Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-17-2021, 05:53 PM   #11
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Weight transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo340 View Post
Would you say most Stockers are 50/50 or better?
Nope. There are many running running 52% ~ 56% at the nose.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #12
SSDiv6
VIP Member

The weight location depends a lot on the wheel base, engine location and the type of suspension on the car. I always suggest if you have the chance and the opportunity to do so, start by putting the car on the scales.

I also recommend Wayne Scraba's, Darin Morgan's, Rick Jones and/or Jerry Bickel's books on drag racing suspensions and learn the basics of the dynamics and vectors that take place on the suspension.

https://www.amazon.com/Build-Winning.../dp/1557884625

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pow-pow901020

https://quartermax.com/the-rick-jone...-tuning-guide/

https://www.jerrybickel.com/complete...ce-manual.html

I lost count of how many cars I see going down the track porpoising (moving up and down like a Porpoise on the water) because they have put lots of weight behind and/or on top of the rear end making the suspension to unload while driving down the the track. ...or, cars going down the track with the nose up in the air like a lowrider.

You may have a nice weight transfer and wheelstand, but then you give up any gains going down the track by not having a rake angle. Let's not forget its effect on the roll center and pitching of the car the slamming on the brakes.
Liked
Old 06-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #13
SSDiv6
VIP Member

...also, there are some members on this Forum that are very well versed on the dynamics of suspensions and they do it for a living such as Marty Rinehart, Phil Mandella, Randy Mans, Mark Markow and others that may be able to answer questions if they are not busy and available.

Last edited by SSDiv6; 06-17-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #14
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

How about weight at the cross member and the engine moved forward, even though some classes get an allowable setback
Old 06-17-2021, 08:43 PM   #15
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,809 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Nope. There are many running running 52% ~ 56% at the nose.
NON of our cars are 50/50 except the Wagon
when you remove all the ballast = AND there is
usually a whole bunch of that.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-18-2021, 12:02 AM   #16
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
How about weight at the cross member and the engine moved forward, even though some classes get an allowable setback
FWD conversion cars in SS/GT and Super Modified, as required by the on the rule book, have specific limits on the location and placement of the engine.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #17
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo340 View Post
Would you say most Stockers are 50/50 or better?
No.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #18
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Except, if you know what you are doing, you don't put weight over the rear wheels...
3-speed trans don't have anything to do with wheel stands either. There are lots of cars out there with a powerglide that will drag the bumper during the launch.
Really? Sure we've all seen cars with powerglides doing impressive wheelies but there's no way you're going to convince me that a 1:76 or 1:82 first gear would work better than a 2:52 . As far as the weight......unless the laws of physics have changed...adding weight to the back is better than adding weight to the front
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:05 AM   #19
black88coupe

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Physics. Get the car setup right and it will work well. All the power in the world won’t help if the car isn’t setup right. My car pulls the front wheels and I have a grand total of $600 invested in my shortblock and heads. Plus I’m running an AOD trans which has a horrible 1st gear ratio. Spend your money and time on perfecting your chassis setup.

black88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #20
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e vassar View Post
Really? Sure we've all seen cars with powerglides doing impressive wheelies but there's no way you're going to convince me that a 1:76 or 1:82 first gear would work better than a 2:52 . As far as the weight......unless the laws of physics have changed...adding weight to the back is better than adding weight to the front
The problem of many is the lack of understanding of physics.
Physics is more that the laws of leverage or fulcrum and that is were many miss it. The center of gravity of the car has to be considered the same as many other factors. Just because a car has a very high wheelstand, it does not mean the car is fast.

One item people have to understand the concept of wheel speed. Hitting the tires hard on the launch, you hurt the wheel speed.

About transmission 1st gear ratios, the selection depends on the engine powerband. You have to optimize the recovery of the engine Going from a 2.52 gear ration to a 1.00 high gear ratio, due to the RPM drop, is not for all engines. You also optimize the launch with the rear end ratio and torque converter flash and lock RPM's.

By the way, I wrench a Stock Eliminator small block car has does pull the wheels off the ground, carries them without losing wheel speed and the 60's are better than many of the big block cars in the class in the mid 1.30's. None of the weight is on top or behind the axle. I also wrench a Comp Eliminator Super Modified car that has all the weight ahead of the rear axle and 60's are in the low 1.10's and I know that at the right track it will got high 1.0's.