Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #121
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts
Default Re: Misconception on a slow stocker winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
I'd say no, not a good idea..Overpowered turbo car with a stick? Not gonna be consistent.
Another problem ..Not fast enough, but on the other hand, not "slow" enough.
Sounds confusing but I can explain further if you want.
I'd say, if you're a died in the wool Mopar guys, find a newer EFI stick car that runs DF/S or EF/S.That's your best shot at turning on some win lights against 8, 9 and 10 second cars.
Got me thinking why I picked what I picked. Just exactly why did one guy pick a combo. I'm talking about back when we first got started? How many of us made stupid choices? Personally, I just knew that I wanted a car that was faster than I had ever been in. I certainly didn't want to race something that was slower than my street driven car. In highschool I was driving a 1969 L-88 Camaro back and forth to high school.Set of 4.88's and a set of Hookers made that baby a handful.Bought it with my paper route money. 11.80's @ 116. In today's world it would be a slug. A few years later I purchased one of John Lingenfelter's 383 package Corvettes that I drove back and forth to work. 11.50's. That car was a ball as I hid a delay box in the center console, wired in 4 wheel line locks and ran Super Pro with it. There is something about driving to the track with the Bose stereo blaring, taking out Super Comp and Super Gas cars all day long, then driving home with the prize money. I honestly picked my "real race car" because it did big wheel stands and was faster than I was driving for transportation. You guys bring up a lot of valad points though..

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 08-05-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:07 PM   #122
djm670

Liked 175 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
Harry Doolittle is my hero!
Harry is my hero too! Could not have been more proud of him when he won in SS. There was no quit in Harry! But more proud to just call him a friend!
djm670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:34 PM   #123
djm670

Liked 175 Times in 45 Posts
Talking Re: Misconception on a slow stocker winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
Well maybe Harry Doolittle win will help demystify the myth that you need a fast car to win, I know it was in Super Stock but he did it with a stocker. He did cause three of his opponents to red light.
I think Harry would be the first to tell you that it would be easier to win with a quicker/faster car! My view of a slow stocker with very little chance to win is that of 4 or 6 cylinder with a small carb - probably T/SA or slower which are the ones that are very difficult to dial over a 4 or 5 day race (not many of those now adays - but still holds true where you have to run first round early in the morning without a time trial). Most of these cars are capable of being low qualifier as they have not had many people racing them, getting them consistently factored over the years. But it's one thing to qualify low vs going on to win the race. Lot easer 1976 and earlier when you could run flat out... Wallace and Reider Pinto Wagon .. comes to mind.

I drove Harry's Comet with a stick in it for about 3/4 of a year - the fall of 76 thru the Summernationals in 77. Made it to the semi finals of stock at Englishtown that year with the car and broke out (air was getting better as the afternoon cooled off and progressed into early evening) We used to use carb gaskets with smaller bores in them to restrict the performance. Put the smallest one we had in for that semi final race and still broke out. I said that's it, I am not running a slow car again that is so weather dependent and I didn't.

This thread has been an interesting read. I have started it a few times, but this is the first time I have read it to the end. I loved class racing when I raced; always worked hard to be the fastest in class as that meant something to me. I admire those who can continue to race without winning on a fairly consistent basis. Those that struggle with front wheel drive vehicles. I believe my friend Billy Owen has finally sold his front wheel drive race car and is going back to his Camaro. It is so hard to be consistent for 7 rounds in one of them. Mark Y, you are forever one of my hero's. And Gary Hampton; more power to you, hope you achieve your financial freedom and achieve your racing dreams! I was impressed with your D7 win a year or two ago.

When one's racing career is finished, I don't think it will be the wins and records one set; but the many friends all over the country that he has made that makes the journey so worth while! Going to a good friends birthday tomorrow that won division and national meets with what many considered slow cars in the L thru N or O class automatics classes and hope to see many other old stock racers there.

Now why are they live streaming the D1 Atco race and not the Joliet D3 race? Why not both?

Last edited by djm670; 08-05-2022 at 08:38 PM.
djm670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:17 PM   #124
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 393 Times in 181 Posts

Id like to see more slower stockers being built T/SA on down.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:25 PM   #125
Chip THELEGEND Johnson

Liked 280 Times in 79 Posts

It can be done
Chip THELEGEND Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #126
Ok stocker

Liked 101 Times in 24 Posts

I have a P/sa car we are playing with now. Hope to be competitive 12:80- 12:90 car for next year.
Ok stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:48 PM   #127
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,074 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
Got me thinking why I picked what I picked. Just exactly why did one guy pick a combo. I'm talking about back when we first got started? How many of us made stupid choices? Personally, I just knew that I wanted a car that was faster than I had ever been in. I certainly didn't want to race something that was slower than my street driven car. In highschool I was driving a 1969 L-88 Camaro back and forth to high school.Set of 4.88's and a set of Hookers made that baby a handful.Bought it with my paper route money. 11.80's @ 116. In today's world it would be a slug. A few years later I purchased one of John Lingenfelter's 383 package Corvettes that I drove back and forth to work. 11.50's. That car was a ball as I hid a delay box in the center console, wired in 4 wheel line locks and ran Super Pro with it. There is something about driving to the track with the Bose stereo blaring, taking out Super Comp and Super Gas cars all day long, then driving home with the prize money. I honestly picked my "real race car" because it did big wheel stands and was faster than I was driving for transportation. You guys bring up a lot of valad points though..
What no Matty Box?
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #128
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Just maybe a veteran racer like Lyn Smith with his fancy new Q/SA '55 can ruffle a few feathers next year. I hope so.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:07 PM   #129
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
What no Matty Box?
Actually it's funny you ask. The guy that kept beating me was one of the dirty dozen.I did beat him in a final but he beat me like a red headed step child for two summers before I finally got around him.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:19 PM   #130
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Jeff,
I'm glad that you took my friendly dig in a good natured way. The Dirty Dozen.............I hate those guys.
The Matty Box is a crude and primitive tool compared with what's out there today, and good grief its hard to detect.

Sorry to stray from this thread's intent.

Last edited by Frank Castros; 08-09-2022 at 08:22 PM.