Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #111
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts
Default Re: Crank Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStock 1890 View Post
Maybe I can talk about my experience with switching from a billet MSD optispark to a crank trigger while on the dyno. This may not be exactly what you are looking for but since you guys are throwing daggers back and forth maybe something about the topic would be helpful.

I was chasing a top end miss and changed all kinds of crap and it was still there. I had a new crank trigger in the box so I decided to see if it would help clear up the miss. I never even unstrapped the car from the dyno. Got everthing together and set the timing where it was in about an hour and was ready for a pull. There were no other changes. Guess what. I still had the miss. Still scratching my head I pulled up the data. From 4500 to 7400 I picked up 10-14 hp on a stocker except at the points of the miss. I rechecked the timing to make sure I did not find out something by accident. Still where it was with the optispark. Still had the miss but got a little more power. Cooled it down and did it over and same result.
Valve spring causing the miss?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #112
SuperStock 1890

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nope on the valve springs. The BS3 is sensitive to grounds and I ran a wire from the ignition box to the same spot on the back battery where the BS3 was grounded. Miss all gone after that.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #113
Capri

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Cool Re: Crank Trigger

SBF crank trigger vs locked Dist at 9000rpm was worth more power. It keeps the timing at 1 spot better. Especially when using a timing belt.

At least that what we found out in the "bracket racing" section.

I now understand Ed so much better. Yesterday he couldnt spell engineer and today he is one.
Capri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #114
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

If you are talking about me, I have known all along how to spell it. Just don't call me one. LOL

Edit: I think some took what I said about 1320 being an engineer wrong. I work with engineers in my business all the time. I do like to kid a couple of them about like being like Sheldon on Big Bang Therory. They aren't , but I tell them they are. Sorry if I offended anybody.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 09-11-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #115
SmBlkFord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A crank trigger can be anywhere from 5-7 hp maybe more maybe less, hp jumps all over the place on its way up to peak rpm without a trigger , its pretty ugly , have seen side by side tests on an engine dyno and I'm sure that anybody who operates an engine dyno will say the same thing .
SmBlkFord is offline   Reply With Quote