HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT
     
   
   

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2024, 03:12 PM   #41
JP1738
Member
 
JP1738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 106
Likes: 166
Liked 138 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Also, there's a difference between battery voltage and alternator voltage.
It sounds like you have a stock tank inside the quarter panel.
In that case , you're also fighting inertia and siphon issues.
Fuel cells don't cost much on Ebay. You will need to place it inside a metal box on a wagon though.
The car has a fuel cell mounted in the spar tire compartment. It's about a 4 gallon cell. Guess I should have specified, apologies.
__________________
I need the back tire... and maybe the brake
JP1738 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:52 PM   #42
Stan Weiss
Senior Member
 
Stan Weiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Phila, PA
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Liked 495 Times in 269 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
True but I now have answers to both questions. Pressure never dips and volume is decent. Y'all really think 2GPM isn't enough to feed a 250hp 305? I'm as green as can be when it comes to racing stock and Q-jets but I still find that hard to believe. Maybe I can back-to-back it this weekend with and without the filter and see if it makes a difference. I'll let everyone know one way or the other.

ONE gallon in 37 seconds is only 1.62 GPM.


While that is over 550 pounds a hour which should easily support 1000 HP. It don't always work that way.


Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:00 PM   #43
Larry Hill
Live Reporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hickory, Ky
Posts: 10,250
Likes: 1,602
Liked 9,357 Times in 1,936 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Have the rear hangers been set to a standard? So both holes in the hanger lift the metering rods the same distance out of the jet. Somebody made a neat checker that could be used to adjusted and equalize the hangers.
__________________
IHM Used Parts
https://ihmusedparts.com
888-821-1817
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-08-2024, 02:35 PM   #44
JP1738
Member
 
JP1738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 106
Likes: 166
Liked 138 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Have the rear hangers been set to a standard? So both holes in the hanger lift the metering rods the same distance out of the jet. Somebody made a neat checker that could be used to adjusted and equalize the hangers.
Dog, I got no idea. I'm going to bolt on another one to either find the issue or rule it out. I got one coming from T-Stick that's pretty close. If it works better than the one I have now, I'll start taking it apart and seeing about how it's set up and what needs to change. The car was consistent with my Q-jet, just slow, so now If I can eliminate that variable I'll be able to see if that's my issue or not. While I have it off I'll take it apart and see if I can't get you guys some more answers
__________________
I need the back tire... and maybe the brake
JP1738 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:07 PM   #45
Chipper Chapman
Member
 
Chipper Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Belmont N.S. Canada
Posts: 448
Likes: 193
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
True but I now have answers to both questions. Pressure never dips and volume is decent. Y'all really think 2GPM isn't enough to feed a 250hp 305? I'm as green as can be when it comes to racing stock and Q-jets but I still find that hard to believe. Maybe I can back-to-back it this weekend with and without the filter and see if it makes a difference. I'll let everyone know one way or the other.
Your 305 should make in the 350hp area to be average. And a good rule of thumb I've found for supplying fuel to a Q-Jet engine, is to double the volume (or system hp rating) required for your said power level. IE engine makes 350, you need a system capable of 700 feeding it. The q-jet is great but can be quirky.

Also you most likely just have a whole bunch of small small issues adding up to some big losses. Only time and perseverance will fix that
__________________
Chris Chapman
1969 Chevelle
NHRA F-G/SA 1090
Chipper Chapman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:42 AM   #46
JP1738
Member
 
JP1738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 106
Likes: 166
Liked 138 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

HOLY **** BATMAN! My heap SET SAIL this past weekend at a Darlington Dragway test session! changing nothing but timing, shift points and an intake manifold from Tim Stickles, I picked up FOUR TENTHS. Granted, it was in 1000 ft of DA and in a 15 mph tail wind, but I cracked off a mind boggling .39 under in the 1/4 mile! Wow wow wow! I'm so happy, proud, and relieved! I'll see you all in Orlando!

I tried my carb, T Stick's carb, and Chad Taylors carb, but mine ended up being the fastest. I think Chad's showed the most potential as it ran really well through the middle but suffered in the 60ft as it was set up for a 2-step but I was foot breaking. Had a little stumble in it when it left but came alive and hauled the mail out the back. Hoping to get a hold of some one this weekend who can help me go through them to see if I can optimize one for my combo!

Thanks all for the advice and well wishes! We did it! We got under! Much appreciated to all!
__________________
I need the back tire... and maybe the brake

Last edited by JP1738; 02-12-2024 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Wrong track
JP1738 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:50 AM   #47
KennyAnderson
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 250
Likes: 23
Liked 243 Times in 86 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
HOLY **** BATMAN! My heap SET SAIL this past weekend at a Darlington Dragway test session! changing nothing but timing, shift points and an intake manifold from Tim Stickles, I picked up FOUR TENTHS. Granted, it was in 1000 ft of DA and in a 15 mph tail wind, but I cracked off a mind boggling .39 under in the 1/4 mile! Wow wow wow! I'm so happy, proud, and relieved! I'll see you all in Orlando!

I tried my carb, T Stick's carb, and Chad Taylors carb, but mine ended up being the fastest. I think Chad's showed the most potential as it ran really well through the middle but suffered in the 60ft as it was set up for a 2-step but I was foot breaking. Had a little stumble in it when it left but came alive and hauled the mail out the back. Hoping to get a hold of some one this weekend who can help me go through them to see if I can optimize one for my combo!

Thanks all for the advice and well wishes! We did it! We got under! Much appreciated to all!
Congrats Keeed!!! Look up Mike McDonald while at Orlando. He and Danny Ashley are my go to carb guys and Mike will be there with Kevin Wells. Just got both my carbs freshened up by him and ran the wagon this weekend with good results.
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Class Racer.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.