HOME FORUM RULES SPONSORS CONTACT
     
   
   
Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2022, 09:18 AM   #721
rick winchester
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: cincinnati ohio
Posts: 176
Likes: 138
Liked 102 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Ken Shawver was driving a Olds cutlass when he won the Nationals , I think it is still owned By Greg Fulk from Ohio.
__________________
Rick Winchester Stk 3277
rick winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:10 AM   #722
oldskool
VIP Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 1,644
Likes: 222
Liked 706 Times in 346 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick winchester View Post
Ken Shawver was driving a Olds cutlass when he won the Nationals , I think it is still owned By Greg Fulk from Ohio.
Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the correct info.

I just ASSUMED that maybe he was driving the T-37, since I know he did race it, then later ran a '78 T/A for many years.

But, I realize that lots of guys drive more than one brand of drag car.

I discovered that long time Pontiac racer, Jack Mullins, did pretty good with an old, Olds, before he was famous for his big Pontiac wagon.

When you look up old race results, many times all you get is the driver's name. That makes it pretty tuff to know EXACTLY what they were driving at that particular race.

Another problem I've run into is with the 2nd gen Birds, especially '77 & '78 models. A '78 I'd mentioned turned out to be 403 Olds powered. And recently, a '77 that had been running Pontiac power for a long time was switched over to sbc power.

What's really tuff is figuring out what engine a GT SS car has. Just last year, I discovered a couple that had Pontiac power, which I was not aware of.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #723
TGould
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Beaufort,SC
Posts: 144
Likes: 10
Liked 24 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick winchester View Post
Ken Shawver was driving a Olds cutlass when he won the Nationals , I think it is still owned By Greg Fulk from Ohio.
That car was sold to Chip Johnson several years ago and is now owned by Daren-Poole Adams (Gump) and driven by Chip Johnson.
TGould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #724
oldskool
VIP Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 1,644
Likes: 222
Liked 706 Times in 346 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Factor Finder Info !

A guy with a '72 FF, sent me this Pontiac info. It is not what I was expecting.

MOST of the popular engines commonly used for racing were not mentioned.

I Emailed him some questions, like, did the book say that all engines not mentioned would use factory hp rating ?

And, were there any numbers for '66, '67, & '68 Pontiac engines ?

Do any of you guys have the hp factor info which NHRA published in the mid '70's.

Would also like to get the factors for the popular Pontiac engines which NHRA published around 1980.

That would have given NHRA a few years to evaluate the Pontiac combos that were running quick.

There MUST have been certain Pontiac combos which got hits. That's all I'm trying to find out.

(1) Which Pontiac combos got hit ?

(2) Exactly WHEN did they get hit ?

(3) What was the old factor & the new one ?

These seem like simple questions. But apparently the answers are EXTREMELY hard to get.

It sometimes seems that all this old info has just disappeared.

Or maybe it does exist, but it would take the right person having access to it, in order to publish it on a forum, or somewhere else on the net.

It's just a bit frustrating sometimes when so much info is available these days but some of this old info doesn't seem to exist.

So, one more time. Does anybody reading this have access to NHRA hp factors, which they published in any or all the years from '75-'80 ???

I you don't, do you know someone who does, that would be willing to look up some factors for me ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Factor Finder 72 .jpg
Views:	47
Size:	588.3 KB
ID:	61663  

Last edited by oldskool; 01-07-2022 at 10:46 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:56 PM   #725
Stan Weiss
Member
 
Stan Weiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Phila, PA
Posts: 460
Likes: 0
Liked 391 Times in 217 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Factor Finder Info !

A guy with a '72 FF, sent me this Pontiac info. It is not what I was expecting.

MOST of the popular engines commonly used for racing were not mentioned.

I Emailed him some questions, like, did the book say that all engines not mentioned would use factory hp rating ?

And, were there any numbers for '66, '67, & '68 Pontiac engines ?

Do any of you guys have the hp factor info which NHRA published in the mid '70's.

Would also like to get the factors for the popular Pontiac engines which NHRA published around 1980.

That would have given NHRA a few years to evaluate the Pontiac combos that were running quick.

There MUST have been certain Pontiac combos which got hits. That's all I'm trying to find out.

(1) Which Pontiac combos got hit ?

(2) Exactly WHEN did they get hit ?

(3) What was the old factor & the new one ?

These seem like simple questions. But apparently the answers are EXTREMELY hard to get.

It sometimes seems that all this old info has just disappeared.

Or maybe it does exist, but it would take the right person having access to it, in order to publish it on a forum, or somewhere else on the net.

It's just a bit frustrating sometimes when so much info is available these days but some of this old info doesn't seem to exist.

So, one more time. Does anybody reading this have access to NHRA hp factors, which they published in any or all the years from '75-'80 ???

I you don't, do you know someone who does, that would be willing to look up some factors for me ???

Can you post up what information he sent to you?


Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:17 AM   #726
oldskool
VIP Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 1,644
Likes: 222
Liked 706 Times in 346 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Can you post up what information he sent to you?


Stan
It's pictured in the attached thumbnail above. That's all he sent. I Emailed him back and asked some more questions. He said he'd look & see if there is anything else about Pontiac engines.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:46 AM   #727
oldskool
VIP Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 1,644
Likes: 222
Liked 706 Times in 346 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

OK, he turned the page & found this. At the top of the page, it's labeled Tempest. But the numbers, like 345 for example, are Firebird numbers.

So, I asked him to go back & see if maybe there is a page labeled Firebird. If so, maybe the A-body factors are listed there.

What he sent before was only for big Pontiacs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird Factors '72 FF .jpg
Views:	54
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	61667  

Last edited by oldskool; 01-08-2022 at 10:02 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #728
Stan Weiss
Member
 
Stan Weiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Phila, PA
Posts: 460
Likes: 0
Liked 391 Times in 217 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Thanks. I missed that first picture. But this second one is much more useful.


Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:21 AM   #729
Rat Patrol
Member
 
Rat Patrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 138
Likes: 51
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

OS - sorry to go in a tangent....but thought you’d like this..

65 Winters Jr Stock Elim
Runner up

Jerry Young - 61 Pontiac - 389cui/235hp 2V - Hunt & Young - (I/SA) (621)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8C2F28F-936B-4468-95C8-DE859A278CDE.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	61672  
Rat Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #730
oldskool
VIP Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 1,644
Likes: 222
Liked 706 Times in 346 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
OS - sorry to go in a tangent....but thought you’d like this..

65 Winters Jr Stock Elim
Runner up

Jerry Young - 61 Pontiac - 389cui/235hp 2V - Hunt & Young - (I/SA) (621)
Thanks ! Never seen that one. Another pic for my collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry Y. '65 Winters Jr. Stk RU .jpg
Views:	15
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	61688  

Last edited by oldskool; 01-12-2022 at 11:17 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright © Class Racer.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.