HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading fuel system need recommendations

its all about providing an ample supply of fuel to the carb/carbs---yes it might be slightly oversized but much better than being undersized ---I realize that ya all put these humongeous pumps 300-500 gal/phour and fuel lines on and the fuel only has to get thru a 70 something to 90 something jet---but cuz of all the bends and restrictions ya put in the fuel delivery system plus having to overcome having the tank in the rear of the vehicle--- can it really hurt------think about it ya can probably do a quick burnout and run most if not the whole 1/4 with whatever fuel ya have in just the float bowls-- ya really dont need much more than a 1 gal fuel tank plus what ever is in the fuel lines to do a burn out run the 1/4 and drive back down the return road, go to the scales and go back to your pit spot and have maybe at least a 1/2 gal if not more left over---ya wanna run a -6 or -8 fine go ahead and do it---makes no difference to me whatsoever
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mario

Your system looks adequate mechanically, It’s possible that the previous guy used two regulators because he had one apart and noted how small the feed hole is in these regulators.
Electrically you need to drive the pump with an adequately sized wiring and a relay.
You can use the switch to control the relay I also would use a Holley oil pressure safety switch that way when you shut of the ignition the pump dies as well. And finally pay attention to the grounding of the pump the body and / or the chassis are not always the best way to ground things with a high amperage draw.

Last edited by Bill Baer; 01-19-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Finney View Post
This won't be a popular answer, but it will be truthful. You have all the fuel system you need
x2

with nothing more than a Mallory Comp 140 pump and filter plumbed off the stock, unsump fuel tank, pushing fuel through the stock 3/8" fuel line to a dead headed regulator, I made over 4000 passes in this car, running a best of 1.28 60 foot and 10.07 ET n/a at 3880 lbs. with a 700HP cast iron oval port headed 468

under the hood of this car

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for all your input.

I think for now I will leave the fuel system as is and put the 509 in and go from there. I figure the less I change in between engine swaps, the less amount of variables I will have to deal with should a problem arise. Not to mention the car had the same setup years ago with the exception that we used 2 holley blue pumps from each sump being fed into a "Y" into the #8 supply line running up to the front and the car went 9.80's with an iron headed 454. The only difference now is a have a single black pump.

Ron, the reason for 2 regulators was just as Bill had stated, the small feed holes. Figure it was better to use a regulator for each bowl rather than split that small feed hole 2 ways.

And yes I do have a seperate relay for the fuel pump as well as all the other electronics on the car.

Eventually I was thinking of going to a setup like Bob Gonier's with the regulator on the return side.

Bob Gonier, I was wondering:

What size supply and return lines do you run? I have heard of some guys not being able to reduce the fuel pressure enough with a small return line, although they may have been using a pump that flows crazy numbers.

Where did you route the return line? On my 69' there is a hole in the rear frame for the supply line to go through where it runs over the axle.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

The feed hole in the holley reg is less than .250 in diameter and has a .090 pin going through it further reducing the available flow. Always use 2 or send those regulators out and be modified for more flow or get a regulator with more flow capability. I think your system has plenty of capacity for your applications.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
bob gonier

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst1226 View Post

Bob Gonier, I was wondering:

What size supply and return lines do you run? I have heard of some guys not being able to reduce the fuel pressure enough with a small return line, although they may have been using a pump that flows crazy numbers.

Where did you route the return line? On my 69' there is a hole in the rear frame for the supply line to go through where it runs over the axle.

I'm running all -10 from the cell to the regulator and -8 for the return. I was going to run -10 for the return also, but Aeromotive said no need. The regulator after the carb seemed a bit strange, but the fuel sytem has been rock solid and I like the clean look it provides. Both my fuel lines are simply run between the frame connector and the rocker panel and come up to a pair of bulkheads coming into the trunk. Very simple and clean .

Bob
bob gonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

The regulator after the carb is a great system. I have a lot of D Track alky users that run that type of system. It keeps a good solid slug of no aireated (SP?) fuel to the needle and seats.