HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #21
B Parker

Liked 2,311 Times in 454 Posts
Default Re: If you were a newbie to the Stock eliminator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lca1971 View Post
Which car would you build? I'm looking at the C5 Vette, Gen 5 Camaro, the new style Dodge Challenger or what? Knowing that the rear suspensions in these cars listed have to be changed over to straight axle. Any and all input is welcome, pos or neg!

Thanks in advanced... Chris
Before you stick the Stock needle in your arm I would buy a set of golf clubs and see how you are at that. Once the needle is in there is no known cure!! BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #22
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lca1971 View Post
Which car would you build? I'm looking at the C5 Vette, Gen 5 Camaro, the new style Dodge Challenger or what? Knowing that the rear suspensions in these cars listed have to be changed over to straight axle. Any and all input is welcome, pos or neg!

Thanks in advanced... Chris
I guess we have established the fact that you are ready to spend some money. I would call bill dyer up and buy his 352 stickshift CobraJet. It flies and doesn't eat parts.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #23
rboyle

Liked 554 Times in 156 Posts

Regardless of build it or buy one, I'd look for one that fit many different classes and engine combos and a body style you like or love.
You can then either change engine combos or year of car or class. Buy or build a brand you are familiar with to soften the learning curve too.
rboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #24
SDT1DYI

Liked 394 Times in 124 Posts

My 2 cents, have a clear and honest understanding of your goals in racing. Is driving and winning races the most important part? If so, buy a complete car that's Legal and fast. If fiqureing can out how and what makes a car run 1 under the index is No 1 on your priority list, buy a good roller. Then buy a used starter motor from a top engine builder that will get you .5 under and wear it out getting your feet on the ground with Stock Racing. Then build the motor you want, as you will have a much better idea of what really works and equally important, what does NOT work.
Stocker racers are a great bunch, always helpfully if you ask correctly.

Steve Teeter Stk SS 6380/ 6283
Good Luck......
SDT1DYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #25
countrypuppy4865

Liked 183 Times in 62 Posts

Camaro and challenger are easier to work on than the vette for sure. Both have many combinations can be run as FS or street version.
countrypuppy4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #26
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 334 Times in 132 Posts
Thumbs up Re: If you were a newbie to the Stock eliminator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDT1DYI View Post
My 2 cents, have a clear and honest understanding of your goals in racing. Is driving and winning races the most important part? If so, buy a complete car that's Legal and fast. If fiqureing can out how and what makes a car run 1 under the index is No 1 on your priority list, buy a good roller. Then buy a used starter motor from a top engine builder that will get you .5 under and wear it out getting your feet on the ground with Stock Racing. Then build the motor you want, as you will have a much better idea of what really works and equally important, what does NOT work.
Stocker racers are a great bunch, always helpfully if you ask correctly.

Steve Teeter Stk SS 6380/ 6283
Good Luck......
Very close to the path I chose; happy with the results to date and still have plenty of targets to hit before boredom sets in.
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #27
DexnBlair

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts

I am building mine. However, my reason for it is that I have been out of racing for years. My daughter is 13 now and has shown an interest in cars so this is going to be our project. I want her to understand and appreciate what goes into a car as well as a solid understanding so she is not ever taken advantage of. We are doing everything from the motor to the chassis to the body work, paint, etc.
DexnBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #28
lca1971

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Friar View Post
Chris, my first question is what do you want to do with the car? What is your build budget? Also then what is your skill level and mechanical aptitude? Do you want to win class at the US Nationals or even just the ~-.80 or more in the summer heat it takes to make the field? Just divisionals or nationals too, local S/SS series and local bracket racing or what mix?
With one kid that just graduated college and one that just started, its easier for me to build the car than buy one. Forking over 60-70k in one lump sum is not in the cards at the moment and that's not a COPO, CJ or a Drag Pack. you can add another 50+ from what I've seen. I set a goal to have it on the track in around a year, year and a half. Maybe sooner if things fall into place.

I'm a Aircraft Tech/Engineering Tech by trade. I've worked on and raced a small tire nitrous mustang for many years. Not fastest in the land but middle of the pack car. Wasn't willing to send every dime on the cars! I've learned that no matter how good you are. In heads up racing the guy with the deepest pockets will always have a better air pump, and you can only fight them off for soon long with hard work and brains! I'm sure its the same way in S/SS but it seems this is kept in check for the most part by the index's! Please correct me I'm wrong. I've been reading over all the rules and I've got a lot to learn! LOL

I want to run many different events, local. divisional, national and I would love to win class at Indy!!! As I'm sure a lot of guys and gals would!!! One day... I'm kind of leaning towards a stick car. Have a friend that runs UMTR and he loves it! Less consistent, more work, but it looks like more fun!

As far as the car goes. It seems the Camaro has the better engine out of the box, over the Mopar. Are there any guys the run the new style Challenger in the slower classes? Has anyone taking a street car and made it in to a stocker or has everyone just bought a Drag Pack car? Really like the Challenger but it looks like the most work out of the bunch and I can't find any info on converting it to a straight axle rear suspension! (IF ANYONE HAS KNOWNLAGE ON THIS PLAESE PM ME!!!!) The corvette seems to like it will be the hardest to work on based on the size of the car. So, at this moment in time I'm leaning towards the Camaro. Will probably change 50 times before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the responses. Keep them coming. Chris

Last edited by lca1971; 11-14-2019 at 11:17 AM.
lca1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #29
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts

It seems to me after reading your "resume" that you'll fit in just fine. Have fun!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #30
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Chris, if you have the least bit of interest in a Challenger you need to call Jeff Teuton...he is DA MAN. If he doesn’t have what you need he’ll know someone who does.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked