Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default Re: Slow Stockers...Strong Divisional Finishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4284spd View Post
Just a curious question for the slower stock racers, do you race a slow combo because of financial reasons or do you feel that there is a advantage with them? Serious question.
And do you want to go to a quicker combo if you could?
Ya know, I had a prominent S/SS Racer tell me once that "if you can't be the fastest car then be the slowest car". He always felt that there is a distinct advantage either way.

Stock (and SS) is unique because of the many different combos that are available to the Racers. Is a -1.20 AA/SA Hemi car "faster" than a -1.20 W/S Pinto wagon? No, it isn't. It might be "quicker" but not "faster" and it will get you the same punishment.

I can only speak for myself but I just enjoy doing something "different" from what everyone else is doing. A pretty significant amount of time and money went into my 6 CYL. cars. Maybe not as much as a 396/375 combo but they weren't "Dime Rockets" either. Finances definitely come into the picture but when you're racing for the same purse (which is a joke today) unless you're racing to feed your ego, it isn't about what you spend but what you keep. I like to "play" with the "Dime rocket" and FWD stuff because it makes me think and I get bored easy. And I would like to think that it might encourage a few wanna-be Racers to give it a try.

Every once in a while I get a chance to take a "quick" car for a ride and I do enjoy the experience but I don't have any overpowering urge to go any "quicker". Now "faster", that's a different story.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #12
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6868 View Post
Whether you choose to spend 15 grand or 150 grand on your car, you can win. Proven by Lang and others. The beauty of stock eliminator.
They say that, "The cream always rises to the top"!

One interesting thing. We freshened the 307 motor in the Cutlass and my 6.2 COPO motor this year. The cost was pretty much the same. It proves that once you own the car, the overhead can be controlled.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 503 Times in 126 Posts

Great job by all. Racers and spectators love a Q/S vs FS/A!
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #14
parkman1487

Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Congrats to everyone on this list. It is not easy running a slower car in stock with as fast as things are getting, but boy it sure is fun. Like Ellis and I discussed the other day, if all you've ever driven is slow stuff then you feel right at home.
parkman1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #15
1matcoman

Liked 281 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
Great job by all. Racers and spectators love a Q/S vs FS/A!
A most excellent point! I sit in the stands alot to watch Stock and Super Stock and I will say that the races with a huge handicap do, indeed, get the crowd buzzing. Sadly, most of the fans (?) have gone back to the pits or to the concession stand, but the ones who stay and watch really get into the slow vs. fast cars.
1matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #16
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Slow cars are at a disadvantage until NHRA commits to Tru-start system. (redlight first)
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #17
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
Slow cars are at a disadvantage until NHRA commits to Tru-start system. (redlight first)
Ya know, back in the old days, a "slow" Stocker was at the disadvantage of the first red-light but it was offset by a "fast" Stocker possibly spinning the tires on pre-prep starting lines.
Now that you can't walk out on a starting line without losing a shoe because we are racing in a time when the starting lines are spray-glued, the possibility of a "fast" Stocker spinning are significantly less. With that being said, I do think that it's time for NHRA to commit to Tru-start. It only seems fair to take away both disadvantages.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #18
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Question Re: Slow Stockers...Strong Divisional Finishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Ya know, back in the old days, a "slow" Stocker was at the disadvantage of the first red-light but it was offset by a "fast" Stocker possibly spinning the tires on pre-prep starting lines.
Now that you can't walk out on a starting line without losing a shoe because we are racing in a time when the starting lines are spray-glued, the possibility of a "fast" Stocker spinning are significantly less. With that being said, I do think that it's time for NHRA to commit to Tru-start. It only seems fair to take away both disadvantages.
Billy you have some valid points - but when was the last time you sat on the converter giving a six second head start ? Fast cars can't always wait for the green .....How about we switch cars one day.

Last edited by Jack Matyas; 11-12-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Jack Matyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #19
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Matyas View Post
Billy you have some valid points - but when was the last time you sat on the converter giving a six second head start ? Fast cars can't always wait for the green .....
And you too have a valid point Jack - but when was the last time you watched the starting line crew spraying the track while you were sitting in the waterbox and wishing that you could dial up 2 hun? When was the last time you were sitting in the pre-stage beam and watched the flag go from head to tail and knew that you were going to run out by a tenth or not cover?

As far as switching cars one day, let me know. I think that you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited by Billy Nees; 11-12-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #20
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas

Billy- the real point is that neither have an advantage as they both have bad points ....and congrats to the 'slow' cars that finished strong this year ! ! !