and ask Him for a second opinion, You'll be glad you did !
Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's see a #8 about .400 dia for a .120 neddle & seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
after talking to Aeromotive their recommendation regarding return line/by pass regulators is unless you are making about 900+ HP , have multiple carbs or running a Nitrous system it is not necessary---one thing that does happen tho is by using a return line you are A) heating the fuel B) aerating the fuel--- because of A&B most cars in their(Aero) opinion do not need a bypass/return line---Because you have the tank in the rear in order to hav ample fuel supply I would run a -12 line to the reg --eliminate the Y and then run a -10 or at the minimum a -8 to each float bowl---as for a pump a Aeromotive/Weldon/Magnafuel will work just fine---- watch the current(Amp) draw on the pump you decide on--- stay away from Barry Grant and some of the Holleys they draw lots of Amps!!!!!
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote