HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 06-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
91mustanglx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Advice,tips and knowledge on .90 racing NHRA

Hey all, from Northern Michigan. All I've ever done is bracket race. Would like to see if I could make it to a couple division 3 events S/G or S/ST. I've never raced an NHRA event before. What's the cost of entry fee's? New motor going together for my car, (fox body mustang) I'm thinking it should run low 9's without a stop. I assume once I get it back together, going to need to get my NHRA license and become a member and car teched. Any tips/advice anything would be greatly appreciated !

Travis.
91mustanglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
91mustanglx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Advice,tips and knowledge on .90 racing NHRA

I'd be one of the slower mph cars I'm sure. But, pretty used to that. I had 6.90 car that was running in the box class with all the fast dragsters etc..

Old 06-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 652 Times in 252 Posts

I think you need to make sure car will pass a spot check tech. I think window net, gloves, make the shoulder belts on bar made to stay in place so they cant slide on bar. Don't hold me to this. Get the rule book for ET and class you want to run and make sure of all safety items are in place and up to date. Pay the money and hit the divisional races to get your grade point for a national and have fun. Others racing in these events are friendly and neighborly in the pits.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
91mustanglx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Jeff, I will be sure to get a rule book and go from there !
Old 06-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
Ray Gottry

Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts

Nice car and good runs! To add to Jeff's post I highly recommend roll bar padding and a neck brace or Hans (type device) also put the face shield down, doesn't help much in a fire in the up position. You will also need an engine diaper, balancer and shields for your trans if you don't already have them. Some of these items need to be SFI certified. The rule book will be a great place to start. Just go through the list and check each one off.

I would recommend Super Street first to get your feet wet, then maybe move up to Super Gas. I ran Super Street for years and it was a lot of fun.

Haven't raced in years, so I am sure that things have changed but I get a rule book every year and try to keep up.

Great video, which camera are you using?

Good Luck!

Ray
Ray Gottry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
ausby

Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

once i started pro tree racing i have no desire to bracket race. youll love it. just get a rule book and get legal and go at it.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #7
91mustanglx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Gottry View Post
Nice car and good runs! To add to Jeff's post I highly recommend roll bar padding and a neck brace or Hans (type device) also put the face shield down, doesn't help much in a fire in the up position. You will also need an engine diaper, balancer and shields for your trans if you don't already have them. Some of these items need to be SFI certified. The rule book will be a great place to start. Just go through the list and check each one off.

I would recommend Super Street first to get your feet wet, then maybe move up to Super Gas. I ran Super Street for years and it was a lot of fun.

Haven't raced in years, so I am sure that things have changed but I get a rule book every year and try to keep up.

Great video, which camera are you using?

Good Luck!

Ray
Thanks Ray. Making a list. As far as camera, I use a go pro hero 7. Seems to work pretty well so far.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
91mustanglx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausby View Post
once i started pro tree racing i have no desire to bracket race. youll love it. just get a rule book and get legal and go at it.
That's kinda what I'm afraid of ausby. Problem is, I live near Cadillac MI, closest divisional race to me would be Indy or Norwalk. We have one non sanctioned track, one closed up for now, the others are IHRA tracks. So this was just kind of a bucket list thing. All we have around me is bracket racing. Nothing wrong with it, grew up watching my family race. But just wanting to try something different.

Is that a Fairmont in your display pic?