HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
Matt S

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re-arch Calvert Mono Leaf?

Has anyone successfully re-arched Calvert mono leaf springs? I've got +1" height springs, and I still have trouble fitting a 30" tire on my '69 Camaro, even with extended shackles. Looks ridiculous with shackles that long. How is everyone fitting the 30x9? Can't do a whole bunch now because the car is painted, but a taller leaf spring would allow me to shorten the shackles back to stock length.
Matt S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
Ralph A Powell

Liked 202 Times in 123 Posts
Default Re: Re-arch Calvert Mono Leaf?

Call Calvert and talk to them. They are user friendly.
Ralph A Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
Matt S

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Hi Ralph,

I actually did talk to Calvert over the summer, and they suggested no, which I completely understand a manufacturer not recommending a user to modify their product. I just wanted to ask and see if anyone has done it in practice. Certainly if there's a way to fit the bigger tire in the wheelwell without touching the springs I would prefer that. I could go to a shorter 28" tire, but I see everyone running the 30x9 so I'm confident it can be done.
Matt S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
Henrys Toy

Liked 466 Times in 159 Posts
Smile Re: Re-arch Calvert Mono Leaf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
Has anyone successfully re-arched Calvert mono leaf springs? I've got +1" height springs, and I still have trouble fitting a 30" tire on my '69 Camaro, even with extended shackles. Looks ridiculous with shackles that long. How is everyone fitting the 30x9? Can't do a whole bunch now because the car is painted, but a taller leaf spring would allow me to shorten the shackles back to stock length.
Good morning to all,
I have a 1969 Chevy Nova body and years ago I found that arching the leaf spring 2" gave the body 4" of lift. This measurement also worked well on a friends 1969 Z/28 Stocker. Using a 4 1/2" to 5" back spaced wheel (rear) on a Camaro was a favorable offset. You might still have to "roll" the lip on the inside of the rear wheelwell , You didn't specify whether or not you're using a 8" wide or 10" rim. The 10" rim spreads the side walls of the slicks out some. While fitting this arrangement into your wheelwell check that the tire doesn't hit the forward part of the leaf spring also. This worked back in the 80's when we were first building theses cars and had to use "stock length" shackles.
Just more stuff to check, I hope this helps. Over the years the " 9 x 30 " slicks we use have grown some in size. Therefore fitting them where they belong has become a slightly larger challenge. The Camaro body has been an easier body to fit tires under then the Nova body. Its possible the back is too low or you'er trying to make the ride height to low, helping to exasperate the problem. There should be plenty of Camaro racers on this forum that can point you in the right direction.
Good luck and I hope some of this helps, have a Good Day.
P.S. this was done on stock leaf springs not aftermarket springs, Multiy and Mono leaf springs at the time.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA

Last edited by Henrys Toy; 11-14-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #5
John Dinkel

Liked 233 Times in 62 Posts

Ask Calvert for a for a spring that will raise your car 1 inch higher.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
Troy Henderson

Liked 106 Times in 33 Posts

Not trying to steal your thread but I have some new -1 rear-half Calvert monos to get rid of if anyone wants them. They are new, powder coated black and fit camaros/novas.
Troy Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:46 PM   #7
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,456 Times in 1,957 Posts

Yes on the Cuda
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote