HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #81
Bpozzi

Liked 98 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: more news from NHRA

I totally agree with you he may not be liked in the camping community (I don’t think he’s spent a night in an RV in his life lol), but like Lew said above maybe it’s time to branch out and look at some non traditional sponsors. In this pandemic time, dollars are hard to come by. NHRA needs a title sponsor to survive, a sponsor that believes in what the foundation of drag racing is .
Liked
Old 09-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #82
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognelson777 View Post
I do not want companies or their bosses, managers to make political statements. Marcus did not call out Joe Biden or Kamala Harris when they said about BLM, there are good protesters out there, only a few bad eggs. Kind of the same comment Trump Made. My 2 cents
Pretty much every major corporation has at least some participation in politics. The list of companies that have donated to BLM is huge. You can't boycott them all!

The bottom line is that we NEED the NHRA to have sponsorship. I hear all of the talk about forming new organizations, but I don't see discussion about how the insurance, safety crew, tech crew, track crew, administrative team, etc. will be financed.........
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #83
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

Yes pretty much every major corporation has some participation in politics, and have been since the government decided to treat corporations like people and Citizen's United opened the flood gates to "dark money" contributions to Super PAC's! No "getting the toothpaste back in the tube" now!
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #84
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post

The bottom line is that we NEED the NHRA to have sponsorship. I hear all of the talk about forming new organizations, but I don't see discussion about how the insurance, safety crew, tech crew, track crew, administrative team, etc. will be financed.........
Baloney! WE need the NHRA Sportsman Series to have sponsorship and Lucas Oil is doing a fine job of that.
How much Coca Cola money have YOU seen? That's all for the pros and campers world will be too.
Go talk to a track owner/manager and find out who's paying the bills for Divisional Events. It's not NHRA, they're just taking their cut.

And OBTW, I accidentally "liked" your post. Kenny, we need an un-like button!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #85
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Billy,

You are missing my point. The NHRA needs the Sportsman classes. That is obvious. I really don't feel that the Sportsman series is worth much without National Events. The two are somewhat co-dependent. The NHRA organization provides a lot of stuff that gets overlooked in these conversations. I was just pointing a few out.

I'm going to go ahead and "like" your post. Even though I don't mean it I figure it will cancel yours out!

Last edited by GUMP; 09-23-2020 at 03:01 PM.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #86
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Baloney! WE need the NHRA Sportsman Series to have sponsorship and Lucas Oil is doing a fine job of that.
How much Coca Cola money have YOU seen? That's all for the pros and campers world will be too.
Go talk to a track owner/manager and find out who's paying the bills for Divisional Events. It's not NHRA, they're just taking their cut.

Aren't we talking NATIONAL EVENT sponsorships here? Nobody's been talking about the Sportsman Series, or why it would matter WHO supplies the money to run the National Events, have they? Other than the extremely unlikely possibility that if no sponsor can be found there may not BE any National Events, the Sportsman Series AT THE DIVISIONAL level shouldn't be affected, or am I missing something?
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #87
r429469

Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpozzi View Post
I totally agree with you he may not be liked in the camping community (I don’t think he’s spent a night in an RV in his life lol), but like Lew said above maybe it’s time to branch out and look at some non traditional sponsors. In this pandemic time, dollars are hard to come by. NHRA needs a title sponsor to survive, a sponsor that believes in what the foundation of drag racing is .
Winston and Camel were non automotive sponsors.

William Sands
r429469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #88
Michael Compton

Liked 59 Times in 12 Posts

It does matter what happens with the overall title sponsor. If NHRA goes bankrupt, do you really think Lucas Oil wants to be associated with them? Yeah, not much of the money from Coke trickles down to the sportsman but if the upper echelon fails, so does the whole company! NHRA failing does none of us any good.

I could care less of what Camping World's owners has to say about politics. If we boycotted every company because of their political contributions or affiliations, we would not have much to eat, drink or drive! As long as he is throwing his $'s toward NHRA and keeping it afloat, then we have additional places to race.
Michael Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #89
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts

Why is it that when Tom Compton tried to "sell off" the pro series of the NHRA most of the NHRA Sportsman people (including Tech people) I spoke to thought it was a good thing and now the Sportsmen can't wipe their own butts without the pros? We are the only part of the organization that can even remotely come close to supporting ourselves.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #90
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,582 Times in 1,279 Posts

You guys are hilarious, Camping World has gone on record stating they do not need or want TRUMP supporters as customers...did you happen to see how many TRUMP decals were on the race cars at INDY ?,,,,,,Over 15,000 members on this forum and how many are dems ?....my guess is less than 1%.....

Last edited by MR DERBY CITY; 09-23-2020 at 06:48 PM.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote