HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
ET6201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile New To The Forum

Hi Folks,

I'm also new to the forum, though not new to bracket racing. My first trip down the 1/4 mile was a white-knuckled, knee-knocking ride. This was after a rain delay, and the strip was still damp. I ran a less than impressive tire-spinning 19 second time in my 68 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S Fastback 4-speed car but, I was hooked.

Shortly thereafter, I was able to get it to run as quick as 14.0 and over the next few years, continued to improve the performance. Eventually, with the expert machinework of Gaines Markely (RIP) and L.D. 'Dennis' Smythe, I was able to get it to run as quick as 11.34 @ 118. You might think that a stick would be inconsistent but I found that not to be the case. My driving still mostly sucks (I think I've found just about every way to lose) but I started to win a round now and then!

Due to clutch-itis and other concerns, I haven't been to the strip in several years. I hope to fix that before I die.

Bryan (aka 'By-Run')
NHRA ET 6201

"Be a good sport at the drags...
help your competitor O-U-T!"
ET6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: New To The Forum

I went racing 3 days after I turned 16, will be 39 in a couple of weeks and been hooked since that day, I have tried some other stuff too but I always come back to the dragstrip. Maybe we should compare notes as I have found a few new ways to lose this year. I have had 1 good race and pretty much sucked at the rest. I ended up staying home this weekend cause I did not want to embarrass my self again this weekend. I told my wife if I liked my car I would let somebody else drive it for a while at least the car would go some rounds and wouldnt be tortured by me. I have learned alot on here there are alot of extremely smart guys here unlike some of the boards where its just alot of nonsense. Its my favorite board.
Rob
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
ET6201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
I went racing 3 days after I turned 16, will be 39 in a couple of weeks and been hooked since that day, I have tried some other stuff too but I always come back to the dragstrip. Maybe we should compare notes as I have found a few new ways to lose this year. I have had 1 good race and pretty much sucked at the rest. I ended up staying home this weekend cause I did not want to embarrass my self again this weekend. I told my wife if I liked my car I would let somebody else drive it for a while at least the car would go some rounds and wouldnt be tortured by me. I have learned alot on here there are alot of extremely smart guys here unlike some of the boards where its just alot of nonsense. Its my favorite board.
Rob
Hi Rob,

I once found myself staged deeper than I wanted, and backed up. Unfortunately, the rules state that the last staging motion must be forward. I was DQ-d. The other more common ways I've found to lose are of course, redlighting, taking the stripe and breaking out (by a huge margin), dialing quicker than the car will run (even a stellar light might not have saved me), and breaking:

A buddy was having some issues and I offered to let him try my 50cc secondary accelerator pump for his last time trial pass (I'd already had mine). Afterward, we swapped it back onto my carb. Unfortunately, in the process of replacing the fuel bowl screws, I pushed a tiny sliver of the paper screw gasket into the fuel bowl. When I launched (cutting a perfect light), the sliver of gasket got sucked into one of the jets, the car fell flat on its face... and I lost. I now use nylon washers!

You could let someone else drive your car but I'm sure that's not why you built it. To keep from being dejected and giving it up, I try to find something good about my day at the races.

I too have noticed this board has top-notch members. I've already picked up a few tips.

Bryan (aka "By-Run")

PS: I was given that nickname when I erroneously received two single runs at one race.

Last edited by ET6201; 06-21-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET6201 View Post
Hi Folks,

(I think I've found just about every way to lose) ]

I've been racing since the early 80's and found a new way to lose last month. You still have some learining to do, haha.

Welcome aboard.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
ET6201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
I've been racing since the early 80's and found a new way to lose last month. You still have some learining to do, haha.

Welcome aboard.
Thanks for the welcome. I believe my first pass was in the early 80s also (I've been away for a while). If I may ask, what new way to lose did you discover last month?

By-Run