HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Lvd

I consider LVD my home track these days & I happen to race there a lot other than Div & Opens. I usually footbrake there during non event weeks if my schedule allows it.
The reason for this post is its a shame that this track has such a bad rap against it.
These days the starting line is exceptional both lanes 60 almost identically, they have a good staff manning the lanes. I wont discuss the Portatree timing system but I can say it works more than it doesnt. I wish they would keep the time ticket ink filled better but...
It just seems that every time we go up there for a d1 open or pts race , it rains , the water table comes up and we waste 1/2 the day waiting for a safe track. On saturday nites they run a dirt track adjacent to the 1/4 mile track. 99% of the times we are Not running when they run. I can tell you from personel experience that it can be quite a ride getting down it at that time.
I guess from a business standpoint, the track generates big $$ from its dirt track as we tend to get tossed aside in favor of the dirt track.
With this being said, I cant believe the NHRA or the track would deliberately put us in harms way to save some $$ or get an event in. I have to believe this or I wouldnt allow myself to race these events.
Those who stayed around at LVD for the rounds after the dirt track started witnessed a few scary moments. Shame it takes a "moment" for someone to react and stop the racing..

gary federico
1814 sst
Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
krugracing12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Lvd

Gary,
They missed the first "moment" when Gary Treager went sideways along side of you in the semi's. I was standing at the starting line and I am thankful he saved it. It looked like you had your hands full too, the left lane being closest to the source of the wet flying clay probably got worse at a quicker rate. The circle track had been running awhile and they had people to "monitor" the dust on the top end. I have no idea how hard it would be to see a fine layer of wet, shiny clay dust on the shiny racing surface in the setting sun. But when a regular racer who you just watched go for the ride of his life in a car that has gone straight as a string every pass of every weekend for several years tells you its a "Skating Rink" and is unsafe, maybe they should take notice.There is a measure of trust that we as racers put in to the hands of track and NHRA Officials to make the SAFE and right call every time. The water situation was dealt with professionally and properly and I applaud the prolonged efforts of the LV and NHRA staff to give us a safe surface to race on. To run the race into the dust with the next day available to finish speaks for itself. I was also fortunate to be pitted in the main parking lot, and still in the race when they opened the lot to spectator parking it got ugly very quickly with some of the people adamant that they were "told to park here" after several heated exchanges with some of these types, I loaded and locked my trailer and moved my car to the other side of the fence, oddly enough my coil wire fell off on the launch of the next pass. I have not had that happen once since I started in 1979. The coil wire "detent" was very much intact when I put it back on. As a racer that lives 15 miles from LV I can assure you I will not race a NHRA Open or any other saturday race there again. I am not interested in arguing or "badmouthing" anyone, unless safety and doing the "RIGHT THING"is the main concern i'll just stay home, or race at a place that is.

Bill Krug
Krug Racing
Albany NY
krugracing12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
SST1447

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Lvd

GARY.... i can tell from watching you its not to much fun running while the dirt track is going... did u ever end up checking your pants after that final?
SST1447 is offline   Reply With Quote