HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #11
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

Liked 262 Times in 124 Posts
Default Re: Live from The .90 Dave Stine Memorial Race

Sundays S/ST winner Chris Depascale congrats on your win Sunday.

Chris not only won the race but the Calcutta plus a APD throttle stop plus $200 for best loosing package in SC

Last edited by Robbie Welch; 05-24-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Robbie Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #12
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts

Wow!! How do I start this....
We all knew this weekend was going to be special but, I believe what happened at Maple Grove Raceway this past weekend was simply, if not one of the best .90 races ever. What started as a simple phone conversation and a crazy idea between Jeff Stricker and myself to throw together one of the biggest 8.90 events on the east coast to honor our good friend & family member Dave Stine slowly grew legs and simply turned into one of the best drag races with so much emotion i think ANY of us have ever been too. From Dave’s best friend Thomas Stalba going through 7 tough rounds of SC to take home the big $10,000 prize and then turn the car around and come back up the track to celebrate with friends and family was something that I’ve never seen before (FYI, he told me if he won he was doing it so it was alerted). Then One of my best buds Jeff Taylor takes home the victory in TS which is the first since he lost his Mom. Lots of tears and plenty of emotion in both winners circles over the weekend.
No matter what happens a series or organization is not strong without people surrounding you and helping out. To the Maple Grove staff, Betsy Schlouch Witmer, Sarah Gingrich, Kelly Muenster, Billy Kleinspehn, Matt Manley, Robert Robb, Rich Orth, Lori Anne, Bill Buchanan, Robin Putt...THANK YOU!!! When you throw a proposal together in the off season to have .90 cars and Top Dragster and Sportsman, it’s sometimes tough to give that to a track because let’s be honest, we don’t draw spectators.
To the NHRA D1 staff that came to help over the weekend, a HUGE thank you!! Jared Artus, Steven Rhoads, William Holmes, Larry Wiggins Jr. , Diane Gulgun Kubicke, David Smith, Phil Hutchinson, even Dave Mohn stopped by looking like he was going to the beach and Danny Pomponio who helped answer some of my questions on the phone Friday. You guys all rock and I don’t think get enough credit for what you do on a regular basis with standing in the heat and dealing with scraping rubber and cleaning up spills all weekend long while we run back to our AC motorhomes.
To all the racers who made this event what it was, you can draw things up on paper, promote the heck out of it but, without the racers showing up and supporting it, it’s just nothing! 232 on Saturday and a little under 200 on Sunday for a record car count for the series! THANK YOU and I hope you all had fun!!
Lastly but, definitely not least it my team! Dana Leone absolutely rocked it doing money this weekend in between watching Dave kick some butt in his SST debut. Phillip Judd who helped Dana out on Saturday along with pairing up cars, I know you wanted to be racing but, thanks man and at least you wore the right hockey team hat!! To all the sponsors who made this all possible, Roadrunner Race Fuels, VP Race Fuels, W&T Pipeline Consultants, P&L Garage, AA Auto Salvage and everyone else that did a special award....THANK YOU!!
I apologize if I missed anyone in this post but, just let it be known I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the support!! Remember as a series we still have some races coming up so go over and look at the Mid Atlantic .90 site!! I think I can say, WE WILL HAVE A 2nd ANNUAL DAVE STINE MEMORIAL Race in 2022!!!
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #13
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

Ok the race is over and you have some down time between races, what do you do? Go out and explore the area. Like I said we've been coming to MG for years and like everyone never had time to look around well we finally got that chance. I knew there were some covered bridges in the area so that was the plan. The weather yesterday started a little to cool and cloudy for me but by midday it was looking good so off we went. Following the phone GPS we set off looking for Weaver's Mill covered bridge this bridge was built in 1878 and is still in service. How cool is that.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/8fJPeBr.jpg?1[/immg]

You can see some knucklehead did a burnout in a 143 year old covered bridge. Grrrr

Last edited by Robbie Welch; 05-26-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #14
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

The second bridge is Pool Forge covered bridge. This bridge was built in 1859 and can still be crossed but it's set up as a tourist attraction.

These are some of the building at the Pool Forge bridge. Just love these stone buildings.

Now this is a tree.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #15
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

I'm not sure what this use to be. Maybe what's left of a building that used water to work IDK.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #16
Dave Bergfeldt

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks for the tour Robbie! Magnificent photos! Living in NJ I've seen a lot but not all I want to see! When my coach is up an running ( hopefully Epping National event) I plan to do some touring on way to Lebanon Valley Divisional! See ya Thur!
Old 05-26-2021, 06:17 PM   #17
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

No problem Dave hope everyone enjoys them. Dave I encourage everyone that's able to check out the local areas we go to. You never know what's right down the road Today's adventure ride some back roads and go see the Haines Shoe House. We go by it every year coming and going so I want to see it up close. I looked it up on the web and it said opens at 11am cool so off we go. Well wouldn't you know it's close and doesn't start opening on Wednesday until next week. Oh well I got as close as I could and we saw some unbelievable home's on are ride. Also when we got back to the track MG lives up to its reputation raining. We are at Maple Grove.

Last edited by Robbie Welch; 05-26-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #18
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

Well we made through the first batch of rain ok but there's more heading this way in an hour or so.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #19
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

We've been going past this sign for years and got to check it out it's Jonna's furnace. I bet in it's day this was an important place making iron and steel

Old 05-27-2021, 10:03 AM   #20
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts

Just want to say a big Thanks to Robbie for doing the live from for the Dave Stine Race. I hope everyone had a good time and enjoyed them selves. For thos who missed it check out the article Johnny D did for Competition Plus

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...emorial-race-0
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote