HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Turboglide 3-speeds in Stockers???

Food for thought, and a question:

For the model year 1960 (and others, but for the sake of this discussion, we'll just say "1960") Chevy V8s with automatic transmissions could be ordered with Powerglide (2-speeds forward) and Turboglide (3-speeds forward.)

A short explanation of the Turboglide concept and gear systems:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++
From "Wikipedia.org"

The Turboglide is a Chevrolet three-speed automatic transmission that made its debut as an optional transmission on Chevrolet V8 passenger cars for 1957. Turboglide cost about $50 more than Powerglide, and was available in all 1957-1961 V8 engine models except the Corvette.

OPERATION:

As the car starts from rest, the "Low" turbine, which has the greatest gear reduction ratio is relatively easy to bring up to match pump (engine) speed and the car starts from rest easily and accelerates quickly. While this occurs, the Intermediate turbine receives an ever increasing share of the energy from the pump, as the Low (1st gear) turbine moves faster and oil passes more freely through it. Eventually, the Low turbine matches pump speed, and the Low turbine freewheels on a one way 'sprag-clutch' much like on a bicycle. At this point the Intermediate (or, 2nd-gear) turbine is carrying the majority of the drive force, and some energy is being sent to the Direct ("high gear") turbine from the oil passing through the Intermediate turbine as it also begins to match pump speed. Eventually, the Intermediate turbine also matches pump speed, and the oil passes freely through Low and Intermediate turbines to drive the Direct turbine alone, in direct drive (1:1 ratio). Because of the overlapping power input in different ratios, there is no 'shift' or sequential gearing, rather there is a concurrent geared drive, in effect the car starts out in 1-2-3, eventually drops 1 to be in 2-3 and eventually drops 2 to be in 3 alone.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Turboglide transmissions contain a "first-gear" planetary unit with an approximate 2.5:1 ratio, and an Intermediate, or "second gear" planetary of approximately 1.5:1, with a 1:1 final ratio pulling the car at speeds too great for the 1st and 2nd gear planetaries to effectively drive the car.

There is no gear-shifting in a conventional band/clutch manner going on, but the effect is the same; three separate planetary gearsets are employed to accelerate the car from a stop.

Is there any legitimate reason that the option of this (Turboglide) 3-speed automatic transmission in 1960 Chevy V8s would not serve as an "OEM 3-speed automatic" transmission to allow any other Chevy 3-speed automatic transmission "swap" ( just as, say, 1971 Mopar 340 cars are allowed to use a smaler, lighter 904 Torqueflite instead of the original 727 transmission?

Or, is this already in practice, and I just haven't seen it?

Thanks foir any information!

Bill

Last edited by bill dedman; 05-14-2008 at 09:04 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Tony Janes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Turboglide 3-speeds in Stockers???

It would be legal in a 1960 Chevy or any other GM product with a turbo-glide. Be ready to order Pro-trans for your 60 Chevy
Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
76 RACER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was under the impression a turbo glide was offered starting in 58 with the 348 engine only.
76 RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

More info on the Turboglide......1957-1961
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboglide

Last edited by John Kelley; 05-15-2008 at 12:08 AM.
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Neat "find" Bill!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts
Unhappy Re: Turboglide 3-speeds in Stockers???

bill
turboglide was offered with the 348 only as was the 4 speed
348-250hp fits Q & R/sa... jump on in i cant wait to see then cc the head (piston & block )

however all cars were offered with a three speed overdrive trans
this trans is self contained inside the transmission case and provide the operator SIX DIFFERENT GEAR RATIOS TO LET THE CLUTCH OUT AND MOVE FORWARD.
therefore according to the RULEBOOK all 55-61 chevys SHOULD be allowed to use a six speed manual transmission... however that is not the interpretation of the technical department ????

jack mccarthy... t/s with a six speed
Old 05-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks, Bruce. I appreciate the kind words.

Jack,

I am a really "old" guy (12/20/'38) and was a tech guy at my local drag strip (Carlisle, Arkansas) classifying Stockers on a monthly basis, and eventually was given the Stock Car Classification Guide and was provided with all the NHRA Tech bulletins through the USPS on a weekly basis. Dale Ham asked me to serve as an "Area Tech Advisor" (an un-paid position) in about 1960, which I did for our local strips (Little Rock, and Carlisle) until I moved away in 1964.

I took that position VERY seriously, and paid a lot of attention to the "job", as it were.

I remember vividly, watching 1957 Chevrolet 283 V8s that came equipped qith Turboglides as they struggled to run the quarter-mile in a competitive fashion. That transmission eventually earned the moniker "TROUBLEGLIDE" since its reliability was not very good in the beginning.

I do remember that the '58 348-engine Turboglide cars, when equipped with a 4.56 rear gear and Atlas Bucrons, would run pretty quixk (mid- to high-14's at the time.)

I have to disagree with Jack, though; there were several Turboglide '57's in competition as OEM-equipped, though they usually eventually had manual transmissions swapped in for serious racing.

It would seem to me that '59-'61 small block cars running in Stock, could claim a Turboglide as the original transmission, and simply swap a Metric 200 into its place.

This may or may not "fly", but I'd say it makes sense from where I sit...

Last edited by bill dedman; 05-15-2008 at 03:25 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Tony Janes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It will fly
Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

This link will take you to a complete overhaul manual and also description of the operation of the transmission. It shows it is applicable to the 1958-1960 trans.

http://chevy.tocmp.com/trans/60tg/index.htm
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote