HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #41
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,452 Times in 1,956 Posts
Default Re: Mopar 383 Connecting Rods

It looks like a setting fixture for a cap grinder, I don't have one but it looks like a nice piece. I think you made reference to it in an early post on removing taper from rod bores.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #42
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
It looks like a setting fixture for a cap grinder, I don't have one but it looks like a nice piece. I think you made reference to it in an early post on removing taper from rod bores.

YES! this tool is used for dialing in the cap grinder.

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 11-23-2019 at 10:03 AM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #43
HP HUNTER

Larry

How about this one: What is it, and whats it used for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	52639  
Old 11-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #44
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Answer can be found in post #10, don't forget the Allen wrench to make AG300 read the largest when using. I prefer to have final adjustment on screw on the upward motion so the lash in the screw is taken up. Use the smaller ring on smaller holes.

Be easy on me I do most of my stuff in my backyard, but I do enjoy learning

Last edited by Larry Hill; 11-23-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #45
HP HUNTER

Quote:
Answer can be found in post #10, don't forget the Allen wrench to make AG300 read the largest when using. I prefer to have final adjustment on screw on the upward motion so the lash in the screw is taken up. Use the smaller ring on smaller holes.

Be easy on me I do most of my stuff in my backyard, but I do enjoy learning
Right again! I think you might know a thing or two, obviously you know your way around a machine shop. Harold Bettes speaks highly of you, we would like you to stop by the shop in your coast to coast travels!
Old 11-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #46
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

I know I would enjoy the exchange of ideas, and I will learn something that will help my racing program.

My checkered past.
Paul Tune, my teacher and supervisor, and I built and raced a .34 cu. in. glow engines by de-boreing an O.S. Max .40 cu. in. rear rotor engine. So we made tool steel heat treated liners, pistons (.737 dia.), wrist pins (.188 dia.), pin locks (.018 dia.), dykes rings (.020 thickness land pined in place) and heads. It was making the fixtures and tooling that would yield the desired results with repeat-ability that was the biggest challenge. The most difficult operation was drilling a .031 hole, for the roll pin to pin ring, in a .021 ring land without hitting ring land on piston.
We got to play with grit size, cross hatch angle, taper, truing sleeves, cutting pressure, and holding fixtures. Tune built the adapter for the AG 300 so we could check taper in the liner from top to bottom.
A lot of fun and a lot of work. We tried for perfect every time. We said it many times "Big holes big problems, little holes bigger problems"

We would run as high 70% nitro in the engines. 70% was tops because the other 30% was a mixture of oil, alcohol, and CH3CHCH2O . Dr. Hill, no relation, would be so proud if I only knew how make the numbers small for the chemical notation. When we wanted to go fast clear laboratory grade nitro, no dye, was used.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #47
HP HUNTER

Quote:
I know I would enjoy the exchange of ideas, and I will learn something that will help my racing program.

My checkered past.
Paul Tune, my teacher and supervisor, and I built and raced a .34 cu. in. glow engines by de-boreing an O.S. Max .40 cu. in. rear rotor engine. So we made tool steel heat treated liners, pistons (.737 dia.), wrist pins (.188 dia.), pin locks (.018 dia.), dykes rings (.020 thickness land pined in place) and heads. It was making the fixtures and tooling that would yield the desired results with repeat-ability that was the biggest challenge. The most difficult operation was drilling a .031 hole, for the roll pin to pin ring, in a .021 ring land without hitting ring land on piston.
We got to play with grit size, cross hatch angle, taper, truing sleeves, cutting pressure, and holding fixtures. Tune built the adapter for the AG 300 so we could check taper in the liner from top to bottom.
A lot of fun and a lot of work. We tried for perfect every time. We said it many times "Big holes big problems, little holes bigger problems"

We would run as high 70% nitro in the engines. 70% was tops because the other 30% was a mixture of oil, alcohol, and CH3CHCH2O . Dr. Hill, no relation, would be so proud if I only knew how make the numbers small for the chemical notation. When we wanted to go fast clear laboratory grade nitro, no dye, was used.

Well it would make sense your knowledge of the Sunnen hone. Precision honing is absolutely critical to the glow plug engine. Over the years as Cox manufacturing was sold to various conglomerates, maintaining the honing precision was a constant problem eventually leading to the demise of Cox.
I'am a BIG fan of Roy Cox.