HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
SST159

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Default Unsolved mystery

Looking for some input.
Last race out a few weeks ago between 1000’and finish line I heard the motor pop once.
After losing the round I drove back to the trailer thinking what was that all about.
I pulled the run up on the computer from Race Pac and I see a spike in the graph.
This explained the pop because it went up on the rev limiter chip.
The mystery is that the motor spiked only once and very briefly but the driveshaft did not. The converter slippage ratio was normal after the spike and the rest of the run was fine after the pop. Anyone ever experience this and if so what did they learn from it? Your input may save me from a wild wrench chase? I have to assume its either converter or trans related. PS converter is new with only 30 passes on it and Trans is PG with only 150 passes on it.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
RIP SHAW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unsolved mystery

Drew, I just had a problem with a bare spot on the crank trigger wire causing a miss at 6500 rpm. the tach started jumping around from 3000 to 8000. MSD said it was interference getting in from the fan and water pump.Sealed up the wire and its fine now. Rip
RIP SHAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP SHAW View Post
Drew, I just had a problem with a bare spot on the crank trigger wire causing a miss at 6500 rpm. the tach started jumping around from 3000 to 8000. MSD said it was interference getting in from the fan and water pump.Sealed up the wire and its fine now. Rip

I had a similar problem when I ran A/SM with a front drive distributor and the coil mounted inside the car. The crank trigger wire got too close to the coil wire and caused a high speed engine miss from interference.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
SST159

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Thanks Guys.
Sounds like its more motor related than drive train.
My trigger wire, fan, water pump wire is not real close to the coil wire at all but I will check both to make sure its not a wire issue.
I would think think a miss would cause the RPM to Drop rather than spike and also the drive shaft would show a small amount of drop as well?