Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #11
Dave Gantz

Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Default Re: Locking 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I put one on mine. An adjustable one. Several years ago. Fronts don’t slide so easily now.
I should have said, "adjustable". Thanks Ed.
I could two foot that car after chasing someone, leaving the throttle wide open and modulating the cars speed with the brake to keep it a fender ahead. (If I didn't think I'd breakout.) Never locked the wheels. -Oh, presuming I could catch the other car. lol
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #12
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gantz View Post
I should have said, "adjustable". Thanks Ed.
I could two foot that car after chasing someone, leaving the throttle wide open and modulating the cars speed with the brake to keep it a fender ahead. (If I didn't think I'd breakout.) Never locked the wheels. -Oh, presuming I could catch the other car. lol
I've had a few inadvertent lock-ups while doing exactly that. I think after a coupe pumps the brakes get hot and extremely grabby.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:14 AM   #13
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
I've had a few inadvertent lock-ups while doing exactly that. I think after a coupe pumps the brakes get hot and extremely grabby.
When my buddy drives my car he tends to lock them up once in awhile. He is used to dragging the brakes in his car and stab them when he needs to, his stock brakes don't lock up. I have four wheel disc in the same type of car and same ET, but I don't drag them the same way and have never locked them up.

So yes, different driving styles can lead to different results with the same car!
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

There is a front tire in production that does not smoke when slid.
Jeff Stout is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Personally I don't race that way. I dial my car what I think it will run and do my best to have a better light and package than the other driver. If you are good on the bulb and run close to your dial you will win rounds. I can say that I have had very few races where the other guy hammered the brakes on me and I have been doing this a good while. I keep track of the other racers Q times and see how their dial in compares to their Q time and the weather conditions at the time of the round. Then I plan my strategy for the round. I don't find many sandbagging. Might be different in Stock eliminator
Old 12-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
Dave Gantz

Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
Personally I don't race that way. I dial my car what I think it will run and do my best to have a better light and package than the other driver. If you are good on the bulb and run close to your dial you will win rounds. I can say that I have had very few races where the other guy hammered the brakes on me and I have been doing this a good while. I keep track of the other racers Q times and see how their dial in compares to their Q time and the weather conditions at the time of the round. Then I plan my strategy for the round. I don't find many sandbagging. Might be different in Stock eliminator
I certainly could have been lucky that I didn't lock them. They were drums, if that matters.
We (my partner and I) always dialed 1 or 2 faster than we thought it would go, and depend on a good light and the car's ability to run the number. I had to decide if I would breakout or not, depending on how good I thought my light was.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts

Maybe those who "lock em up" should do just that in testing to prevent smoking the tires. I know in my car i can slam the brakes on at the finish line and my brakes never lock up. I guess i have them adjusted perfectly, I don't know. But if others who do this regularly would test the way they race, maybe they could prevent locking em up also??
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #18
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,587 Times in 1,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmracing View Post
When my buddy drives my car he tends to lock them up once in awhile. He is used to dragging the brakes in his car and stab them when he needs to, his stock brakes don't lock up. I have four wheel disc in the same type of car and same ET, but I don't drag them the same way and have never locked them up.

So yes, different driving styles can lead to different results with the same car!
That’s a very interesting observation right there. Statistics show that a racer that actually owns the car and pays the bills is LESS likely to lock up the brakes at the stripe. I wonder why ......??
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #19
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
Maybe those who "lock em up" should do just that in testing to prevent smoking the tires. I know in my car i can slam the brakes on at the finish line and my brakes never lock up. I guess i have them adjusted perfectly, I don't know. But if others who do this regularly would test the way they race, maybe they could prevent locking em up also??
I'm with Bryan on this subject.... I've been know to hit the brakes at the stripe fairly regularly.. sometimes pretty hard... I can even time the "stab" to take the beam with the nose instead of the tire if I feel that will get me a round (has cost me a few).. but I CAN'T get them to lock.. 4 wheel discs.. maybe people need to put some effort into setting there car up and testing it in a non-elimination setting so they know what it will do when they make certain actions.. An educated driver is a safe driver..

I've driven MANY cars over the years and some could lock the tires... some easier than others, but most if I had driven them long enough could be controlled to where I either couldn't lock em up.. or I knew what it would do with a sharp stab and had no issues driving through it. When people lose control it's because they stab the brake.. it slides... they panic and push harder and have no control of said car because they had no expectation of the reaction to their action.. they couldn't plan ahead..

Obviously at the speeds we run things will happen, and we call them accidents for a reason.. but if you take some time to learn your cars reactions to various driver inputs MANY "loss of control" situations could be avoided..

just my opinion...

Brad
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #20
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
That’s a very interesting observation right there. Statistics show that a racer that actually owns the car and pays the bills is LESS likely to lock up the brakes at the stripe. I wonder why ......??
That could be true, but he stood on the pedal once at the finish line like I do during a time shot just to see what the car would do, it did not lock the brakes up. It is only when you drag them from the 1000ft on then stab them that it will lock them up.

We have both killed 12+ mph from a 135ish pass and I would not lock them up but he could on occasion.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked