Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default NHRA Technical Bulletin: Helmets, Shields, and Blinders

From the NHRA site:

"NHRA Tech has posted changes to the 2008 Rules Revisions concerning General Regulations governing helmets and shields and windshield/windows. Basically it allows drivers in all classes to use tape on helmet shields, with certain provisions. There are NO CHANGES to restrictions as previously posted on the use of other blinders."

Page 88 (05/08)

Delete previous revision and replace with “The use of any temporary or permanent shielding, including paint, that obstructs the driver's vision (i.e. blinders, staging aids) that is attached to the helmet, window, windshield is prohibited. Permitted shielding must have a permanent attachment to the vehicle, such that it requires tools for removal. Tape, tie straps, binder clips, Velcro, glue, etc. are prohibited for attachment purposes. Vehicle mounted shielding is allowed to pivot as long as it remains permanently attached. Maximum size of shield: 4-inches by 8-inches. Re: helmet shield, see General Regulations, 10:7 Helmet and goggles, page 97.”

Page 97 (5/08)

In third paragraph: “Structural modifications to helmet/shield are prohibited. Cutting of helmet or helmet shield prohibited. Helmet must remain as manufactured, except for paint scheme/graphics and permitted non-structural driver modifications to helmet shield as set forth below. Taping or similar modifications to the helmet shield made by the driver that reduce the driver's field of vision, and are deemed safe by the driver in the driver's judgment, is allowed at this time so long as the driver demonstrates to the technical inspectors that the purpose of the modification is to reduce distraction in the driver's field of vision. By using such a modification to the helmet shield, the driver acknowledges and agrees that the driver deems such modification safe in the driver's judgment consistent with the driver's obligations in Section 1, Participant Agreements and Administrative and Procedural Rules, set forth above. In no way can the modification impair or interfere with the safe operation of the driver's vehicle.”
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Cool Re: NHRA Technical Bulletin: Helmets, Shields, and Blinders

Does that mean the pros have to abide by these rules?

Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
vic guilmino

Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts
Thumbs down Re: NHRA Technical Bulletin: Helmets, Shields, and Blinders

ed
i ask if i could make my helmet look like the pos and they said NO
why (ME ASK)
they are pors and can do anything
Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Tim Lisson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: NHRA Technical Bulletin: Helmets, Shields, and Blinders

“The use of any temporary or permanent shielding, including paint, that obstructs the driver's vision (i.e. blinders, staging aids) that is attached to the helmet, window, windshield is prohibited. Permitted shielding must have a permanent attachment to the vehicle, such that it requires tools for removal.

Is it just me or does that make no sense at all? First it says the use of permanent shielding is prohibited, then in the next paragraph it says permitted shielding must have a permanent attachment......

I'm glad I don't use a blinder.

Tim
Tim Lisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

It is always easier when you don't screw with the fine line of the rule book.
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Tim Lisson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rod-

Yes, as long as it is permanently attached to the vehicle so it takes tools to remove it and it is no bigger than 4" X 8", at least this is my interpertation after re-reading it, several times.

Tim
Tim Lisson is offline   Reply With Quote