HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Terrance Smith

Default History of MPR's personal 86 Mustang SS/F Car

I was over at my buddy's house persusing thru some old Mustang and Fast Ford mags and found a article on a brand new 86 Mustang that Mike Pustlney built for himself back in 86. The car was immaculate for the day, hell it looks as good as anything I have seen in Super Stock now. This was a pre GT class car running 324HP 351 Cleveland with a 5 speed Doug Nash Trans that ran 9.90's in SS/G and 10.0's in F. Does anyone have any photos of this car or has anyone ever seen it in competition? I wonder if someone has the car, it was a real nice looking peice.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Bob Rice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: History of MPR's personal 86 Mustang SS/F Car

Smitty,
Do you remember which magazine, year and month? I'd like to see that article. By the way, did you ever get a copy of the NHRA today show with Vince Holmes' shop that you were looking for?
Bob Rice
Bob Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Terrance Smith

Bob,

I never have recevied a copy of that and would love to have one if you could produce it or know where I could get it. As for the article on the MPR Mustang, the next time I am over at my friends I will borrow it and make copies and try to email them to you. It was a very good issue, as it featured the Indy race and the Fords were Kicking *** in class in Stock that year. My friend John Douglas here in Florida won class in H/S that year with his 72 Mustang.

Smitty
Old 01-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Rich Wallin

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Article in Super ford, written by Neil Van Oppre, I have it, if you cannot post let me know, I will dig it up, this car is currently a bracket car in western michigan, this was a ford pilot production car, probably 1985, converted to a Saleen, top notch car even by todays standards,
Rich Wallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Rich Wallin

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Correction Fast fords and mustangs Magazine
Rich Wallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Terrance Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Wallin View Post
Article in Super ford, written by Neil Van Oppre, I have it, if you cannot post let me know, I will dig it up, this car is currently a bracket car in western michigan, this was a ford pilot production car, probably 1985, converted to a Saleen, top notch car even by todays standards,
Wow,

Someone has a really nice bracket car, that was a damn nice peice. It was actually a 1986 GT with a sunroff, beautiful sky blue car with the Cragar Super Slot Wheels on it.

Smitty
Old 01-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
Mark Tallent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: History of MPR's personal 86 Mustang SS/F Car

Someone please inform me on how the SS cars were classified before GT, It seems this car raced in SS/F with a cleveland motor in a Late model mustang?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #8
Just Observing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the beginning of GT cars they were only for auto's. If you see any of the pictures of the original GT cars they were classifed as SS/GTA, SS/GTB, etc. The sticks ran with the traditional cars. Larry Prichett, Mike Thomas, Mike Pustelny, & others dominated. Eventually NHRA came to there senses and made GT stick classes.

That is why when Mr. Butler & others bring up conslidating SS cars with Gt cars people protest so much. It was already tried and the newer GT style cars killed the traditional combos!
Just Observing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #9
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Observing View Post
In the beginning of GT cars they were only for auto's. If you see any of the pictures of the original GT cars they were classifed as SS/GTA, SS/GTB, etc. The sticks ran with the traditional cars. Larry Prichett, Mike Thomas, Mike Pustelny, & others dominated. Eventually NHRA came to there senses and made GT stick classes.

That is why when Mr. Butler & others bring up conslidating SS cars with Gt cars people protest so much. It was already tried and the newer GT style cars killed the traditional combos!

Just Observing is correct.

GT class in started in 1984. The cars were automatic only. SS/GTA 9.00 to SS/GTH 12.50 or more. 1985 saw SS/GTA move to 8.00 through SS/GTL 13.50 or more, still automatic only. In 1986-87, manual transmission GT cars were allowed but they competed in regular S/S classes E through J. 1988-89 saw GT manual transmission cars expand running in regular S/S classes E through M. Finally in 1990 the manual transmission GT cars were given their own classes.

Mike Pustelney's Mustang was raced as a 1988 Saleen in SS/F. And it ran great. I got to measure the engine a lot during Mike's many trips to the teardown barn.

Travis

(Disclaimer: This info came from my collection of NHRA rulebooks. Opinions expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions.)
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
rx dealer

Liked 53 Times in 13 Posts

MPR's work is second to none and more important is mike's advice on what parts to use and what works and does not work...happy new year to mike & kathleen...luke awdish
rx dealer is offline   Reply With Quote