HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #21
Mike Keener

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Old Mopar photos

Thanks Myron,

I feel fairly certain that the photo in one of the posts is Booth's old 69 Bee. It would be a serious coincidence if there were another green one like that around! If it is the real deal I would restore it back to the way it was raced right down to the very last decal and then head for Barrett-Jackson!

MK
Mike Keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #22
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Piatek View Post
Ed, It doesn't seem to be the same car. I believe his cars all had his name or "Billy the Kid" on them.
Here is a photo I found of his 'Demon:

http://www.prostockhemi.com/gallery2...?g2_itemId=198
I guess yor're right Myron.That paint job looks familiar
I just can't put a name to it.

Ed
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:03 PM   #23
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Speaking of Rossi's Challenger. I remember one year they put him right next to our B/SA car at Indy. As soon as he found out we were pitted next to him he packed up and moved. Tex and I took showers that morning so it could not have been BO.
I wonder why the abrubt move. LOL LOL
Old 12-31-2007, 07:09 PM   #24
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a question about the purple Cuda of Stewart Pomeroy near the end of the page. Can anyone verify the history and/or the future of that car from the time that picture must have been taken.

I have been told that was an original Hurst/Sox and Martin car, later owned by Pomeroy, then sold to someone in the Ocala, Fl. area.

The first drag race I attended was a bracket race at Gainesville in early 1980, and there was a man named Tom Shively running a Hemi Cuda there at the bracket race, and I was told this was the car.

I know the car that Shively had was sold to someone else in the area then sold to another person in south Fla. and I am told the car was destroyed when the throttle hung open on the car inside of a garage.

Can anyone verify this?
Old 12-31-2007, 07:48 PM   #25
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rice View Post
Danny,
A lot of those pictures came from one particular Yahoo group. It would have been nice if the gentleman would have posted the proper credit to the photographers. The information was supplied when the pictures were posted to the group.
Bob Rice
Bob,

Worse yet, many of these pictures came from people's personal collections that they've posted on the web for others to enjoy. I can tell you first hand that the ALL of the photos of the Motown / Mopar Missile, including the yellow car (small block duster), wire car, pictures of Don Carlton, pictures of my uncle racing, the Accel poster autographed by Joe Pappas and my uncle (I have a full-size framed poster hanging on my wall right next to me), and all the pictures of Nelson Des Champs came from the private collections of the above mentioned people, and Stewart Pomeroy, through the efforts of Stewart Pomeroy (heck, there's even a recent picture of Stewart Pomeroy, John Wehrly, Tom Coddington, and my uncle!)

Anyway, you can see a history of the Missile program here, which includes all of these pictures, that Mr. Pomeroy put together through many hours of hard work:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/...eroTests.shtml

I don't know if any of these guys will care or not, but they still should have been credited, or linked to, not posted on this person's website as their own. Interestingly enough, the owner of the site, Bob, also wrote a computer program called "Picture Poacher" to "easily extract images from various webpages and optionally save a copy locally for your own archives. The program came about as a result of my obsessive web picture collecting." Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earle Holt View Post
I love the days when most of the cars had a name painted on the side. I always loved the name "Motown Missle!" Great stuff.
I agree Earle. I was just saying that to somebody the other day as I was working on my nameless car. There was just something unique about all the cars having names. Since you like the Missile so much, here's one from my personal collection (thanks to Stewart Pomeroy for helping stitch the scan together):

http://oldfieldweb.net/70_Missile_Small.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pinkston View Post
I have a question about the purple Cuda of Stewart Pomeroy near the end of the page. Can anyone verify the history and/or the future of that car from the time that picture must have been taken.
Joe, I e-mailed Stewart with your question. I would expect that he'll post an answer here shortly (and if he doesn't, I'll post the answer for him.)

Last edited by Jason Oldfield; 12-31-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Jason Oldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #26
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pinkston View Post

I have been told that was an original Hurst/Sox and Martin car, later owned by Pomeroy, then sold to someone in the Ocala, Fl. area.

The first drag race I attended was a bracket race at Gainesville in early 1980, and there was a man named Tom Shively running a Hemi Cuda there at the bracket race, and I was told this was the car.

I know the car that Shively had was sold to someone else in the area then sold to another person in south Fla. and I am told the car was destroyed when the throttle hung open on the car inside of a garage.

Can anyone verify this?
It is the old Shively car.It was also owned by Glenn Warfel,and if I'm right,Tom bought it from Glen.It's a old Sox& Martin A/MP car... IIRC.Tom sold the car to the Welch Brothers and from what I heard,is being restored back to the Sox & Martin timeframe.I don't know about it being involved in an garage accident. I do know it got ladder bars and was re-painted I think in 1981 or 82,
Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #27
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Chris;

From what I have been told the car was purchased from Pomeroy by Caroll Fulford who lives in Ocala, and later Fulford sold it to Shively. Your version may be right though.

Thanks Jason for making the effort to give us some information on these old cars.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #28
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a couple of pics of a purple cuda who was at Bowling Green (late 70's or early 80"s), and it was a SS/GA car #5547. The window on the passenger side says "Mary Ann".

I took the pic because of the wild paint job.
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:46 PM   #29
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Joe,your version may be correct too.You know after 20-30 years the story changes and the memory bank can get foggy.

When we first started racing at Gainesville in 1975,Shively was running that 'Cuda with a 440.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:05 PM   #30
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: Old Mopar photos

Myron and Ed

That car looks an awful lot like Mevin Yowell's car. That was his paint style. It looks like the name has been taken off the door above the western scene. Maybe? Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote