HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
Dean Oliver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Single channel O2

Racepak gets my vote too. I just have a single O2, but I have bungs in both collectors so I can move the sensor if I want. Call Greg Kelley at Innovate Motorsports at 609-265-2110. He has very good prices and most of all has great customer service. Very helpful if you need someone to walk you through any of the installation.

Dean
Dean Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg johnson View Post
These units will work whether the car is "carburetor or injected"?? Dont' laugh!
No laughing here, I asked the same question once. An AFR meter does not care what is metering the fuel. It measures an air to fuel ratio in the spent exhaust gases. Shoot for somewhere between 12.5 and 13.0. I use an AEM wideband gauge and tuning is now very easy.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
Danny Ashley

Liked 91 Times in 23 Posts

Racepak too. Never had a customer regret going with them. That's what I'm putting on my new Stocker. Phil Mandella told me you still tune by your time slip, the racepak just tells you which direction to go. I have racers call and ask what number to look for and I tell them there's no magic number for everyone. I have customers that range from 12.8 to 13.6 each with fast cars. When you get a wide band Dan, you'll need to go to a test session and work on calibrating your Q-Jet to run the fastest and that will be your "Sweet Spot". Then when you get in different weather conditions your wide band will tell you if you need to lean or fatten it up. One of my friends and Super Stock customers has a Racepak and went testing Saturday with a carburetor that was completely different than the Edelbrock 1901 he usually runs. His car likes mid 13"s on the O2's. He guessed at the primary and secondary jetting and made his first pass. He could feel the car wasn't right in high gear. When he came back and down-loaded the run, the O2's were 15 in high gear. As Phil said, the Racepak told him which direction to go. I feel that a Racepak is one of the best investments a racer can put in his car. Takes a lot of guess work out of it and quickens the learning curve.
Danny Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
vic guilmino

Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts

i have the innovation lm1
got it from sal
push button in staging lanes push button at scales
very easy to use and to hook up
help my car
Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #15
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Racepak by far the best value for the money.
Very easy to use .
They recomend having the sensor in the primary about 12" from the port for optimum performance, but I've tried both the primary and the collector for reading and found similar results, the primary readings are much easier to read as there is no dilution from outside o2.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Richard Grant

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

I use the Altronics O2 Alert. It works great also.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #17
MOTORSPORTS Innovations

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts

I have sold thousands of the Innovate O2's in their various models (LM-1, LM-2, LC-1) and as much as I like them, I would recommend a Racepak Sportsman with a single O2.

The reasons are:

1. For any class with qualifying/limited runs you don't have time to mess with glitchy stuff and the RP hardware and software are rock solid. 16 volts can be a problem with some of the other brands as well.

2. If you have a carb/fuel system that's questionable you have to identify the exact spots it's bad (say during / after a wheelstand or at the shift) and the hand held units with the replay on the screen don't give you enough resolution. You have to download to a laptop and look at a graph that is based on a good sample rate. Likewise, if the problem is NOT the fuel system you want to rule that out quickly and with confidence.

3. So if you are going to get involved with the laptop RP has great support of the Windows 7, Vista and of course XP. Their kits come with the drivers for the USB converter and all the laptop accessories you need.

Dan or anyone else call/email me anytime with O2 or data logging questions. I'm a sponsor of the East Coast Stock/Superstock association and race my own junk every week (brackets / Top Dragster) with a million sensors into the Racepak.

Greg Kelley 609-265-2110

MOTORSPORTS Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
Charles Rainey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fellows. I have worked with just about every unit out there. Most of you are quoting facts about something you have never run a test on. I welded up a header with 7 bungs so that I could run a test one against the other. I also purchased a test canister for testing against a known percentage. Do not make assumptions about how good a unit you use unless you know how it responds under different conditions and with which sensor it uses. I do not sale any of the units so mine was purely for testing. I was amazed At how different many of the units perform. First you better know what bit resolution (10 bit 12 bit 14 bit 16 bit or what). What is the response time. Does it data log or not? Does it take a snap shot or record every data point or take 5 counts and divide or what? What happens to the unit as the sensor starts getting Use time. All sensor slow down as they get run time, some as much as 50% or MORE. How well does it calibrate. Ease of setup should play very little part in it as you will only set it up one time. I am trying a new unit out of Canada now. Looks very promising. What some of these company did one year ago means nothing as many have made firmware changes as well as product changes. I saw above where one guy said how bad Innovate was. Their LM2 now is totally different than their LM1 and the LC1. FAST has made changes. You must review what they have now, not what they had one year ago. O2 sensors is a very fast evolving product market. All have problems or had problems. Separate the two. Purchase one time but know what you are getting and do mot be surprised that something better comes out right after you purchase it (just like Wide Screen TV's).
Hey yall, I sorry, got on a tangent. But electronics I love
charles
Charles Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might look into 14POINT7. One readout can monitor AFR, EGT, boost, fuel pressure, oil pressure and a few other things. Not to expensive which is a big plus for me.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
Charles Rainey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Harry 6674---That is the unit from Canada that I am testing now. I have one of every sensor he has. So far every thing looks great. I speak with Alan most every day as I try the products. He is great to work with. If you all want to know the results as I test them, let me know. I have a oscilloscope hooked to the units now with dataloggers . Am trying old sensor vs new sensors now on the Dyno
Charles Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote