HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
CPOlesen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face BBC Headers

67 camaro rs. Installing a 454 blk with dart pro-1 heads. I have energy suspension poly motor mounts # 1114 also hooker super comp 2" header # 2205. Put motor in with sbc frame stands headears hit pwr steering box. I was told a manual steer box was narrower,I bought a s-10 box reistall. same problem headers hit box. Talked to hooker tech says headers are correct with big block stands. bought new BB stands reinstall. A little better but still hits and the after market stands don't line up correctly. I would have to wallow out the hole on the passenger side and still dent headers and buy a new trans cross member to make work. I have put the SBC stands back in cause if I have to dent the headers I might as well use the stands I don't have to wallow out. I have to buy new rag joint to mate the s-10 cause the spline is diff. I'm at a stand still there must be 1000's of 454 swapped camaro's out there. What is the combination that will work for the headers I have if any or should I try tri-Y or something else. I'm LOST...
CPOlesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
camarolover67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: BBC Headers

Hi, I have a 67 RS Camaro that I installed a 454 motor in. I had a similar problem when I changed to Edelbrock RPM heads. On mine the right side hit on the control arm bolts so I just cut them to clear. I am using the 67 big block frame mounts with Moroso # 62530 steel motor mounts. I have the Hooker Super Comp headers with 2 1/8 tubes. If you want the motor to sit lower use the frame mounts for 69 big block Camaro. But I have a manual steering box. Also the part # on your frame mounts should be 3912597(L) and 3912598(R) for a 67 BB Camaro. Hope this info helps.
camarolover67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
camarolover67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html, check this site for a third generation gearbox swap.http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm, check this site for mount measurements

Last edited by camarolover67; 05-11-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
camarolover67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only reason I can think of is the position of the exhaust ports on your heads. Check with Dart to see if any difference from stock heads.

Last edited by camarolover67; 05-11-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
CPOlesen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys camarolover. Ive researched pozzi's site already and I had a buddy suggest the same thing about the exhaust ports, but I haven't done anything about it. The frame stand part #s are what I have on the car. I'm waiting on the rag joint from Rick's Camaros for my manual box then i'm going to dent the headers.
CPOlesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
rayfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you sure you have big block motor mounts?
rayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
wvdragracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I Have a Set of PRO 1 Dart Heads for BBC they do have a .300 raised Exhaust port. This could be contributing to your clearance/ fitting issues.
wvdragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Afriend of mine has a 68 with stock heads nad the smae headers as you and they didn't hit the manual box. He put a power box on it and they hit. He had to dent the header.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 95 Posts

I've never seen hookers go on anything and not have to be dented. I got tired of the tube on the drivers side being so low and finally gave up and had a set made that brings all the exhaust pipes up inside the frame. All and all, it doesn't cost that much more and you get a set made for your fit.