HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #111
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts
Default Re: Misconception on a slow stocker winning

Jody is dedicated to his craft. His excellence is partially due to sticking with his lower class cars instead of migrating to faster classes like many do. Surprising he doesn’t have more championships.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:23 PM   #112
Greg Hogue

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Good tread and a lot of good information for a stock eliminator hopefully.

after years of running Comp and being a sideshow in Top Dragster, I'm wanting to get back to real racing. I am a lot better bottom bulb racer than I am a box racer. I started in Comp.

What is the thought on consistency in slower cars when a turbocharger is involved? I am putting together an AF/S Dodge Daytona. I will use a Holley ECM.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #113
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts

I apologize because I didn't read all the responses, but...Didn't take long to see Jody Lang's name come up. I think most of us can agree he is the John Daly of stock elim. How many people watching a PGA on TV would think John Daly could ever win a major? Years of experience and handling pressure just like J.L. My swoopy 99 Camaro is one of the most consistent 1/4 mile cars I've ever owned. It just doesn't care about slight tail or head winds (it just needs a good driver) I see people asking about what stocker should I buy? My answer is always the same....The fastest one you can't afford!
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:55 PM   #114
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 393 Times in 181 Posts
Cool Re: Misconception on a slow stocker winning

Didnt a slow Super Stocker win Seattle ?
Old 08-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #115
Barry Polley

Liked 552 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Jody is dedicated to his craft. His excellence is partially due to sticking with his lower class cars instead of migrating to faster classes like many do. Surprising he doesn’t have more championships.
It’s my opinion that you could put Jody in a fast car and he would have the same results. It’s about reading the weather, track , opponents and data. He is very good at what he does.
👍
Old 08-02-2022, 12:49 PM   #116
Dan Bennett

Liked 352 Times in 77 Posts

I was working in Pro Stock in the 90s and finally met a compuserve friend - Toby Lang - at seattle. I had been trying to push new frontiers in finding out the best way to race and win races.

After I talked to him, I walked away with my head spinning. That family was doing things I never once thought of - that made total sense - and it showed then and shows now. I admire that team as much as any I've ever dealt with - pro or sportsman.

That they were excellent drivers helped a lot also.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #117
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Polley View Post
It’s my opinion that you could put Jody in a fast car and he would have the same results. It’s about reading the weather, track , opponents and data. He is very good at what he does.
👍
You could put Jody on a skate board and he would still win, just be a little harder to dial.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:44 PM   #118
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,808 Times in 572 Posts

Jody has been kind enough to help my son
Jon several times. We have the upmost respect
for him as a racer and a person!
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #119
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hogue View Post

after years of running Comp and being a sideshow in Top Dragster, I'm wanting to get back to real racing. I am a lot better bottom bulb racer than I am a box racer. I started in Comp.

What is the thought on consistency in slower cars when a turbocharger is involved? I am putting together an AF/S Dodge Daytona. I will use a Holley ECM.
I'd say no, not a good idea..Overpowered turbo car with a stick? Not gonna be consistent.
Another problem ..Not fast enough, but on the other hand, not "slow" enough.
Sounds confusing but I can explain further if you want.
I'd say, if you're a died in the wool Mopar guys, find a newer EFI stick car that runs DF/S or EF/S.That's your best shot at turning on some win lights against 8, 9 and 10 second cars.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:07 PM   #120
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hogue View Post

Drag racing is all about numbers. You have to have a better package than the car/ driver in the other lane. To accomplish that you have to be able to accurately predict what the dial in has to be. The car has to be consistent on the leave to get a good reaction time The driver has to be on their game to drive both ends of the racetrack better than the racer in the lane next to you. Knowing when to run all out of dump at the stripe. Faster/Quicker cars seem to have an advantage to a certain point on all of these points.. The level of competition in Stock and Super Stock racing right now is incredible. You better be teens on the bulb and with in .01 on the dial to think about going rounds against the hitters. That takes a really good car and concentration by the driver at both ends of the track. Any car can win with a great package.