HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 06-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #1
Billy Baker

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Honda generator problem

I have an older Honda em2200 x generator that was my Dad’s.
It runs great,but if it sits for more that 3 days it won’t produce power to the AC Outlets. So far I’ve replaced brushes and cleaned rings that brushes ride on, and tried spinning a drill in reverse to re flash the unit. Nothing has worked so far. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts
Default Re: Honda generator problem

Your description makes it sounds like this has happened more than once. How do you get the power to come back on and reset the "three day" clock?
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

Many generators exhibit those same symptoms if the unit is turned off while under load or if the unit runs out of gas while under load --- not sure about the 3 day deal but the thing "demagnetizes " and stops making AC I'm not a generator guy just know from my life experience that these things happen -FED 397

Last edited by FED 387; 06-26-2019 at 12:09 PM.
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Its hokey but is a proper way to flash the field on some portables and is described in their manuals.

Take a 9 volt battery and attach 2 wires to it with a snap cap easy to buy.

You can stick the 2 wires directly into an outlet with the unit not running.

If that doesn't work you can do it running.....very quickly....and get outta there...because 120 volts will be there if it starts generating and very quickly.....

The rotors do indeed lose residual magnetism....

Many machines have a built in field flash circuit during startup....
That would have to be a electric start machine with a battery...the battery voltage is applied to the brushes as it cranks...

Hondas usually have a voltage regulator....if yours doesn't it may have a capacitor to control output voltage.....cheap generators use just a capacitor......It may be bad if it has that for voltage regulation....

Older/cheaper machines tend to do this.....not make AC output without some external help on initial startup after sitting around unused.....
Liked
Old 06-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
Billy Baker

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

340 cuda- we can start it and shut it down between 5-10 times and it will finally supply AC power.

FED- it’s not been run out of gas or shut down with a load on it. It sat for about a year without being started is all.

Rich- thanks for the suggestions! I’m not familiar with snap caps, would this be something I could get at a Home Depot or similar big box store? Also would the polarity matter as far how the 9 volt plugs into AC outlets. I am super electrically challenged. Also it has an AVR on it which is an Automatic Voltage regulator

Thanks All!
Old 06-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 652 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
Its hokey but is a proper way to flash the field on some portables and is described in their manuals.

Take a 9 volt battery and attach 2 wires to it with a snap cap easy to buy.

You can stick the 2 wires directly into an outlet with the unit not running.

If that doesn't work you can do it running.....very quickly....and get outta there...because 120 volts will be there if it starts generating and very quickly.....

The rotors do indeed lose residual magnetism....

Many machines have a built in field flash circuit during startup....
That would have to be a electric start machine with a battery...the battery voltage is applied to the brushes as it cranks...

Hondas usually have a voltage regulator....if yours doesn't it may have a capacitor to control output voltage.....cheap generators use just a capacitor......It may be bad if it has that for voltage regulation....

Older/cheaper machines tend to do this.....not make AC output without some external help on initial startup after sitting around unused.....
Everything you described I have for a problem with a Generic 6000. I will try the 9 volt test
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

My description was not very good on that 9 volt battery connector...

You can buy the snap on connector for a 9 volt battery is what I meant.

You used to easily get one at places like Radio Shack......or any electrical supply store but they are few and far between anymore......

Stuff like that I buy off Amazon. They sell everything.

Polarity does not matter....

It sounds hokey as I mentioned but its mentioned in some service manuals and I've done it, successfully.....

Try it NOT running first but if that does not work....try it running.....

You usually see a small arc if its doing anything....a current draw....even with engine off

If no luck that way, Start the machine.....stick the battery wires into an outlet and if it works it will arc very quickly...…..so you obviously have to get right out of there....120 volts will hurt you !

It may continue to make AC voltage after that each time you shut it off and restart it......or it may just go back to not producing voltage....

I have rigged up external "field flash" circuits on larger machines that would not make voltage on their own....

Usually a diesel welder that has brushes......Apply cranking voltage to brushes thru a relay circuit......Can't allow a back feed off those brushes once its running and making voltage...…

Onan generators all have a field flash circuit on startup......and your little battery deal is just trying to do the same thing.

I forgot one important detail

Most brushless generators have an excitation winding that produces an AC current applied to the AVR......The AVR rectifies that to DC and uses it to control the field for voltage buildup and regulation
It's very common to see portables that make no voltage due to the excitation winding being bad.
It would need a new Stator if that's the problem......an ohmmeter generally will show you and open condition on that excitation winding...…

Small portables in todays world are mostly throwaways when they fail on the generator end.....to much $$ for replacement rotors and stators and practically all of them are import made.....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 06-27-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
Billy Baker

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I will give this a try. Thanks for the explaination!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

If your talking about a small 9 volt battery you can cut the snap cap off an old smoke alarm or any other gizmo that's N*G. gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked