HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Intermittent no start condition

You mentioned fuel pressure....Does it give you 45psi when it cranks? Does it fall off? To bleed off that quickly upon shut off doesn't seem right to me. You also need to have 40psi minimum with the engine running to effectively fire the injector. Less than that and it can create problems. If we can get Ed Wright to chime in, he has a good deal of knowledge on these engines. Much more than me I suspect. One thing I failed to mention in my last post, is to check your grounds and wiring going to and from your crank trigger/ICM and coil, to include the weather connectors. If there is problems in either of these two circuits of wiring (bad ground or short while cranking), it can create a problem in having enough voltage to fire the engine off or a weak signal. I fought this condition for three weeks before stumbling across my problem.
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #12
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

If you key on the DFI controller it should cycle the fuel pump for a couple of seconds then turn off until it cranks sees engine rpm above a certain rpm. If fuel pressure doesn't build up enough and you crank too soon, it might not build enough fuel pressure to run. I used an Accel conversion pressure regulator on my LT1. It used to hold full pressure for 30 mins or more after shutdown. You either have a leaking regulator or dirty fuel injectors that are leaking down. Also is your Opti-spark still hooked up ? There should be a connector in the Opti-spark that picks up the signal for timing the fueling. Depends on how your DFI is configured. Might want to check the connectors and wires. Does your Opti-spark have the ventilation system installed ? The later Opti-sparks had a vent system to prevent moisture from building up and corroding the components inside.
ss3011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #13
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Get a spark tester. It looks like a spark plug with a clip on the side (get the one that looks like a spark plug not the cheap plastic adjustable one if possible you will now what I mean when you see it). Unplug the coil wire and put the clip on your coil terminal and plug the coil wire on the spark tester like you would a spark plug wire. So that the spark tester is inline between the coil and the coil wire. While your at it get a noid light too. If you are not familiar with what a noid light is is plugs into the harness connector that plugs onto the injector. You can buy both of these tools at any auto parts store for probably twenty bucks or less. Then try to start the car until it does not want to start. You will know right away when you are trying to start it if it has spark because you will hear the spark tester snapping. If you have spark and it wont start quickly unhook a injector harness from a injector and plug in the noid light and crank it over. It should flash when cranking. This will allow you to figure out weather it is a injector pulse, spark or both problem. I dont have Accell system I use Holley, FAST and GM stuff on my cars. Does the Accell system use the OPTI for a crank signal or do you have a crank trigger?
Edit I just re read your posts so I know know it has a crank trigger. So See if one of the above is acting up (no injector pulse or no spark). Could be alot of things but we can figure out alot from knowing the results of the above tests. IE if its just no injector pulse or just no spark could be some things. IF it does not have spark and injector pulse it narrows it down some. Let me know what you come up with and I would be happy to try and help.

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 09-17-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
John Nechiporchik

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Rob, I will get a spark tester and noid light tonight and run the tests. I'll post results.

Thanks for the tips. Testing these systems is a lot better than starting to throw money at parts.
John Nechiporchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
John Nechiporchik

Steve and SS 3011
Sunday when the engine was running, the fuel pressure was rock steady at 45psi.

Also, the set up has a crank trigger and I have no knowledge as to the questions SS raised on the signal source and timing of signal.
I'm hoping the problem lies in the coil, regulator or perhaps crank trigger as these are relatively easy (but not cheap) fixes. The tests Rob suggested will provide some direction. If this is an ECU based issue.....that's a whole different scenario!!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I may be wrong but I seem to recall the digital 7's having an LED on them that when blinking during cranking indicate it's seeing a trigger (crank sensor input), you may want to read the instruction manual on that. If it's in fact the case and you're seeing it blink, that would indicate to me that the triggering is working correctly. I'm not familiar with your system but most merely piggyback off the MSD for RPM (trigger) events which it needs to operate. Would be a quick way of determining what side to look at spark or fuel. Joe
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
John Nechiporchik

Thanks. I'll check out the MSD instructions.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Yeah quick search looks like it does have the LED, hopefully it's in a position that you can see it. Without the crank input I'd imagine you will have neither spark or fuel activity. As SS3011 stated your set up MAY require a cam sync input to operate again not knowing your system it is merely a guess,any way of finding out how it's set up? Do you know who installed and set up the system, that would answer alot of questions. Again IMO I'd start by verifying the LED is blinking first.Good luck. Joe

Last edited by buzzinhalfdozen; 09-17-2013 at 10:28 AM.
buzzinhalfdozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I ran my LT-1 with an Accel gen VII and a crank trigger.

I used an MSD 7al2 until it failed and than an MSD Digital 6

I did not send the crank trigger into the Accel ECU..

I ran it just like any std non efi engine. Timing was locked and set at the trigger.

I felt since I was new at this ....it was simpler and it was...

I gutted a stock distributer and added an MSD cap and rotor...

So my fuel pump and ignition were basically outside of the ECU...

The injectors of course have to run for the engine to start...

The tests Rob said to do should reveal the problem.....but you have to get it to NOT start first....

A cam sync sensor as I recall was only needed if your were running your EFI as a sequential firing order.....

P.S. I could not get my car to even start the first time I tried......wiring issue. ECU to MSD....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 09-17-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
John Nechiporchik

Spoke with the previous owner/builder.
The Accell Calmap only controls the fuel map. The other functions(timing, rev limiters etc) are managed thru the MSD box. Rich, this appears to be similiar to your set-up.

I wiil get a spark tester and noid light tonight and perform the tests that Rob indicated.
Is there a universal noid light or do I need to buy the kit that has injector brand specific lights? I believe my injectors are Bosch.