HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 02-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #51
Tod Lane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: The death of bracket racing........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
I've talked to several Super Pro/Box racers who've said they would never go back to Pro/No Box type racing. I might get my *** handed to me from time to time, but I still prefer to live and die by my own hand. I really like Stock and Superstock racing, and would love to have a stocker of my own, but its not in the cards at this time, so to get my "fix", I bracket race my Nova.
Danny Durham
Well said...
Drive, not program your car.
Tod Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #52
Tod Lane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Thats because those drivers probably could not drive a nail with a hammer without electronic aids...LOL
There is whole generation or two of drivers who will never know how good they could be...
Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #53
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
you forgot one thing.......The DELAY BOX !
Another is the RAIL dragster.

Some more are double entries and buy backs. I apologize for the redundancy if these have already been mentioned.

I took my street/strip car to the track today for a local bracket race. This was a 2K to win footbrake race and several racers were double entered and running 2 different cars, each entered twice! Yes, one driver with 4 actual entries. On top of that the buy backs were for first and second round.

Something else that I think is hurting bracket racing nowadays is the cost involved. Footbrake racing isn't so bad but the electronics crowd-at least around here-is seriously hooked on being the last car to leave.

The last 2 weekends we have had 4 races at two tracks within 30 miles of each other and there were quite a few sub 4.5 second cars rails (this is eigth mile) and several high 4 second full bodied cars. I would guess such cars are making 1200 HP or close to it, probably 25K engines and the trans and tires probably don't hang around for long either.

And I do think enclosed trailers have hurt all racing to a degree. Potential fans get a lot more excited seeing an actual race car on a trailer going down the highway or pulled in at a gas station than they do when they see a big white box going down the road.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #54
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: The death of bracket racing........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kilduff View Post
Another is the RAIL dragster.

Some more are double entries and buy backs. I apologize for the redundancy if these have already been mentioned.

I took my street/strip car to the track today for a local bracket race. This was a 2K to win footbrake race and several racers were double entered and running 2 different cars, each entered twice! Yes, one driver with 4 actual entries. On top of that the buy backs were for first and second round.

Something else that I think is hurting bracket racing nowadays is the cost involved. Footbrake racing isn't so bad but the electronics crowd-at least around here-is seriously hooked on being the last car to leave.

The last 2 weekends we have had 4 races at two tracks within 30 miles of each other and there were quite a few sub 4.5 second cars rails (this is eigth mile) and several high 4 second full bodied cars. I would guess such cars are making 1200 HP or close to it, probably 25K engines and the trans and tires probably don't hang around for long either.

And I do think enclosed trailers have hurt all racing to a degree. Potential fans get a lot more excited seeing an actual race car on a trailer going down the highway or pulled in at a gas station than they do when they see a big white box going down the road.
Without the delay box the dragsters are no better than a door car. Probably worse as I dont recall very many doing well until the delay box came out along with the trans brake.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #55
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Drag Racing is an activity done for enjoyment on our free time, away from work. When did it become for the mighty dollar. It's not the introduction of the dragster, delay box, enclosed trailer, motorhome, trick of the week, I think greed and ego are two of the most important ingredients that have contaminated our sport. Maybe it's my Huckleberry Finn way of thinking but I was brought up in the age of doing with little, as much as you can, not the"just go out and buy the trick piece of the week mentality that perceivers now. One of the most heard sentence in a drag racer now is " I won't race my car down that track for the purse he pays, it's not enough, look I have 65k invested in my car and another $250k in my motorhome and toter are you carzy? Or I won't race against that piece of crap because of the same reasons. When did we have a Royalty class added to drag racing. I don't care who you are and how much your car is worth, just stage and shut up. The best prepared driver will win. I can remember racing in the late 70's early 80's and one of the racer was using a reaction timer box against all of us yahoo's who didn't have one(and winning) and hearing the announcer blaberring how great this guy was with his 501 lights until we discovered his little secret, he wasn't so great after he was found cheating( we had a no electronic aids of any type allowed posted). I love drag racing for that heart pounding boost shot of adrenaline I get whenever the tree is coming down. Don't blame full-time racers who are actually able to scratch a living from doing what they love(we all wish we were that committed)we should blame ourselves for not standing up for our local tracks and helping it's survival(doesn't matter that the owner is an ahole) This is the best thrill, short of being shot at, by a jealous husband. CR p.s. I couldn't think of going to a race or racing without a motorhome.(Old age has it's privilege)

Last edited by cicero819; 03-01-2011 at 10:20 PM.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #56
Tod Lane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Without the delay box the dragsters are no better than a door car. Probably worse as I dont recall very many doing well until the delay box came out along with the trans brake.
We used to make a living off them... Took out four one night in Muncie, including a Top Alky car that was testing and actually made it a round or two.
We were dialed somewhere in the tens, I left and I looked back better than half way down the track or more he was still siting still, About 3/4 way down I saw a big flash in the mirror and I thought "he blew the POS up" and thought about peddling it. Glad I didn't, he blew by me about two feet past the finish line, I thought he was going to suck the paint off the car as he went past! The flash I saw was him leaving.

We went a lot of rounds without all the driving aids, I don't ever aim to change if I can find a way to race with out them